5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension bad idea if near payload capacity?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
keep in mind the HDs have a totally 100% different system. They only level the rear coils. They do not have 4 corner air, or I'd have gone to a 3500.

True they only level the rear, but not leveling rear coils.

2500 coils are replaced with air springs.

3500 air springs are supplemental to leafs (overload leaf removed).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the system is a sealed air system. the compressor is more of a shuttle to move air between the sealed nitrogen tank and the suspension. If the system opens to atmosphere it shuts down the pump. It won't burn out.
I’m assuming you’re referring to stock, but I’m talking about aftermarket perspective with a traditional compressor and tank, which is the only times I’ve had bags blow out.

I haven't researched the theory and operation of the stock ram air suspension yet, but the concept should be the same if its a sealed system- the change being that bag has lost pressure and the supply tank is depleted. However, I would hope they would put in logic that if the amount of air that has moved from the tank through the solenoid is more than the bag’s volumetric rating, then it would slam the solenoid shut.

Goldsy

Reaction score
My Limited is rated at 1400lbs payload. How do they know your payload rating? I agree its right at the limit but no way I see you bursting an airbag from a jolt being right at or even over the load rating.
That’s a really good payload for a limited. Mine is only 1190.

1D32319

Reaction score
OP, do you already have the camper? If not, have you considered a bumper pull camper? That way you can easily get away with the 1500.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I had a front wheel bearing go on my 03 ram. Wheel came completely off in a turn. Armed with that experience and knowledge, and to be safe, I almost ordered my 5th gen without wheels.

After much consideration I decided to give them one more try. Thinking it's been worth the risk. So far so good.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’d go with the coils in this case. HD would be best, but at least you can upgrade the steel suspension to better handle the load, if you decide to go half ton. To my knowledge there aren’t any aftermarket upgrades available for the air suspension.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the system is a sealed air system. the compressor is more of a shuttle to move air between the sealed nitrogen tank and the suspension. If the system opens to atmosphere it shuts down the pump. It won't burn out.
Hitch installer ran the air lines next to the exhaust and they melted. System just **** down to prevent damage.

lkjk

Reaction score
I’d go with the coils in this case. HD would be best, but at least you can upgrade the steel suspension to better handle the load, if you decide to go half ton. To my knowledge there aren’t any aftermarket upgrades available for the air suspension.

Second this. I just lifted mine and have clayton triple rate coils on the rear, which would be a good choice.

The ram replaced my grand cherokee with air suspension. It was nice, but after rubbing through an air line and the front deflating at highway speeds, made me a little skeptical.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s a really good payload for a limited. Mine is only 1190.

Yeah, IDK. I keep seeing all these post about Limited's and Longhorns being the heaviest but the dealer left the shipping paperwork in my truck. BNSF has my trucks shipped weight at 5273lbs and the yellow tag in the door sill states 1352 payload (not 1400). Mine truck doesn't seem heavy compared to others

weight-jpg.68367
20210924_151440.jpg

Goldsy

Reaction score
Yeah, IDK. I keep seeing all these post about Limited's and Longhorns being the heaviest but the dealer left the shipping paperwork in my truck. BNSF has my trucks shipped weight at 5273lbs and the yellow tag in the door sill states 1352 payload (not 1400). Mine truck doesn't seem heavy compared to others

I see yours isn't a 4x4. Mine is, that would make a significant difference in weight for the front differential, transfer case, etc.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I see yours isn't a 4x4. Mine is, that would make a significant difference in weight for the front differential, transfer case, etc.

Yeah, while 4x4 is cool and all, I had zero real use for it.
Told myself that If I bought a boat it would be handy then myself slapped me and said you ain't buying no gd boat and you aint off-roading an expensive new truck. I agreed with myself and went with 4x2. Times ever stuck in snow or mud, zero.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Yeah, while 4x4 is cool and all, I had zero real use for it.
Told myself that If I bought a boat it would be handy then myself slapped me and said you ain't buying no gd boat and you aint off-roading an expensive new truck. I agreed with myself and went with 4x2. Times ever stuck in snow or mud, zero.
I live on the Atlantic Coast of Canada. 4x4 certainly comes in handy here. But I agree with you, if you don't need it, no sense paying for it. That explains the payload mystery though ;)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

weight-jpg.68367
View attachment 106260
Mines about the same at 1383

BowDown

Reaction score
Mines about the same at 1383
Guessing no sunroof? Interesting, it's only worth about 30lbs. I've seen people here quote 100#lb impact on payload for the sunroof

Last edited:

Goldsy

Reaction score
Guessing no sunroof? Interesting, it's only worth about 30lbs. I've people quote 100#lb impact on payload for the sunroof
Or no 4x4. That saves about 150lbs as well.

BowDown

Reaction score
Or no 4x4. That saves about 150lbs as well.
I bet having no 4x4 saves more than that, front diff is probably 100lbs itself then 3 other drive shafts and a transfer case but I'm specifically looking at the differences between trooper and my truck. If his has no sunroof the the sunroof is only a 30lb hit on payload, not the 100 many claim

lkjk

Reaction score
I bet having no 4x4 saves more than that, front diff is probably 100lbs itself then 3 other drive shafts and a transfer case but I'm specifically looking at the differences between trooper and my truck. If his has no sunroof the the sunroof is only a 30lb hit on payload, not the 100 many claim
Super dumb Q, since i've never had a 4x2. They don't have a Tcase? Don't they still need to reduce the tranny speed?

BowDown

Reaction score
Super dumb Q, since i've never had a 4x2. They don't have a Tcase? Don't they still need to reduce the tranny speed?
No transfer case on non 4x4 trucks. Trans, driveshaft, rear differential, that's it.
Don't know what you mean regarding reducing trans speed

JC4041

Reaction score
I remember when the 4th gens first came out they STONGLY voiced against 1500's and slide ins. But that was before all the air ride fancy stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread