5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension - Air “purge” noise

dreinert

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited 1500 with air suspension.

I don’t know if it’s always done it and I just didn’t notice but over the last few weeks I notice a purge/blow off noise from seemingly the air system. The sound is similar to a regular air compressor once it reaches its set pressure. Nothing notable about when it occurs and it’s not always consistent. No lights and nothing else “abnormal” otherwise.

Anything thoughts if I should be concerned or check anything? First truck with air suspension.

If helpful...In Wisconsin, temps have been getting colder. I’ve had the truck since new in Sept 2019 now with 53k miles.

clazer

Reaction score

I don’t know if it’s always done it and I just didn’t notice but over the last few weeks I notice a purge/blow off noise from seemingly the air system. The sound is similar to a regular air compressor once it reaches its set pressure. Nothing notable about when it occurs and it’s not always consistent. No lights and nothing else “abnormal” otherwise.

Anything thoughts if I should be concerned or check anything? First truck with air suspension.

If helpful...In Wisconsin, temps have been getting colder. I’ve had the truck since new in Sept 2019 now with 53k miles.
If it’s the sound that I’m thinking of, it is perfectly normal. The truck is constantly re-leveling itself according to the sensors, even when parked and “off”. Also, it’s a sealed nitrogen system, so you’d start getting errors if the truck was actually releasing nitrogen instead of moving it between the shocks and the N2 tank.

chriscwe

Reaction score

Mines doing the same thing. There is nothing normal about this. To have a pressure valve blowing every few minutes is, 1 loud and 2 not something that the system should be hitting. My dealer replaced one of the pumps as it was running all the time. That seemed to help, but FCA (Ram) has been working with the techs at the dealer near me for 3+ appointments and loss of the vehicle for weeks.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mines doing the same thing. There is nothing normal about this. To have a pressure valve blowing every few minutes is, 1 loud and 2 not something that the system should be hitting. My dealer replaced one of the pumps as it was running all the time. That seemed to help, but FCA (Ram) has been working with the techs at the dealer near me for 3+ appointments and loss of the vehicle for weeks.
Have that happen twice now in the past year. First time was last summer, hot afternoon on the driveway with my RTT loaded on the truck, over pressure relief valve vented for app. 3 seconds! Was thinking to myself that that was unusual. After that, was fine till my last tire rotation about a month ago.
Had the rear on jack stands with tire jack mode enabled, lifted the left front corner with a floor jack letting the suspension droop. Pump started running trying to level the suspension, kept on pumping till the pressure relief vented, went ahead and pulled the compressor relay to stop that thing from running. Other that that, it has been OK.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Hmmmm…. It’s funny how my 2019 did this all the time and it used to scare the crap out of me and now my 2022 haven’t done it once, not a peep.

I wonder what they did different…. ?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have that happen twice now in the past year. First time was last summer, hot afternoon on the driveway with my RTT loaded on the truck, over pressure relief valve vented for app. 3 seconds! Was thinking to myself that that was unusual. After that, was fine till my last tire rotation about a month ago.
Had the rear on jack stands with tire jack mode enabled, lifted the left front corner with a floor jack letting the suspension droop. Pump started running trying to level the suspension, kept on pumping till the pressure relief vented, went ahead and pulled the compressor relay to stop that thing from running. Other that that, it has been OK.
I don't think there are any PRV's in a closed system. Otherwise it wouldn't be a "closed" system.

Blue2019ram

Reaction score
Mines doing the same thing. There is nothing normal about this. To have a pressure valve blowing every few minutes is, 1 loud and 2 not something that the system should be hitting. My dealer replaced one of the pumps as it was running all the time. That seemed to help, but FCA (Ram) has been working with the techs at the dealer near me for 3+ appointments and loss of the vehicle for weeks
Did you ever get a repair option for this? I have a 2019 Ram doing the same thing. Small compressor noise until an air purge. Happens once a week on average.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Same issue. Dealer replaced the compressor which has a built in control module. Seemed to fix it for awhile and now I have the same issue. Compressor gets "stuck" on, then pressure relief sound. If I hear it stuck on and manually adjust up or down one setting, it adjusts fine and then stops running before the relief sound. Almost like a sensor or something is getting "confused". Very frustrating

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a weird situation that I fortunately haven't experienced yet. I'm trying to think of what would cause a release valve to go off in a closed system, and all I come up with is that maybe it was over pressurized from the factory when they charged the system.

Something to keep track of as these trucks age, for sure.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue. Dealer replaced the compressor which has a built in control module. Seemed to fix it for awhile and now I have the same issue. Compressor gets "stuck" on, then pressure relief sound. If I hear it stuck on and manually adjust up or down one setting, it adjusts fine and then stops running before the relief sound. Almost like a sensor or something is getting "confused". Very frustrating
Maybe check your sensor links at all 4 corners?

I had the suspension freeze up once after driving thru a pretty bad sleet/freezing rain storm to go skiing followed by temps going down to the teens when I came back to the parking lot. I started up the truck and got a "Air Suspension Disabled" warning. Felt like a gut-punch and I went out to check on what I thought was a calamity... I then noticed that everything was encased in ice, front and rear. Nothing seemed to be sagging or anything so I put it in gear and started drive away. Less than a minute later the warning had cleared because all the ice had cracked and fallen away.

I only mention this because it seems plausible that a bad signal from an air suspension sensor link could cause it to over pressure like as you mention. Might be something you can see visually, and speed up things to have it addressed.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 21 did something similar last night. I was backing into the garage and my air suspension popped off like an air brake being set.

Thought it may have been the Amazon truck at the end of the driveway, but after I got parked I decided to adjust the suspension to see. Going up from aero to normal, it popped off again. Normal to OR1 it didn't. OR1 to aero it didn't. And aero to normal back to aero no more pop off sounds.

Very odd, and hopefully not an indication of future issues.

Samson75

Reaction score
So I’m not alone . My truck has started doing this as well. dealer grabs it , does nothing but put it I the code reader and return the truck . Anyone here have a small level or any other notable suspension mods ? I’d love to try to narrow it down since the dealer is not really interested in solving the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
It's not the truck, that's just the sound Mopar makes responding to all the complaints about this.

Samson75

Reaction score
It's not the truck, that's just the sound Mopar makes responding to all the complaints about this.

Yup! I just got the dreaded “it’s normal “WTF? I honestly can’t believe that after driving it for two years and suddenly this ****ty sound begins happening and they’ve got the balls to tell me that it’s normal…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online