5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Conditioning Fix

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bluetooth. Yesterday I connected to Android Auto but I can't remember if I got a call or not.
I do not use Android Auto...I am only plugged in to charge the phone. I'll test it again tomorrow but I would swear the fan does not slow down on a call. Text I give up with...Chevy was easier you just hit the accept button and the message read. I can't figure out what button or the correct phrase to use to have the messgaes read hands free....such a cumbersome system.

davel

Reaction score
With my heater core line shut off with the manual valve, I see @ 44F in 115F heat. If I open up the valve, I see 55-56F in 115F heat. Which temp would you prefer? I know what I do when it gets hot enough for AC......Phoenix heat tests the AC very well. I am not going to do the TSB as the guys that have done it aren't seeing 42-44F that I see. Plus, I don't trust a tech to do it right.
I live in Chandler and with the manual valve I could not get down to 44 in 115 temps. With out the valve I was at 55' I had the TSB done two months ago and they did a great job. Dash looks like it did when I dropped it off. All instruments work and no settings were lost. With the manual valve the dash vent temps were not even and now they are. The air works great now and would do it again.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I live in Chandler and with the manual valve I could not get down to 44 in 115 temps. With out the valve I was at 55' I had the TSB done two months ago and they did a great job. Dash looks like it did when I dropped it off. All instruments work and no settings were lost. With the manual valve the dash vent temps were not even and now they are. The air works great now and would do it again.
Do you know what they did to fix the issues?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to chance the fix...I am not handy enough to do a manual workaround...and I am not happy enough with the temps I am getting to leave it as is. If they screw it up I will keep going back and if it's that bad they can deal with it at lease end. This is after 40 minutes on a 77 degree day with full ceramic tint...the cab should be COLD.

Quoted for the picture you have of the thermometer.

There's a reason why all those car thermometers have a green band around 40-42 degrees: that's what temperature an air conditioner should be putting out of the vents. It can vary, but it should NOT be in the 50's. Sure, the manufacturers have charts, showing outside air vs. conditioned air temps. As others have shown, repeatedly, the evaporator is very capable of outputting the correct (42F) air: the airbox design allows too much heater core (210+ F) air to mix.

The other issue, large output temp differences between left and right sides, can only be resolved by changing the airbox.

I have a 2021 Laramie. Output air is not quite 42. It's closer to 45-48. I am thinking about adding a remote-controlled heater core bypass valve so the air will be colder. I live in the South and have a black interior. Yeah, it's important to me. ;)

Dave L

Reaction score
I also would like to know how to do this hack on a 3.6 pentastar.! AC is not bad but could be better but can't find anything for a 3.6

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also would like to know how to do this hack on a 3.6 pentastar.! AC is not bad but could be better but can't find anything for a 3.6
The heater core shut off is the same procedure, just find the ENG OUT hose from your water pump. I think Muzzy's AC Hack on Amazon has a picture for all three engine configurations

KcRay

Reaction score
You'll have to do the valve install up closer to the firewall. The penstar water hoses have a different configuration to take coolant to other places.
Make sure you are only blocking coolant from getting to the heater core.

Cogito

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a fix for the A/C issues with the 1500's? I got the typical "normal operation" from the two dealers I took it to around here. I ordered "Muzzy's AC hack for Ram" from Amazon which several people on the hemi side of the house have used and swear by it. I was hoping someone on the 3.0 side has installed it and would be willing to post a picture.
Interesting thread. Earlier this season I was beginning to think my 2020 Bighorn EcoDiesel's a/c wasn't performing up to expectations, but it may have been the way I had it set. I don't care for fan noise, so I always ran it on manual with low fan speed at temp set around 70. Didn't have time to have it checked out before a recent nine-day vacation trip with three on board. I decided not to worry about fan roar and switched to automatic with temp at 66-68. Worked fine, although we didn't see outdoor temperatures much above 90. Atlanta summers can be hot and muggy though not as bad as other areas. I'll continue to monitor.

Waynebudke

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a fix for the A/C issues with the 1500's? I got the typical "normal operation" from the two dealers I took it to around here. I ordered "Muzzy's AC hack for Ram" from Amazon which several people on the hemi side of the house have used and swear by it. I was hoping someone on the 3.0 side has installed it and would be willing to post a picture.
The best thing I have done is put clear UV tint on the windshield. Lots of tint places do it and it really improves the coolness of the truck. Reduces the Solar heat getting in through that huge windshield.

cacheroxz

Reaction score
If you were unable to find a solution through the dealerships you visited, trying out a product like "Muzzy's AC hack for Ram" might be worth considering. It's always helpful to hear from others who have used it successfully, so hopefully, someone from the 3.0 side can share their experience and even provide a picture.
By the way, if you ever need reliable appliance repair services, you can check out https://musiccityappliance.services/. They offer professional repair services and might be able to assist you.
When attempting any fixes or modifications, it's important to follow proper instructions and take necessary precautions. If you're unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it's best to consult with professionals or seek advice from fellow enthusiasts who have dealt with similar A/C issues in their Ram 1500.

Last edited:

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does you guys condenser fan on the outside of the vehicle go faster and then slower with the compressor as it cycles on and off? Mine does and Im wondering if its because its a small diesel and they don't wan to over cool the engine? I haven't had another car that does this.

Users who are viewing this thread