5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Conditioning Fix

Funeman

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a fix for the A/C issues with the 1500's? I got the typical "normal operation" from the two dealers I took it to around here. I ordered "Muzzy's AC hack for Ram" from Amazon which several people on the hemi side of the house have used and swear by it. I was hoping someone on the 3.0 side has installed it and would be willing to post a picture.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was not very impressed with my ac, so I took it to the dealer and they did a recalibration of the hvac system and some updates and now it it works okay and actually cools the truck down but still not at cold as my old truck. I’d rather avoid having the dash torn out for the AC tsb fix.

From what I have read the AC hack is just closing off one of the heater core lines to prevent any hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. If you can find which line is the supply line for the heater core it might be your best bet.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a fix for the A/C issues with the 1500's? I got the typical "normal operation" from the two dealers I took it to around here. I ordered "Muzzy's AC hack for Ram" from Amazon which several people on the hemi side of the house have used and swear by it. I was hoping someone on the 3.0 side has installed it and would be willing to post a picture.
What's the hack?
What are your vent temps?

afphinfan

Reaction score
I ordered the kit from Amazon but haven't had time yet to look at it. The provided instruction sheet has pics for the Hemi and EcoDiesel but not the Pentastar ... Has anyone done this on the 3.6l v6 yet?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the Amazon kit may have pictures of each engine application, if not look for the coolant line from the water pump that says ENG OUT

RBRK

Reaction score
my 21 I just got works much better and is actually cold. So the TSB should fix the issue. But you need dash removal and a dealer that will do it. My 19 sucked when I first got it but after some PCM updates the radiator fan ran much stronger and helped keep the condenser cool and also varied with speed. Depending on your year a software check and update may help. But it won’t be as good as the redesigned box as per the TSB. The blocking off of the heater hose works well and makes it cold, it is a hack and requires shutting off and turning on/off depending if you need some warmth, fogging etc.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Any idea of the specific TSB # to reference when talking with the dealers?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was built November 2019, so one of the very first EcoDiesel Gen 3s. Never had an issue with the A/C. Vents were 52 degrees and I was comfy.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was built November 2019, so one of the very first EcoDiesel Gen 3s. Never had an issue with the A/C. Vents were 52 degrees and I was comfy.
Isn't 52 degrees running warm? On MAX AC and full fan it should be temping near 42. I have mine in now - 2020 Rebel and cannot get it to temp below 52 on any day and the fan strength is abysmal. The loaner they sent me home with (2020 V6 Warlock) temped at 42.2 degrees and had my hair blowing like a wind storm. Dealer is telling me my Rebel is blowing ice cold. I said you are crazy and get me the manager tomorrow morning.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't 52 degrees running warm? On MAX AC and full fan it should be temping near 42. I have mine in now - 2020 Rebel and cannot get it to temp below 52 on any day and the fan strength is abysmal. The loaner they sent me home with (2020 V6 Warlock) temped at 42.2 degrees and had my hair blowing like a wind storm. Dealer is telling me my Rebel is blowing ice cold. I said you are crazy and get me the manager tomorrow morning.

I can't answer that.

All I can tell you is that our heat index readings frequently exceed 100F here, and I never had a complaint with my A/C really. It did well considering the size of the cabin it had to cool, which is larger than 95% of cars on the road.

gorilla57

Reaction score
With my heater core line shut off with the manual valve, I see @ 44F in 115F heat. If I open up the valve, I see 55-56F in 115F heat. Which temp would you prefer? I know what I do when it gets hot enough for AC......Phoenix heat tests the AC very well. I am not going to do the TSB as the guys that have done it aren't seeing 42-44F that I see. Plus, I don't trust a tech to do it right.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to chance the fix...I am not handy enough to do a manual workaround...and I am not happy enough with the temps I am getting to leave it as is. If they screw it up I will keep going back and if it's that bad they can deal with it at lease end. This is after 40 minutes on a 77 degree day with full ceramic tint...the cab should be COLD.

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 84

PostPremium

Reaction score
All other vehicles on the road put out air approximately ten degrees cooler. You're lucky, unfortunately for me, 52 degrees can't cool the cabin to my liking.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I know mine gets down into the upper 40's last time I checked, but I usually keep it on auto and recirculation on and keep the set temp around 68* on real hot days, but then again I don't like it mother in law kiss cold either.

Now my 1992 f150 will get down into the upper 30's I usually have to turn the fan speed down on that truck because it cools the cab down pretty quick, but then again its a reg cab pickup.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know mine gets down into the upper 40's last time I checked, but I usually keep it on auto and recirculation on and keep the set temp around 68* on real hot days, but then again I don't like it mother in law kiss cold either.

Now my 1992 f150 will get down into the upper 30's I usually have to turn the fan speed down on that truck because it cools the cab down pretty quick, but then again its a reg cab pickup.
My 2010 gmc would get so cold you had to turn the fan speed down or temp up even after 10 years of use. While the ac might be good for some in the DT body style trucks I think it would be nice to not require the fan speed maxed on recirculate even on hour long drives just to keep the cab cool.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the other thing I noticed is that the fan speed does not turn down if a call comes in. My Silverado and Equinox both adjusted fan speed when calls came in...am I missing a setting or is that just a Chevy/GM thing? Between that and the poor temps the fan is always running on high.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
the other thing I noticed is that the fan speed does not turn down if a call comes in. My Silverado and Equinox both adjusted fan speed when calls came in...am I missing a setting or is that just a Chevy/GM thing? Between that and the poor temps the fan is always running on high.
My truck turns down the fan speed when I get or make a call.

You guys had me worried with all of the threads on poor AC performance, but I'm happy to report that my 2021 Laramie pumps out very cold air. I can't run it on max for very long because it gets too cold. I'm relieved because we are in the middle of a record breaking heat wave.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck turns down the fan speed when I get or make a call.

You guys had me worried with all of the threads on poor AC performance, but I'm happy to report that my 2021 Laramie pumps out very cold air. I can't run it on max for very long because it gets too cold. I'm relieved because we are in the middle of a record breaking heat wave.
Mine does not do this with CarPlay, are you using normal Bluetooth? Maybe they need to reprogram the truck to recognize CarPlay or Android auto calls.

I had the ac on full blast yesterday for 40 minutes after fishing and my passenger said he was frozen but I still needed the ac full blast to keep me cool. Going to bug my service dept again about the ac and see what they say.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Mine does not do this with CarPlay, are you using normal Bluetooth? Maybe they need to reprogram the truck to recognize CarPlay or Android auto calls.

I had the ac on full blast yesterday for 40 minutes after fishing and my passenger said he was frozen but I still needed the ac full blast to keep me cool. Going to bug my service dept again about the ac and see what they say.
Bluetooth. Yesterday I connected to Android Auto but I can't remember if I got a call or not.

Users who are viewing this thread