5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Lift 1000HD Install

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to update this thread with accurate info. I called Airlift and asked about the need to pre air the bags before you add a load. They said that is not correct. I was told that the bags need to be kept with about 5psi in them to maintain shape. Before loading, they suggested that a measurement from the center of the rear wheel lip to the ground be taken, add your load, then add air to get you back to the original ride height.

It was also suggested that if the amount of squat might be known, that adding in "some" air, before loading, will decrease the amount of air needed after loading the truck. It is not true that you NEED to air up before loading and CAN'T add air after the load is in the truck.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score

Another I came across. Seems they use a sleeve in the kit to help protect the bag. They have the standard and another that is 2" longer for lift springs

Last edited:

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to update this thread with accurate info. I called Airlift and asked about the need to pre air the bags before you add a load. They said that is not correct. I was told that the bags need to be kept with about 5psi in them to maintain shape. Before loading, they suggested that a measurement from the center of the rear wheel lip to the ground be taken, add your load, then add air to get you back to the original ride height.

It was also suggested that if the amount of squat might be known, that adding in "some" air, before loading, will decrease the amount of air needed after loading the truck. It is not true that you NEED to air up before loading and CAN'T add air after the load is in the truck.
Good to know. Thanks!

So, these are back on my list of maybes.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thank you! I’ve always been worried about adding air after I load it up

Phantom_h60

Reaction score
I just received my 1000HD's today. Hopefully I will have time to install them on Monday. Camper season is almost here, and the truck REALLY needs the boost.

41magmag41

Reaction score
I'm so thankful for this line on the forum as I've been contemplating the 1000Ds but couldn't find any ram owners that installed them. Back on my wish list and thank to you guys posting about them.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
I always aired up after hooking up the travel trailer. Tired the air before method and could tell a noticeable difference in how it rode. I would run around 40-45 psi in the bags, 70ish in the rear tires and 60-65 in the fronts. Never had any issues.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have just the normal 1000s because my trailer doesn't weigh much. Love em. Got the automatic compressor with the manual switch. Works great.

Phantom_h60

Reaction score
I installed the 1000HD's today. Piece of cake. I used 2 floor jacks with 2 jack stands for safety. Never brought the tires off the ground. Didn't take off the wheel well liners or the springs. Folded up the bags , slid them in and routed the air lines. I'm not sure if I want a compressor or where I want the air lines so I hid them behind the hitch. Really easy to get to. Will test tomorrow, horrible weather today. *No, not my cars, Im at work. 20220418_142623.jpg 20220418_151346.jpg 20220418_150611.jpg 20220418_163734.jpg

Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the 100HD's today. Piece of cake. I used 2 floor jacks with 2 jack stands for safety. Never brought the tires off the ground. Didn't take off the wheel well liners or the springs. Folded up the bags , slid them in and routed the air lines. I'm not sure if I want a compressor or where I want the air lines so I hid them behind the hitch. Really easy to get to. View attachment 126812 View attachment 126813 View attachment 126814 View attachment 126815
I like the hidden schrader valves. I have the LoadController II from Airlift for a compressor. It has the 5psi solenoid that keeps the bags filled to 5psi at all times. Momentary rocker switch turns the compressor on and you hold until the gauge shows what you want. Then a pressure release push button to lower it. Works really well and I got it used from Amazon Warehouse for cheap.

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
I have had zero issues with my air lift 1000 since install. I have used them quite often. I pump them up to 35psi when towing my larger camper and 25psi when hauling my utility trailer. when not towing, I put them to 5 psi.

PepperellFF

Reaction score
I asked my dealership for recommendations for air shocks to level the ride when towing my TT, I was told that this would affect the suspension warranty. Does this sound legit?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked my dealership for recommendations for air shocks to level the ride when towing my TT, I was told that this would affect the suspension warranty. Does this sound legit?
Air shocks would affect the warranty if you replace the OEM shock absorbers, but adding Airbags to the coil springs would not affect the shocks.
I had Airlift bags for 9 years in my 2011 Ram and for 2 years in my 2020 Rebel, no issues, I don’t understand how it could affect suspension warranty, the coils and shock absorbers don’t have to work as hard once the airbags are installed. Sounds like he is full of it!

Last edited:

bombaman

Reaction score
If you have any suspension issues just remove the airbags before dropping it off. As long as you havent overloaded the axle there shouldnt be anything.

Damion

Reaction score
I just had to replace both of my 1000HD bags, one had a small tear and the other the bottom was torn severely . I believe the one with the torn bottom was caused by towing a camper without air in the system ( bag with small tear ). Airlift replaced them and good to go now!

I put my fill valve under the passenger seat and use a small 12v programmable compressor to fill the bags. Set the PSI I want, hit start and it'll shut off automatically

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had to replace both of my 1000HD bags, one had a small tear and the other the bottom was torn severely . I believe the one with the torn bottom was caused by towing a camper without air in the system ( bag with small tear ). Airlift replaced them and good to go now!

I put my fill valve under the passenger seat and use a small 12v programmable compressor to fill the bags. Set the PSI I want, hit start and it'll shut off automatically
How old were they?

Users who are viewing this thread