5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Compressor off 400w plug

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That specific compressor will be close to the maximum power that outlet can provide. 120v x 3A = 360 watts. Since it uses an oil-less pump it won't be affected by temperature as much as it would if it used a pump with an oil sump. The worst that will happen is it will pop the circuit breaker on that outlet. I did that a couple of times in my previous truck (2017 Rebel).

adboyd06

Reaction score
Bringing this back alive - does anyone have a small compressor that they can test? Like a small harbor freight or porter cable pancake compressor. Need the ability to run a compressor to fill tires in four wheelers when on the trail.

james.h.morris68

Reaction score

I used one of these for this exact purpose. Worked great.

I also picked up the one below for taking on the trail on my DR650 when I had to air up and down for different road types. This is the newer model. Mine I bought 6 years ago and it still works like it was brand new. And it’s been to hell and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need a pancake compressor for just trail use, that's overkill. I have one similar to lharrell's above, and it works fine.

adboyd06

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. The Viair looks like a nice unit. I agree that the pancake compressor is overkill, but at least it can serve double duty. Any they're only $40.

derp

Reaction score
I've got a rollNlock bed cover. I've been thinking about adding an air storage tank under the rollnlock cover with a 12 compressor to air up the storage tank. I figure when I want air, I won't want to wait for the tank to air up or the slow fill for a 12 compressor, so I can bring it up to pressure as I drive and have air on demand.

there's also the space under the bed that the stock air tanks go if you don't have air suspension. that's another appealing place to put a tank.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
I've used this one from Horror Freight and it works just fine with the rear seat outlet.
I'd like to move it to the bed. However I am trying to get an air suspension compressor from a new RAM. bolt that up in the factory place then run air lines with quick connects to the four wheel wells.

61615_Mar13.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've used this one from Horror Freight and it works just fine with the rear seat outlet.
I'd like to move it to the bed. However I am trying to get an air suspension compressor from a new RAM. bolt that up in the factory place then run air lines with quick connects to the four wheel wells.

61615_Mar13.jpg
That’s a scary place :)

adboyd06

Reaction score

Awesome, I was looking at that one too. Ideally I'd leave the compressor up in the V nose part of the trailer run a heavy duty short extension cord from the cab in the truck, let the compressor fill and go about my business. Thank you.

Boston

Reaction score
I use a viair 88p to air up my jeeps tires. If you add in a supplementary tank, fill it from shop compressor before you leave home.
None of the 12v compressors have a duty cycle good enough for hours of continuous usage.

Users who are viewing this thread