5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning doesn't cool well

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Perfect aside from the aquamarine colored handle and worm gear hose clamps. Navy blue handle and spring clamps would be closer to perfection, maybe a valve made from stainless steel to really knock it out of the park

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perfect aside from the aquamarine colored handle and worm gear hose clamps. Navy blue handle and spring clamps would be closer to perfection, maybe a valve made from stainless steel to really knock it out of the park
your right...nothing is worse as far as hose clamps go, than cheap worm gear types...there's a reason the factories don't use them on the assembly line...some know, some don't...

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll either have to do the AC hack or have this TSB done. I tried the hack first to verify what the problem was, then had the TSB done. Works awesome now
does anyone outside of the 3/36 warranty know how much this cost to fix? i have a 2019 i got in december and had to kick on the a/c yesterday and it took forever to get slightly cold (max a/c)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
does anyone outside of the 3/36 warranty know how much this cost to fix? i have a 2019 i got in december and had to kick on the a/c yesterday and it took forever to get slightly cold (max a/c)
Depends on what is wrong. Some were just shipped from factory with a low refrigerant charge. Others needed the dash tore apart to fix.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really don’t know because I didn’t have to pay. Was yours working fine previous to this?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven’t had the truck long enough to know how a/c performed
Understood. It's hard to say if you need the TSB, or if something else is wrong. The way to tell is to install the hack, measure the vent temps next to the center stack, and see how it performs with the hack engaged. If the hack doesn't help, something else is going on with it.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Mine blows cold - but my Wrangler blows MUCH colder. What is weird when driving longer distances - I can hear like the door open every 30 minutes or so and the pressure/sound changes for a few minutes then back to normal.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Understood. It's hard to say if you need the TSB, or if something else is wrong. The way to tell is to install the hack, measure the vent temps next to the center stack, and see how it performs with the hack engaged. If the hack doesn't help, something else is going on with it.
would doing this void the TSB or recall when itake it in? im not sure how good of a case i can argue i need the work done to a dealer when they ope the hood and see a cut up hose and a lever attached.

Scram1500

Reaction score
There isn't any actual cutting of the hose. You just splice in a small piece before the valve. If you're going in for the TSB I'd leave it alone for now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
would doing this void the TSB or recall when itake it in? im not sure how good of a case i can argue i need the work done to a dealer when they ope the hood and see a cut up hose and a lever attached.
No not at all. You just remove the hack before taking it in. Only takes a couple minutes. I use some needle nose vice grips and a rag on the heater hose to prevent as much coolant loss as possible (the one to the left of my valve). This way you’ll only lose a couple drops. Honestly this is easier than changing oil. I just can’t remember the heater hose size at the moment.

E8A827BF-E0C8-4530-85B7-DB7A4705441B.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No not at all. You just remove the hack before taking it in. Only takes a couple minutes. I use some needle nose vice grips and a rag on the heater hose to prevent as much coolant loss as possible (the one to the left of my valve). This way you’ll only lose a couple drops. Honestly this is easier than changing oil. I just can’t remember the heater hose size at the moment.

View attachment 155592
Should be 5/8s heater hose IIRC

6of36

Reaction score
As a former mechanic, it shouldn't void the warranty, but let them know you did that to be able to drive it without sweating to death before you got it in. Make sure they know the doors are not working right, and make sure they write it up properly. If the write up isn't accurate, the mechanic won't know.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a former mechanic, it shouldn't void the warranty, but let them know you did that to be able to drive it without sweating to death before you got it in. Make sure they know the doors are not working right, and make sure they write it up properly. If the write up isn't accurate, the mechanic won't know.
He doesn't know if the doors are working or not. If it's just low on refrigerant, but they think they need to take dash apart or check doors that's added labor cost to him

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He doesn't know if the doors are working or not. If it's just low on refrigerant, but they think they need to take dash apart or check doors that's added labor cost to him

True. I appreciate all the concern I guess when time comes and we have consistent warm weather I’ll have the a/c charged or looked and at go from there. Thank u for the help.

One last question though. If I install the hack do you leave that valve open or closed or 1/2 way?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True. I appreciate all the concern I guess when time comes and we have consistent warm weather I’ll have the a/c charged or looked and at go from there. Thank u for the help.

One last question though. If I install the hack do you leave that valve open or closed or 1/2 way?
Closed all the way when you don't need heater.

Users who are viewing this thread