5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Casting Failure!?

BrockBoe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to the forum. But the content is amazing. I have a 2021 ram 1500 rebel with 40,800 miles on it. I love my truck like no one business and I have it all set up for camping and race weekends. Some pictures of the truck below… Then we will get to the big fail on Ram.

IMG_9925.jpeg

Ok, so my current big issue is… I have the factory 4 corner air suspension. The drivers side front started to sag after my daughters birthday party Saturday, and I’m like here we go.

I got home. Got out soapy water solution and heard a strong leak. I was hoping it was a fitting and went to my shop to dig in. Took wheel off. Took air strut out and found this. The casting is literally rotted and crumbling. How is this possibly. Called the Chrysler 1-800 number got a general person and they pretty much said to bad so sad.

I am looking at $1,182 for a single replacement air strut since this is not serviceable. Anyone have any input on what to do. Bite the bullet? Anyone know anyone else I can get involved to maybe help? Thank you.

IMG_9184.jpeg
IMG_9183.jpeg

E.Hands

Reaction score
That is unfortunate and the first time that I have heard of this. It appears to have corroded? Any history about what if anything it was exposed to in it's environment? ie: harsh chemicals, engine cleaners, salt? Perhaps some contaminate during the casting process? It appears to be aluminum or pot metal cast.
Have you inspected the other three yet?
Can you please share the part numbers of your front shocks? I always wondered if they ask for a core when you purchase new ones.

On a side note, what type of racing?

BrockBoe

Reaction score
I haven’t inspected the other 3 at all since you have to pull them out completely to see the tops where this happened.

The part numbers I received are these…
Rt shock 68318302ah $1,210
Lt shock 68318303ah $1,138.50

As for racing. I do something called drifting if you have ever heard of it. It’s essentially maintaining the car in a slide through a whole course. I have 3 different Nissan s14’s. I attach photos below. The silver one is the fastest at 551hp the blue one I drove the most. Just a 300hp street fun car. On instgram my name is @BrockBoe

IMG_9207.jpeg

IMG_9208.jpeg

IMG_9209.jpeg

E.Hands

Reaction score
Very cool! I'm a big fan. I had a 1968 Camaro (550HP) street car that I drag raced and then 2001 BMW M Coupe (800HP / 600TRQ) street car that I ran on several road courses in Louisiana and Texas. Only spectated at two drift contests but would love to see more!

Question: Are those part numbers from the Ram parts counter guy? Have you verified with what is on the sticker on the bottom of the the shocks themselves? Does your Rebel have the Bilstein dampers?
My parts guy quoted me:
RHD: 68260910AF $1,008
LHD: 68260911AF $950
For my Longhorn

BrockBoe

Reaction score
That’s amazing. I love road racing as well. So cool. And yeah those are from the part guy. I have the bilstein air shocks. Here is a picture of mine.

IMG_9188.jpeg

BrockBoe

Reaction score
Part number 25 on diagram is what I need. But ram doesn’t sell that part. I can get just the shock. But can’t buy the single piece I need. $1,200 for a $10 piece of cast. Anyone have a way to get parts lol. 73315161978__D578E27D-D7E6-4FE7-BBE5-38A06D68821F.jpeg

E.Hands

Reaction score
That's amazing I just ordered a pair of those shocks 68323489AD ($340 each) to retrofit, if possible to my air bags.

BrockBoe

Reaction score
It’s the cast piece under the valve. When you disconnect the line on top the air or nitrogen dumps out of the air shock. Literally my only issue is that #25.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I bet that you just unfortunately got a bad casting. You just need to get a hold of someone's old blown air bag.
I wonder if the 4th Gen air suspension parts were the same:

BrockBoe

Reaction score
I am currently exploring the steel it, and epoxy fix since it’s bad casting. I used steel it for a layer a couple days ago. Installed last night. Almost no leak. But I sprayed soapy water on it, and there is a small leak still. Not nearly as drastic. Going to pull it back out tonight. Clean it up some and throw a layer a 5600 psi epoxy over it. That will be a band aid fix until I can find a new piece. My ocd won’t let me leave it that way. I always have concerns of issues on long trips.

BrockBoe

Reaction score
I agree it doesn’t see more than 100 psi. I just found this kit. I am curious if I am capable of rebuilding my air strut lol

IMG_9214.png

E.Hands

Reaction score
Nice find, that should work.
Repair and replacement absolutely should be covered under warranty since it is a manufacturer defect.
But it sounds like you are like me and would rather avoid the hassle and do the work myself.

BrockBoe

Reaction score
I would be happy having it taken care of. But I can’t get anyone from FCA to hear me out or even look at a photo. It’s definitely a defect. But they could care less. I just need to get a diagram on how the shock comes apart.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Have you contacted: @RamCares yet?
Did you read the break down proceedures in those links that I provided? Although I have yet to do it, it seems pretty straight forward.
Please answer me this: When I go to disconnect the air line from the shock assembly how do I keep from leaking out or contaminating the rest of the system?

BrockBoe

Reaction score
I still need to check out your links. I also did message ramcares and nothing back yet.

When you disconnect that nozzle some air comes out. But not much. It is like a 2 second count and stops. I don’t know what stops it. But I did the level kit and link on my air struts as well and never had issue with the system not working due to pressure or nitrogen.

Users who are viewing this thread