5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning doesn't cool well

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
True. I appreciate all the concern I guess when time comes and we have consistent warm weather I’ll have the a/c charged or looked and at go from there. Thank u for the help.

One last question though. If I install the hack do you leave that valve open or closed or 1/2 way?
Close it all The way to do your test. I forget the vent temp is should read with the valve closed. in the 50s iirc

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I installed the valve in summer of 2020 (if i remember correctly). Its been working great since then. In the spring/fall ill open/close it a few times as weather in colorado can fluctuate greatly. Would love to have an electric version that can be opened or closed without opening the hood, but not a big deal. VERY disappointing that this even has to be done, but it does make quite the difference.

I mention the a/c issue every time i go to the dealer for service. Tried for the TSB, but they declined it (forget why).

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed the valve in summer of 2020 (if i remember correctly). Its been working great since then. In the spring/fall ill open/close it a few times as weather in colorado can fluctuate greatly. Would love to have an electric version that can be opened or closed without opening the hood, but not a big deal. VERY disappointing that this even has to be done, but it does make quite the difference.

I mention the a/c issue every time i go to the dealer for service. Tried for the TSB, but they declined it (forget why).

Not sure of rating, whether this would be good, but this was a quick google search, 12 volt electric water valve. There are many varieties.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

6of36

Reaction score
Vehicles use to come with these from the factory. They were usually vacuum controlled from what I remember. This would nice to hook up to the garage door opener with an RF interface.
Some water valves were vacuum, and some were cable. I bet, with some engineering, you could hook to a relay, and have it switch off of a signal from the temperature control. Make the signal for heat, trigger the relay. You would have to make sure you got one with the right specs, like I said, this was a quick search, without checking.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some water valves were vacuum, and some were cable. I bet, with some engineering, you could hook to a relay, and have it switch off of a signal from the temperature control. Make the signal for heat, trigger the relay. You would have to make sure you got one with the right specs, like I said, this was a quick search, without checking.
Could be possible. Hard to say since almost everything on these trucks are signaled directly by the ECM. Even the LED headlights surprisingly. It really would suck to have to lift the hood every time. There’s days when it’s 50 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Could be possible. Hard to say since almost everything on these trucks are signaled directly by the ECM. Even the LED headlights surprisingly. It really would suck to have to lift the hood every time. There’s days when it’s 50 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon.
That is one of the main reasons why I ended up trading my '20 Big Horn. Cold, damp mornings changing to hot and humid days resulted in a number of times popping my hood and flipping the valve. The hack worked great, but what a pain. Gotta say, with whatever changes Ram made to the a/c system, my '22 gets plenty chilly in stock form.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is one of the main reasons why I ended up trading my '20 Big Horn. Cold, damp mornings changing to hot and humid days resulted in a number of times popping my hood and flipping the valve. The hack worked great, but what a pain. Gotta say, with whatever changes Ram made to the a/c system, my '22 gets plenty chilly in stock form.
That’s how I was before the TSB. I still have the hack on there, but it stays open all the time because the AC actually works now. Guess I’ll take it off one day 🤷🏻‍♂️

alex3610

Reaction score
Hey there,

If you do end up working with your local dealership with this, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
I am going to take it in to the local dealer soon, going out of town next week on business but it's definitely going and I will reach out for sure. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread