5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Lift 1000HD Install

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I just got these in - took about 2 hrs. If you do this right you shouldn't need to remove the coil spings.

I jacked up the truck from the axle pumpkin as high as it would go. I jammed 2x 6 ton jack stands just where the frame starts to loop over the wheels. I took of the rear tires and then let the jack down a bit to unbolt the shocks. I did not need to unbolt the brake lines from the body. The only thing I might suggest is unbolting the the sway bar mounts from the frame. The axle went down enough but I had to sit on the rotor to get the springs out. One shortcut would be to flatten the air bags and push them between the coils instead of removing the springs. Another thing to point out - if you have the plastic inner fenders you will need to remove those to see what you are doing. The top spring mount only goes in one way, but mark the spring regardless. The bags were easy to drop in, but it took me a bit to get the spring top mount back aligned. Once the bags were in and the springs back in I jacked er up and watched the bags seat - they needed a little help getting past the doughnut spacer on top as one of the air line clips hung up for a second. I reinstalled everything - shocks, and fender well liners. I ran the airlines up and over everything in the back to the license plate flat area. Drilled 5/16 holes on each side of the plate and mounted the Schrader valves. I pumped to 20 PSI initially. Seems pretty stiff. Will know more once I get our trailer hooked up. I give these an A for install - pretty easy. We'll see how they do with the trailer.

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
Wow...you did all this to put in the Airlift 1000HD’s? I didn’t remove anything on my stock Rebel. I just jacked up the truck as high as I could from under the hitch, folded the airbags like instructions said, zip tied them, and slide them in the coils springs. I inserted the cap, and air lines and connected before I cut the zip ties and ran the connection to the back by the plate. I didn’t even remove the inner fender liners. The whole thing took me 20 minutes to install. They have worked great, and have held all the air I put in perfectly for a year now. Made a big difference when towing my 30ft camper.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I
Wow...you did all this to put in the Airlift 1000HD’s? I didn’t remove anything on my stock Rebel. I just jacked up the truck as high as I could from under the hitch, folded the airbags like instructions said, zip tied them, and slide them in the coils springs. I inserted the cap, and air lines and connected before I cut the zip ties and ran the connection to the back by the plate. I didn’t even remove the inner fender liners. The whole thing took me 20 minutes to install. They have worked great, and have held all the air I put in perfectly for a year now. Made a big difference when towing my 30ft camper.
I'm looking at getting these for my stock 2021 Rebel. I keep seeing mixed comments on whether or not these actually make a difference on the Rebel, but you've seen a nice improvement? How the holding up for you to this day?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I

I'm looking at getting these for my stock 2021 Rebel. I keep seeing mixed comments on whether or not these actually make a difference on the Rebel, but you've seen a nice improvement? How the holding up for you to this day?
Not a rebel owner but I’ve had the HD’s for about 6 months now no problems or issues and greatly improved squat when loaded up heavy!

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I need to order these or the Firstone kit soon and get them in before summer fully sets in and it's humid/hot here. Anyone run either of these with a Carli Commuter kit?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide if I want these or Timber Grove. I read somewhere that these have to be aired up before you load the truck down. That doesn't make sense. Hopefully not the case.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Yeah I read that too, but I had the other Air Lift 5000s on my 2014 2500 Ram and did the same thing. It didn't bother me too much. It just made it easier for me.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide if I want these or Timber Grove. I read somewhere that these have to be aired up before you load the truck down. That doesn't make sense. Hopefully not the case.
I got the Timber Groves because I wanted to be able to air up over 50 psi. If you're not careful and you push them to 30-40 you can jump to 70+ with bumps/how the truck's loaded.

The Timber Groves, while being much more expensive, are awesome and I highly recommend. I typically air mine up 10-20 psi depending on the load, then after it's loaded I'll adjust the psi to level the truck.

Last edited:

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I never heard about the Timber Groves. Just looked them up. I'd rather go with that style air bag especially if there's not cutting involved like there is with the Air Lift 5000 bags. Definitely a lot more expensive though.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Good point on the adjusting air when loaded, the ones that insert into the springs I did read that you cant do that.. that would be a pain. My 3/4 and 1 ton were the regular style and I always aired them after loaded to set everything right when they were needed.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, really leaning towards Timber Groves. I'm not cutting my bumps stops off for bags. My other concern with in spring bags is the wear from the springs. It was the simple install and price that got me interested.

I had Firestone bags in my previous Nissan and really liked the setup. I was planning to add a compressor, but never got around to it.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point on the adjusting air when loaded, the ones that insert into the springs I did read that you cant do that.. that would be a pain. My 3/4 and 1 ton were the regular style and I always aired them after loaded to set everything right when they were needed.
If that truly is the case, then I'm out. If I were only loading the same load or towing the same trailer, maybe...

With my last truck I knew what pressure I needed unloaded when towing the camper and would air up first. For anything else it was always after.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at the Air Lifts, but then I saw the Timber Groves, and now I'm torn. The TG's go in like the truck was designed for them. And they have a compressor kit that goes in one of the floor storage bins. Yeah, cost more of course...

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Timber Groves look nice.. I would have to powder the hardware black though.. I know it's stainless. But being black would look better. I my have to buy some extra line and valves, I would prefer the bags to be on separate lines rather than a "T" for both on the same line. After looking into the Timber Groves... I'm much considering those. Just have to adjust my budget a little for them.. but I would prefer this style over the ones inserted into the coil. (no experience with them). Just want to do the job once.. Would like to lift the Laramie a little, just so low from the factory...but same time I hate to kill the towability she's got... I do have the 3.92s do that helps. But i need to see if i lift it as i dont care to redo it to change the bags to the longer ones they offer

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Airlift 1000 in my 2011 Ram Outdoorsman for 9 years with no issues, the maximum pressure was 35 psi
I bought my 2020 Rebel and installed the Airlift 1000HD maximum pressure is 50 psi, not long after installing them I added air without paying attention air heard a pop, busted one bag, I sent a picture to Airlift, they sent me a new bag under warranty, I simply said it looks like it came appart at the seem, I left out that I over inflated them!
The instructions says to add air before loading but I did not find any difference by adding air when loaded, the truck goes up either way when adding air.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume putting air in before loading would prevent the bag being pinched if you compress the spring too much. I've never put bags inside the coil, so I'm not sure of the clearance. But pinching the bag then trying to inflate it would lead to tearing the bag.

@Talon4U2NV you can't even see the hardware of the bags unless you're crawling under the truck to look at them. I know it's a "I know it's there" kinda thing, but no one else will even notice you have bags since they're behind the spring.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer the bags to be separate as well. Tied together can cause some odd things to happen when offroad. I would suggest though tie them together with a ball valve in between if you're not using on board air. Then you can fill them both to the same pressure before closing them off from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread