5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance TRX VS Ram 1500 ‘ TRX Owners’

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Hello everyon,

I’m still waiting for my TRX to arrive as a replacement for my 19 Rebel, I loved everything about my Rebel fine truck i took it everywhere & done everything with it my only downside was the AC performance i had to do the AC hack and only then it became acceptable, I live in a hot country and the AC is a dealbreaker, Appreciate all your input thanks.
Tell me about it. I think its the refrigerant used and the compressor.

kliffy77

Reaction score
My 2020 Big Horn is plenty cold. 98 degrees here in Minnesota! I think people just like to complain on here. People complain about squeaks & rattles, this & that. How about being grateful u have a car & don't have to walk 10 miles every morning for fresh water ?!

I live in Kuwait the hottest country on earth today was 124F almost 52C without a proper & well functioning AC I can’t even drive a car so AC performance is the first thing i ask about when buying a new car, My 19 Ram Rebel had a real AC performance issue that Ram Officially addressed! The only one complaining here without reason is you!

Attachments

• 00E5DF12-73EB-422E-8262-95DD86DDB792.jpeg
    00E5DF12-73EB-422E-8262-95DD86DDB792.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2020 Big Horn is plenty cold. 98 degrees here in Minnesota! I think people just like to complain on here. People complain about squeaks & rattles, this & that. How about being grateful u have a car & don't have to walk 10 miles every morning for fresh water ?!
Well good for you for having a truck that blows cold and has no rattles.

You'd be singing a different tune if you'd spent tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that blows sorta-cold air and has rattles all over, instead of the "you should be grateful that you don't [fill in the blank] self-righteous crap.

Lit_AF

Reaction score
I live in Kuwait the hottest country on earth today was 124F almost 52C without a proper & well functioning AC I can’t even drive a car so AC performance is the first thing i ask about when buying a new car, My 19 Ram Rebel had a real AC performance issue that Ram Officially addressed! The only one complaining here without reason is you!
Well 52c in Kuwait sure feels like Arizona mid July, but man 40s here feels like a tropical area, which somewhat helps the A/C cool faster.
Parts are in back order from dealer, everyone complaining on how poor the A/C functions during summer.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Well 52c in Kuwait sure feels like Arizona mid July, but man 40s here feels like a tropical area, which somewhat helps the A/C cool faster.
Parts are in back order from dealer, everyone complaining on how poor the A/C functions during summer.

I understand how people keep complaining about AC in summer specially in our region thats not unusual, But my 19 Rebel had a real issue my 16 Rebel was so cool even in July so far same goes with my 21 TRX.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand how people keep complaining about AC in summer specially in our region thats not unusual, But my 19 Rebel had a real issue my 16 Rebel was so cool even in July so far same goes with my 21 TRX.
Traded in my '19 Longhorn and didn't bother to switch out the KCRay hack back to OEM, and I even told the dealership I traded it in to that it's now their problem to either go back to the crappy air, keep the hack or do the fix, lol. Just ordered a '22 TRX and I am confident my air will blow a lot cooler than the old truck. ;)

kliffy77

Reaction score
Traded in my '19 Longhorn and didn't bother to switch out the KCRay hack back to OEM, and I even told the dealership I traded it in to that it's now their problem to either go back to the crappy air, keep the hack or do the fix, lol. Just ordered a '22 TRX and I am confident my air will blow a lot cooler than the old truck. ;)
Jtr my Rebel was a fine reliable truck took it to the desert, mountain, beach and daily drove it to work my only issue was the AC and KCRay hack saved me during tough summer, Congratulations on your 22 TRX I’m sure you’ll be satisfied i love the AC on my TRX and thank god no issues so far.

Reactions: Jtr

Snekpete

Reaction score
I believe that the freon was changed from 134a in 2020 to 1234yf in 2021 which would require a complete AC redesign.

USA law requires elimination of R134a in new cars by 2021, Proposed rules will also affect Medium/Heavy Duty vehicles (includes Medium Duty trucks, 250-350or 2500-3500 pick-ups, and Heavy-Duty vans).

The automotive air-conditioning industry changeover to low global warming R-1234yf involves a lot more than new fittings and a more robust evaporator to prevent leakage of the mildly-flammable refrigerant.

An initial group of new A/C-related SAE standards was developed. link

Lit_AF

Reaction score
I believe that the freon was changed from 134a in 2020 to 1234yf in 2021 which would require a complete AC redesign.

USA law requires elimination of R134a in new cars by 2021, Proposed rules will also affect Medium/Heavy Duty vehicles (includes Medium Duty trucks, 250-350or 2500-3500 pick-ups, and Heavy-Duty vans).

The automotive air-conditioning industry changeover to low global warming R-1234yf involves a lot more than new fittings and a more robust evaporator to prevent leakage of the mildly-flammable refrigerant.

An initial group of new A/C-related SAE standards was developed. link
I just figured out that freon is a registered trademark and not the scientific name of the refrigerant.
This also changed recently with manufacturers of residential A/C units from R-22 to R410A which sucks, takes forever to cool a room. 🥵

Wpg_BigHorn

Reaction score
Hello everyon,

I’m still waiting for my TRX to arrive as a replacement for my 19 Rebel, I loved everything about my Rebel fine truck i took it everywhere & done everything with it my only downside was the AC performance i had to do the AC hack and only then it became acceptable, I live in a hot country and the AC is a dealbreaker, Appreciate all your input thanks.
What was the “AC hack”?

Reaction score
Traded in my '20 Laramie CC on my '21 TRX. Had it about 2 months and even my passengers notice a difference in the A/C temp. I've had several people comment on how much colder the A/C is in the "new" truck vs the "old" one.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Traded in my '20 Laramie CC on my '21 TRX. Had it about 2 months and even my passengers notice a difference in the A/C temp. I've had several people comment on how much colder the A/C is in the "new" truck vs the "old" one.

True! I got the same comments from passengers who ride with me.

Awood05

Reaction score
I’ll throw a wrench in this conversation. My wife took over the 21 Limited and I got a 21 TRX. We both agree, after two months of owning the TRX, that it’s AC seems to blow noticeably cooler than the Limited. I used to use AUTO in the Limited, but when I ran it identically in the TRX it would literally freeze me out. Not sure why, and don’t have any scientific data to back it up, just Seat-of-the-pants feel.

Users who are viewing this thread