5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension bad idea if near payload capacity?

beachdogs

Reaction score
was about to finalize order of 2022 1500 Limited and the local dealer was quite adamant that it is a horrible idea to have a truck with air suspension if I'm planning on occasionally putting a lightweight pop-up camper (1200-1400 lbs) in the bed (which I know will be pushing the payload limit). he said hit one bad bump and that air suspension could easily blow, leaving me DOA. I was considering a 2500 but after test driving it I really prefer the 1500 ride especially with the etorqe engine, and its really overkill for something I may fully utilize maybe 3-5% of the time. I have read through a lot of the threads where people have loaded 2000 lbs no problem but it seem those tests were pretty short distances. Any thoughts? thanks.

LHarv

Reaction score
You'll be over payload immediately. I have a fully loaded limited with air but only get 1150lbs payload all in. So I'd be going for the 2500 if you're loading it down with over 2000lbs.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
was about to finalize order of 2022 1500 Limited and the local dealer was quite adamant that it is a horrible idea to have a truck with air suspension if I'm planning on occasionally putting a lightweight pop-up camper (1200-1400 lbs) in the bed (which I know will be pushing the payload limit). he said hit one bad bump and that air suspension could easily blow, leaving me DOA. I was considering a 2500 but after test driving it I really prefer the 1500 ride especially with the etorqe engine, and its really overkill for something I may fully utilize maybe 3-5% of the time. I have read through a lot of the threads where people have loaded 2000 lbs no problem but it seem those tests were pretty short distances. Any thoughts? thanks.
My opinion he's full of $#!+. I occasionally pulled some farm implements and skid steers which were CONSIDERABLY over rated tow/hitch weight rating with no issues. I took my time when I was pulling for safety & to take it easy on the drivetrain. Keep in mind these half ton trucks are engineered/rated to pull equal or higher weights than 3/4 or 1 ton trucks from just 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension will work just fine beyond your payload sticker.

a 1,400 lb bed camper is a lot though.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion he's full of $#!+. I occasionally pulled some farm implements and skid steers which were CONSIDERABLY over rated tow/hitch weight rating with no issues. I took my time when I pulling for safety. Keep in mind these half ton trucks are engineered/rated to pull equal or higher weights than 3/4 or 1 ton trucks from just 10-15 years ago.
I pulled a skid steer and a little excavator too,( which was a little hairy, but i was only going local), but that's pulling something, not the same as something in the bed of the truck pushing straight down on the air bags...I believe the OP said he would be putting a camper ONTO the bed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You know this for a fact?

There's more than one HD owners that have reported getting an overload warning indicator on their trucks. A Cummins owner reported his exhaust brake would not function with the indicator lit.

1631934893245.png
1631934922915.png

beachdogs

Reaction score
I pulled a skid steer and a little excavator too,( which was a little hairy, but i was only going local), but that's pulling something, not the same as something in the bed of the truck pushing straight down on the air bags...I believe the OP said he would be putting a camper ONTO the bed.
yes. all the weight in the bed with a pop-up type truck camper. his main point was that everything would be fine until one bad bump and all the bed weight would come crashing down on the air bags. It might be fine......or it might not and then you're totally and completely screwed.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Can you please clarify...are you wanting to put this entire camper IN the bed of the truck, pulling it PLUS the extra weight, or ?? As others have mentioned there ARE limits of the system and its designed to protect itself if possible. That being said keep in mind almost all commercial trucks that weigh up to 80,000#'s + loaded utilize air suspensions. I still think it's most likely hooey.....

beachdogs

Reaction score
Can you please clarify...are you wanting to put this entire camper IN the bed of the truck, pulling it PLUS the extra weight, or ?? As others have mentioned there ARE limits of the system and its designed to protect itself if possible. That being said keep in mind almost all commercial trucks that weigh up to 80,000#'s + loaded utilize air suspensions. I still think it's most likely hooey.....
just the in-bed pop-up camper, no towing. something like this:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
just the in-bed pop-up camper, no towing. something like this:
Ok, I think of this as a slide-in camper (pop-up top or otherwise) Those type technically are not approved for 1/2 ton trucks at all but are regularly utilized anyway. There's a possibility the protection system would be triggered by this. If Air Lift makes helper springs that will fit with the factory air suspension that might not be a bad idea ONLY when the camper is on the truck to "carry" most of the additional weight.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OP, it sounds like you should really be looking at a 2500 for the same reason AMS Guru mention. Sure you can get away with it on the 1500, but why run the chance of putting others and yourself in danger if something happens on the highway?

beachdogs

Reaction score
Ok, I think of this as a slide-in camper (pop-up top or otherwise) Those type technically are not approved for 1/2 ton trucks at all but are regularly utilized anyway. There's a possibility the protection system would be triggered by this. If Air Lift makes helper springs that will fit with the factory air suspension that might not be a bad idea ONLY when the camper is on the truck to "carry" most of the additional weight.
well the truck in the marketing materials for that particular model is actually a Ram 1500. the only concern the dealer really had was blowing out the air bags on a bad bump or something, most likely far from home. he wasn't really concerned under normal conditions. his only point was don't go with air suspension.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as AMS guru said...you mislabeled what you want to do as a "pop up"...a Pop up is something you tow behind...a "Slide-in" is what you want to do...BIG difference.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well the truck in the marketing materials for that particular model is actually a Ram 1500. the only concern the dealer really had was blowing out the air bags on a bad bump or something, most likely far from home. he wasn't really concerned under normal conditions. his only point was don't go with air suspension.
A Tradesman or Big Horn / Lonestar can likely handle it. Which one was pictured in the brochure? The extra 500-1000 lb of options in a Limited is your issue.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I think a 2500 is the answer for OP. 1400lbs is a lot, especially for a Limited. Wasn't there a 2500 owner who popped airbags while overloaded?

Rick J

Reaction score

For what it's worth, this is from the 1500 Owners Manual:

Protection Strategy
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle
will disable load leveling as required (suspension overloaded,
battery charge low, etc.). Load leveling will automatically
resume as soon as system operation requirements are
met. See your authorized dealer if system does not resume.
NOTE:
If towing with air suspension refer to “Trailer Towing” in
“Starting And Operating” for further information.

I'm not sure what "disable load leveling" means. Does it just stop filling the airbags, do the deflate, etc ??????

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is from the 1500 Owners Manual:

Protection Strategy
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle
will disable load leveling as required (suspension overloaded,
battery charge low, etc.). Load leveling will automatically
resume as soon as system operation requirements are
met. See your authorized dealer if system does not resume.
NOTE:
If towing with air suspension refer to “Trailer Towing” in
“Starting And Operating” for further information.

I'm not sure what "disable load leveling" means. Does it just stop filling the airbags, do the deflate, etc ??????

Disable load leveling just means it doesn’t inflate anymore, it doesn’t deflate.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

My Limited is rated at 1400lbs payload. How do they know your payload rating? I agree its right at the limit but no way I see you bursting an airbag from a jolt being right at or even over the load rating.

Users who are viewing this thread