5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension bad idea if near payload capacity?

beachdogs

Reaction score
My Limited is rated at 1400lbs payload. How do they know your payload rating? I agree its right at the limit but no way I see you bursting an airbag from a jolt being right at or even over the load rating.
that is really my only question at this point, if I'm occasionally riding at or near payload capacity, to get the 1500 with or without air suspension. my dealer insists its just a disaster waiting to happen with air suspension even near bed payload capacity. I have air suspension on my 6 year old grand cherokee V8 and never had a single issue and rides like a dream so I'm partial to it.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
that is really my only question at this point, if I'm occasionally riding at or near payload capacity, to get the 1500 with or without air suspension. my dealer insists its just a disaster waiting to happen with air suspension even near bed payload capacity. I have air suspension on my 6 year old grand cherokee V8 and never had a single issue and rides like a dream so I'm partial to it.

Yeah, I disagree with the dealers assertion completely. They didn't design a system that will fail at at the slightest hint of overloading much less being at the limit.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is, it's 1200-1400 lbs BEFORE considering passengers and other cargo. More likely around 2000 lbs when you're loaded up and running down the highway.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I disagree with the dealers assertion completely. They didn't design a system that will fail at at the slightest hint of overloading much less being at the limit.
There will be a 'safety factor' built into the design, but the issue is nobody here knows what that multiplier is.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There will be a 'safety factor' built into the design, but the issue is nobody here knows what that multiplier is.
And that factor of safety is for God to use, not us mortals. If you push things to the ultimate capacity (i.e., beyond the safe working capacity), then the slightest bump on the highway WILL do damage.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think a 2500 is the answer for OP. 1400lbs is a lot, especially for a Limited. Wasn't there a 2500 owner who popped airbags while overloaded?

Yes, there's a post on hdrams.com

He was pulling a huge 5th wheel and didn't have the Alt trailer Height (lowers 1" to level) selected. Hit a big sharp dip and popped a bag.

As mentioned there was also a 3500 owner that was overloaded with a large slide in camper that got the Payload Protection Indicator and apparently the Exhaust Brake stopped working while overloaded.

Furthermore, a light slide-in pop up is OK for a 2500, but a full height camper close to payload is a bad idea. The 2500 coils (or bags) are inboard and ill suited for carry high COG loads unless you add aftermarket bags outboard. Even some of the heavier slide-in campers close to a 3500 SRW payload need a DRW (Dually) for more stability.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the 1500 that the OP is asking about? Yes I know for a fact

I have no idea about the HD system

They work essentially the same. The air system will disable if overloaded and throw an overload indicator. AFAIK it also sets a code and could set you up for warranty denial if something breaks.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They work essentially the same. The air system will disable if overloaded and throw an overload indicator. AFAIK it also sets a code and could set you up for warranty denial if something breaks.

I can tell you from experience that the 1500’s air system does not disable itself if the payload sticker is slightly exceeded.

The consensus has been that the system is good for ~2,000 lbs payload before it disables.

I’ve been just shy of that number and had no issues with the system

LouNY

Reaction score
My "19" Laramie has the air suspension and a one ton load in the box did disable the air suspension,
it was in the standard mode when the pallet was loaded, the truck lowered to the areo mode on it's own
and would not lower or raise untill I got unloaded.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My "19" Laramie has the air suspension and a one ton load in the box did disable the air suspension,
it was in the standard mode when the pallet was loaded, the truck lowered to the areo mode on it's own
and would not lower or raise untill I got unloaded.
Airing down doesn't seem to be an issue when over, but the system will not FILL the bags when over. Been over quite a few times, and just have to unload for the system to reset. The safety works well, and have towed long distances with it tripped with no problems.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is from the 1500 Owners Manual:

Protection Strategy
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle
will disable load leveling as required (suspension overloaded,
battery charge low, etc.). Load leveling will automatically
resume as soon as system operation requirements are
met. See your authorized dealer if system does not resume.
NOTE:
If towing with air suspension refer to “Trailer Towing” in
“Starting And Operating” for further information.

I'm not sure what "disable load leveling" means. Does it just stop filling the airbags, do the deflate, etc ??????
It wont adjust the height at all. you get a warning that the system is disabled due to payload. even if the bed is empty and your aren't towing anything. because a puddle makes the sensor think you are over payload.

beachdogs

Reaction score
It wont adjust the height at all. you get a warning that the system is disabled due to payload. even if the bed is empty and your aren't towing anything. because a puddle makes the sensor think you are over payload.
anyone ever have a completely blown air bag? is there no suspension left and the truck is completely immobile?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If this is a major concern, then contact the manufacturer of the air bags to see the specs that would cause a failure condition. Anything outside of that is speculation.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
anyone ever have a completely blown air bag? is there no suspension left and the truck is completely immobile?
Yes I have, and no, it will just ride down the road fully compressed.

Edit: I should add a caveat to this: when you blow out a bag, you’ll most likely burn up the compressor if you try to drive for extended periods of time. The rest of the suspension lowering is not a concern due to electronic solenoids remaining shut even when one bag fails.

Last edited:

beachdogs

Reaction score

Edit: I should add a caveat to this: when you blow out a bag, you’ll most likely burn up the compressor if you try to drive for extended periods of time. The rest of the suspension lowering is not a concern due to electronic solenoids remaining shut even when one bag fails.
thanks for your input. i've had air suspension on my grand cherokee summit V8 for six years and loved every minute of it. put it on adaptive cruise for long road trips and feels like a bullet train..... i'll just try to keep things under capacity on my 1500

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for your input. i've had air suspension on my grand cherokee summit V8 for six years and loved every minute of it. put it on adaptive cruise for long road trips and feels like a bullet train..... i'll just try to keep things under capacity on my 1500
I can get much more detailed if you ever need it, but I don’t have as deep a knowledge as the manufacturer of the bags.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that the 1500’s air system does not disable itself if the payload sticker is slightly exceeded.

The consensus has been that the system is good for ~2,000 lbs payload before it disables.

I’ve been just shy of that number and had no issues with the system

Never said how much it had to be overloaded. It will disable if overloaded. Consensus on HD's has been around 600 over which is in line with what you're saying @~2K on the 1500.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never said how much it had to be overloaded. It will disable if overloaded. Consensus on HD's has been around 600 over which is in line with what you're saying @~2K on the 1500.

Max payload on the 1500 isn’t 1400 lbs, it’s around 2,000 lbs.

basically it seems the system is designed for the 1500’s Max payload, and those of us who have payload below that benefit from it

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
keep in mind the HDs have a totally 100% different system. They only level the rear coils. They do not have 4 corner air, or I'd have gone to a 3500.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

the system is a sealed air system. the compressor is more of a shuttle to move air between the sealed nitrogen tank and the suspension. If the system opens to atmosphere it shuts down the pump. It won't burn out.

Users who are viewing this thread