5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Dam Actuator

JMed

Reaction score
Driving at 45 mph and struck a Bobcat. Broke the drivers side bottom air dam mounting bracket. Would anyone know the part number or if I have to replace the entire air dam actuator.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only listings I could find over the last half hour are for the entire active air dam assembly. Prices anywhere from just under 300 to over 400 bucks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just remove it. I've removed them from 3 different 5th gens with no issues. Any slight loss in fuel economy hasn't been noticed. And would take a long time to make up the cost of a new active air dam at $300-$400. Or you could always contact one of the many members here who have removed them to see if they're interested in selling theirs. I'd sell one of mine but I want to reinstall it if/when I trade one of my current trucks in.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Driving at 45 mph and struck a Bobcat. Broke the drivers side bottom air dam mounting bracket. Would anyone know the part number or if I have to replace the entire air dam actuator.
Hitting an animal should be covered by collateral and not affect insurance rates no? At least it is where I am.

JMed

Reaction score
Hitting an animal should be covered by collateral and not affect insurance rates no? At least it is where I am.
Thank you. It's not so much the money but I only need the drivers side mounting bracket.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Thank you. It's not so much the money but I only need the drivers side mounting bracket.
Ahh gotcha. I had a deer kick my headlight last year and shatter it so I didn't feel like shelling out a grand out of pocket for a new one haha.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha. I had a deer kick my headlight last year and shatter it so I didn't feel like shelling out a grand out of pocket for a new one haha.

Yep it's good to have comprehensive coverage for that, from my time working in insurance 10 years ago I remember it specifically covering "any act of nature" amongst other things.

When I used to take my old car on/off the road each year for winter (before getting classic car specific insurance) and turned in my plates, I would leave comprehensive coverage on the car as it would cover in the event of a tree falling on the garage and damaging the car or if someone broke in and stole it etc. Worked for back then but I'm very glad to just have the classic car insurance on it now.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Yep it's good to have comprehensive coverage for that, from my time working in insurance 10 years ago I remember it specifically covering "any act of nature" amongst other things.

When I used to take my old car on/off the road each year for winter (before getting classic car specific insurance) and turned in my plates, I would leave comprehensive coverage on the car as it would cover in the event of a tree falling on the garage and damaging the car or if someone broke in and stole it etc. Worked for back then but I'm very glad to just have the classic car insurance on it now.
Nice! I thought about doing that with my one car that I don't use in the winter (it's my daily during the summer) but seems like a hassle to have to turn the plates in every winter. Also the insurance is dirt cheap on the car.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
comp coverage does cover " animal contact" as we say in the industry, but don't forget, you still have the deductible to contend with. Some are $300, but most are $500. Not worth putting in a claim if you need a $400 part.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
comp coverage does cover " animal contact" as we say in the industry, but don't forget, you still have the deductible to contend with. Some are $300, but most are $500. Not worth putting in a claim if you need a $400 part.
True. Last time with that deer for me it was definitely worth it. He not only shattered my light but dented the fender and cracked the bumper fascia. it was like 4 or 5k I can't remember how much. All with his one hind hoof lol.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Off topic a bit but any idea at what speed or is there a way to see if the darn thing even works. My last limited didn’t have it as it had ‘aero’ mode in the suspension so I was surprised to see it under my new limited…. I guess now I have ‘aero’ and the air dam ? Kinda weird.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off topic a bit but any idea at what speed or is there a way to see if the darn thing even works. My last limited didn’t have it as it had ‘aero’ mode in the suspension so I was surprised to see it under my new limited…. I guess now I have ‘aero’ and the air dam ? Kinda weird.
I believe it comes down over 35, then back up when the truck goes into Aero (cause it would be too close to the ground at that point).

leonandlisa

Reaction score
So I hit a piece of tire tread and ripped mine off, it took the air dam and the motor actuator. All that was left was the plastic pieces under the mounting nuts. The wires broke off but long enough to connect back to, I drove it for over a year without issue, then I got a check engine light and it was from the active air dam, per my service advisor the truck is always running self diagnostics and if multiple items are out of the range it will trigger an event, he said that it must have been the right temperature, right speed and all for it to trigger check engine light. Since we need smog tests I ended up replacing everything to get the code to go away. Now I just removed the thick rubber dam so if I should hit something again it doesn’t break it off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread