5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Break Sound

mdlzr

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram Limited 4x4 with all air ride suspension my truck only has 2800 miles on it but two times now once in November and yesterday while the truck is in park and running I get this giant whoosh sound identical to a semi releasing air breaks it scares the hell out of me, went to the dealer and no warning codes or lights. they tell me the bags run on nitrogen so cant be that . Has anyone else had this happen and any ideas thanks.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Happened to me twice also. I assume it's the air ride leveling out but seemed strange to me also.

Checkmate251

Reaction score
It does it on my 2016 limited with air ride, definitely that!
got to be some kind of relief valve or something similar!

Krootz

Reaction score
Wait...air ride with nitrogen? Seems a little off to me. I recall it being a compressor, as in like “air” compressor. Nitrogen would require a sealed system. I’m curious now

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Yeah I call BS… I think the dealer rep was mistaken. The dampeners may have nitrogen in them but the air system runs on the same stuff you and I breathe in and out of our lungs

Krootz

Reaction score
Yeah I call BS… I think the dealer rep was mistaken. The dampeners may have nitrogen in them but the air system runs on the same stuff you and I breathe in and out of our lungs
Yeah, nitrogen would be overly complicated and expensive for an air ride setup. It’s got to be an air compressor system...and those ALWAYS have a pressure release valve that activates at a set PSI to keep from popping the bags.

Ride2little

Reaction score
I have the air ride susp and have never heard such a noise. The compressor seems to run for both raising and lowering. No big air release ever.
Keep in mind that there is no air tank or reservoir other than the bags themselves.
Not sure what you have going on there.

Krootz

Reaction score
OK, so if the system uses the bags as the “reservoir” there could still be an emergency release valve that gets triggered at a certain PSI. I’m just offering up possibilities, I’m curious to find out what is really going on though. I can’t find anything online and mine doesn’t have air bags.

jasnak

Reaction score
Wait...air ride with nitrogen? Seems a little off to me. I recall it being a compressor, as in like “air” compressor. Nitrogen would require a sealed system. I’m curious now
It is a nitrogen filled system and compressed air. So a compressed air pump builds pressure and pushes a pistion to build pressure on the nitrogen side then to the airbags. Nitrogen doesn’t heat or expand as quickly as air is y they use it for 1/2 the truck. Aka heat from suspension movement

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel used to do that every now and then , it does a self test and then releases the air out with a big ..... ( can’t really describe it ) other than the air brakes on a semi .

jasnak

Reaction score
My 2016 Rebel used to do that every now and then , it does a self test and then releases the air out with a big ..... ( can’t really describe it ) other than the air brakes on a semi .
It will be an air drier. Captures the moisture on the air side and blows it out the bottom of the air drier once in awhile.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I have the air ride susp and have never heard such a noise. The compressor seems to run for both raising and lowering. No big air release ever.
Keep in mind that there is no air tank or reservoir other than the bags themselves.

There are 2 tanks under the bed.

Attachments

• air tanks.jpg
    air tanks.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 79

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, nitrogen would be overly complicated and expensive for an air ride setup. It’s got to be an air compressor system...and those ALWAYS have a pressure release valve that activates at a set PSI to keep from popping the bags.
Modern air suspensions do not use air from the atmosphere - this would lead to condensation issues, and air is too temperature sensitive. They are SEALED nitrogen systems with reservoir tanks. Yes there is a compressor but that is needed to get the nitrogen in and out of the tank.

Krootz

Reaction score
Oh I get it. It’s both. Air compressor drives a piston that pushes nitrogen into the bags. The air release is either to purge air/moisture or whatever and the sealed system is unaffected. If that is in fact what’s going on here, still sounds overly complicated.

Does anyone have a diagram or visual reference of this “air-to-nitrogen” system? I’m super interested in this now

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Oh I get it. It’s both. Air compressor drives a piston that pushes nitrogen into the bags. The air release is either to purge air/moisture or whatever and the sealed system is unaffected. If that is in fact what’s going on here, still sounds overly complicated.

Does anyone have a diagram or visual reference of this “air-to-nitrogen” system? I’m super interested in this now

See my pic of how it is laid out in post 13.

Krootz

Reaction score
I saw that, I was looking for a graphic of how the air compressor interacts with the sealed nitrogen system. Just curious how it works together

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that, I was looking for a graphic of how the air compressor interacts with the sealed nitrogen system. Just curious how it works together
Forget everything about "air" It is a sealed system using a nitrogen compressor pumping nitrogen from 2 tanks to the bags and back.
And that's it, no air in the system.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Heard it on my 2020 Laramie 2500 yesterday for the first time. I had just turned it off and heard the "whish" as I opened the door to get out. Sounded like the moisture ejectors on an air brake system.

Users who are viewing this thread