5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension - Air “purge” noise

ProKubinator

Reaction score
So after thinking the dealer fixed it (they replaced the compressor), I took matters into my own hands. The noise came back and it was making the noise every time I drove the truck. I got the needed tablet / adapter for Alfa OBD and began to monitor the pressures in the system (something the mechanic at the dealer should have been able to do). What I found was that as the truck sat, all the airbags on all 4 corners of the truck held 100% pressure, but the tank was loosing pressure. When I would hear the "purge noise" would be the compressor cycling to try to re-pressurize the tank (using ambient air pulled in from behind the taillight) to make up for the loss. I took off the passenger rear wheel / wheel well liner to investigate where a leak could be. I found a decent leak on both of the recharge ports using soap and water. I was able to give them both another 1/4" turn using a 15MM 6 point deep socket (dont use a 12 point, will round it off). The leak was then gone. Next time I drove the truck I heard the compressor cycle a few times to recharge the tank (I expected this), and the noise has not came back again in the last 2 weeks.

Next steps for me is I want to replace that whole valve block and re-charge the system with nitrogen before winter hits. I have seen its not hard to do with a vacuum pump and tank of nitrogen.

On some of the 4th gen trucks the bags leaking is an issue, but I think this recharge port could be the bigger issue on the 5th gens. Some Facebook pages I am on had members that had this same issue I have

Photos attached below of the lead and what you can see in Alfa OBD of compressor cycling to build pressure (shutting off once it hits a certain temperature)

Good thing I bought the extended warranty and the truck "wasn't throwing any codes" and this was "normal". Basic diagnostic work could have figured this out quickly

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 151

Samson75

Reaction score
So after thinking the dealer fixed it (they replaced the compressor), I took matters into my own hands. The noise came back and it was making the noise every time I drove the truck. I got the needed tablet / adapter for Alfa OBD and began to monitor the pressures in the system (something the mechanic at the dealer should have been able to do). What I found was that as the truck sat, all the airbags on all 4 corners of the truck held 100% pressure, but the tank was loosing pressure. When I would hear the "purge noise" would be the compressor cycling to try to re-pressurize the tank (using ambient air pulled in from behind the taillight) to make up for the loss. I took off the passenger rear wheel / wheel well liner to investigate where a leak could be. I found a decent leak on both of the recharge ports using soap and water. I was able to give them both another 1/4" turn using a 15MM 6 point deep socket (dont use a 12 point, will round it off). The leak was then gone. Next time I drove the truck I heard the compressor cycle a few times to recharge the tank (I expected this), and the noise has not came back again in the last 2 weeks.

Next steps for me is I want to replace that whole valve block and re-charge the system with nitrogen before winter hits. I have seen its not hard to do with a vacuum pump and tank of nitrogen.

On some of the 4th gen trucks the bags leaking is an issue, but I think this recharge port could be the bigger issue on the 5th gens. Some Facebook pages I am on had members that had this same issue I have

Photos attached below of the lead and what you can see in Alfa OBD of compressor cycling to build pressure (shutting off once it hits a certain temperature)

Good thing I bought the extended warranty and the truck "wasn't throwing any codes" and this was "normal". Basic diagnostic work could have figured this out quickly

So… update pls!! Is it fixed? After power calling my dealership couple times a week for the last three months they have ordered a new block and compressor and when it comes in they’re going to try to replace them but I’d love to know if your solution worked in the end of it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProKubinator

Reaction score
So… update pls!! Is it fixed? After power calling my dealership couple times a week for the last three months they have ordered a new block and compressor and when it comes in they’re going to try to replace them but I’d love to know if your solution worked in the end of it all?

I have not gotten it refilled with nitrogen yet since its summer, but I have not heard the purge noise anymore and all seems good. I did not put a new block on it, still running the old one I tightened up, but I more than likely will put a new one on when I recharge it

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I believe that the term "closed system" means exactly that. The compressor may have been cycling to try and recharge lost pressure in the bags, or elsewhere, but it should not, could not, will not pull in ambient air in order to recharge/refill the system. The system has to be filled with a recharge supply of an inert gas to prevent condensation.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I believe that the term "closed system" means exactly that. The compressor may have been cycling to try and recharge lost pressure in the bags, or elsewhere, but it should not, could not, will not pull in ambient air in order to recharge/refill the system. The system has to be filled with a recharge supply of an inert gas to prevent condensation.
yes, correct. I plan on doing that before winter

fact mechanic

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited 1500 with air suspension.

I don’t know if it’s always done it and I just didn’t notice but over the last few weeks I notice a purge/blow off noise from seemingly the air system. The sound is similar to a regular air compressor once it reaches its set pressure. Nothing notable about when it occurs and it’s not always consistent. No lights and nothing else “abnormal” otherwise.

Anything thoughts if I should be concerned or check anything? First truck with air suspension.

If helpful...In Wisconsin, temps have been getting colder. I’ve had the truck since new in Sept 2019 now with 53k miles.
Same thing. 2019 Limited with a 4” lift.

Could it be a line between valves that’s only charged at certain times and has a leak? Not a blow off valve, but a return line or something that’s only under pressure at certain times and we’re hearing the leak from that line when it’s pressurized? No idea, just throwing that out there.

Samson75

Reaction score
Same thing. 2019 Limited with a 4” lift.

Could it be a line between valves that’s only charged at certain times and has a leak? Not a blow off valve, but a return line or something that’s only under pressure at certain times and we’re hearing the leak from that line when it’s pressurized? No idea, just throwing that out there.

I think ProKubinator as a theory that sounds closest. I understand the concept of closed system, however there does seem to be some validity in the idea that outside air would be used to pressurize a diaphragm or some kind of back pressure valve… If it purged sealed nitrogen three or four times a day like my system is I’d be riding on the ground by now so there has to be some kind of outside air required for the function of this system… It would be amazing if someone could find the actual order of operation/functionality of the system online and explained better what’s happening during normal operation, LOL. Anyway, my parts are supposed to arrive from the dealership this week and hopefully I have them all installed soon. I’ll let you all know how it goes! Wish me luck! LMAO

A10

Reaction score
Is it all the time?
Yes, even during a 6 minute drive it might “blow off” a few times. Yesterday, the truck was in entry/exit position, compressor was going and going (not sure why). When I finally drove off and wanted to put it into aero position it gave me a warning that the system needed to cool down first. Drove on entry/exit for a couple miles, boy was that a bumpy ride! It finally got to aero position and then another “blow off”. This is pretty annoying.

dreinert

Reaction score
I took mine in, it had gotten to the point where the loud purge turned into the compressor running longer 3-5min

They diagnosed it to the joint between the tank and manifold was leaking. I didn’t see any parts and it was replaced under FCA extended warranty.

Time will tell if the loud purge noise goes away.

Samson75

Reaction score
They replaced the assembly but not the tanks.
Exactly the same ! It runs twice every morning … maybe more ?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited 1500 with air suspension.

I don’t know if it’s always done it and I just didn’t notice but over the last few weeks I notice a purge/blow off noise from seemingly the air system. The sound is similar to a regular air compressor once it reaches its set pressure. Nothing notable about when it occurs and it’s not always consistent. No lights and nothing else “abnormal” otherwise.

Anything thoughts if I should be concerned or check anything? First truck with air suspension.

If helpful...In Wisconsin, temps have been getting colder. I’ve had the truck since new in Sept 2019 now with 53k miles.
when my 2014 that has the same system minust some minor changes,.. started doing this,. this in when i started to have problem with my suspension and i still do.

to fix this they change the compressor, and this had fix the problem until next winter , then they change it again ,.. 4 times until it was out of warranty and then said well its not warranty anymore,..

so clearly the problem was not the compressor, the problem made the compressor go bad, but it kept coming back...

really hope yours will be fix with only 1 compressor but the problem is somewere else and cause the compressor to go bad ,. and to have condensation in the valve block and makes it hard to operate proprelly,.

but i must add i live were winter gets cold, maybe that makes it worst

my new 2022 wont have the air suspension

Last edited:

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

makes sens, everytime my dealer changed the 4 or 5 compressor total,. each time there was condesation in the valve block, a few time i had fault in the computer for the valve block not operating proprelly, they said the condensation froze the valve...

so by chaging the compressor assembly it didnt fix the problem,.. because probably a leak somwere , but they never found it just like your dealer

George Bednar

Reaction score
My truck sometimes makes a noise when I turn it off, and I don’t have air suspension
My previous Ram 2019 Limited did the purge twice once. I was pulling my 28' Zinger TT and had the bed loaded with firewood and camping supplies for a long week end. I assumed I over loaded the truck since it didn't purge until I was backing in to the bumpy campsite of the campground. I immediately traded for a 2020 2500 Laramie as I was scared to be overloaded and cause an accident. Since then, we purchased a permanent site with a fifth wheel camper and no longer needed the 2500. Call it luck, but I broke even (on paper) when I traded it.

Samson75

Reaction score
If it’s the sound that I’m thinking of, it is perfectly normal. The truck is constantly re-leveling itself according to the sensors, even when parked and “off”. Also, it’s a sealed nitrogen system, so you’d start getting errors if the truck was actually releasing nitrogen instead of moving it between the shocks and the N2 tank.

Nope, truck doesn’t move a millimeter! Just runs 90sec. Then pssssssst!!!! Load AF ! Every morning!!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine did it again yesterday. No clue what it is

A4Owner

Reaction score
Man if it turns out that those little quarter turn screws coming out the compressor housing are all that fails periodically, and that all that's required to fix them is a slight turn, then I considered these a/s systems fixed indeed. That's too easy. There's videos of guys dropping $4,000 to fix these on YouTube...I will admit...a/s is dam cool...but cold weather reliability has always held me back...

Domt1775

Reaction score
Anyone find a fix for this? My 21 limited started doing this this winter but doesn’t throw any codes

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Man if it turns out that those little quarter turn screws coming out the compressor housing are all that fails periodically, and that all that's required to fix them is a slight turn, then I considered these a/s systems fixed indeed. That's too easy. There's videos of guys dropping $4,000 to fix these on YouTube...I will admit...a/s is dam cool...but cold weather reliability has always held me back...
My truck doesn’t have a compressor

Users who are viewing this thread