5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Bag Reviews (Timber Grove or others?)

Scjon03

Reaction score
I just installed the Airlift 5000 bags with the wireless compressor. Did it all my self. I have the ORP on my truck with a 2” front level and a 1” rear spacer. I got the Airlift 2” airbag spacers and everything went together just fine. The only thing I had to do was drill a new hole in the airbag lower mount that attaches to the axle on the driver side. For some reason the ORP and the Rebel axle are different from the standard Ram. It sucks you have to cut off the bump stops but the bags I got has the inner jounce. So it should be fine. Anyways installation went fine and just follow the instructions. A lot of tight places when installing the upper top mount bolts in the frame and the installation of the top mounts to the bags. I’m happy with them.

RamSco

Reaction score
I am looking at these for my Rebel with 3.5" Readylift installed. Wondering if anyone else has them with a truck similarly equipped?
I recommend calling Steve at Timber Grove directly. Mine is ORP and I believe both Rebel and ORP have an elevated axle-mount bump stop to account for their 1" factory lift. You added 2" lift (I believe) to the rear with your Readylift 3.5 kit. Between the factory Rebel lift and aftermarket Readylift, I believe you're 3" above a non-Rebel. But, again, they've raised the bump stop axle mount ~ 1". So I think you're 2" greater than stock non-Rebel at the bump stop which is where these mount. I'm guessing you can order the regular Timber Groves (non lift brackets) but I do recommend talking to Steve first. They're easy to install as long as you have the correct brackets. Took me a few times to get there.

RAMREB

Reaction score
I recommend calling Steve at Timber Grove directly. Mine is ORP and I believe both Rebel and ORP have an elevated axle-mount bump stop to account for their 1" factory lift. You added 2" lift (I believe) to the rear with your Readylift 3.5 kit. Between the factory Rebel lift and aftermarket Readylift, I believe you're 3" above a non-Rebel. But, again, they've raised the bump stop axle mount ~ 1". So I think you're 2" greater than stock non-Rebel at the bump stop which is where these mount. I'm guessing you can order the regular Timber Groves (non lift brackets) but I do recommend talking to Steve first. They're easy to install as long as you have the correct brackets. Took me a few times to get there.

I ended up calling Steve yesterday, nice guy. I told him my setup and I measured my Readylift spacers to confirm they were 2". He told me I needed to get his regular 19-20 1500 Ram kit and upgrade to the 2" taller airbags. I placed the order yesterday and should have them mid week.

RamSco

Reaction score
I ended up calling Steve yesterday, nice guy. I told him my setup and I measured my Readylift spacers to confirm they were 2". He told me I needed to get his regular 19-20 1500 Ram kit and upgrade to the 2" taller airbags. I placed the order yesterday and should have them mid week.
Perfect. Yeah he’s a good guy. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with him to get mine right. ORP with a 6” (5 in back) was my challenge.

RAMREB

Reaction score
Took advantage of my quarantine time and got them installed today. The package was packaged very nicely, super good fitment. I had a question about the amount the bag was leaning from front to back so I called Steve. I ended up sending him a couple of pictures and he said it looked good. Great customer service. Highly recommend!

IMG_0409.JPEG

tobyw

Reaction score
RAMREB and RamSco - Do you both have the 2" longer bags?? I talked with Steve at TG and he said the lifted bracket kits and the normal kits he sells all use the same bag, so I'm interested in these extended bags you have? Were they special order or recommended due to the ORP/Rebel package?

I recently acquired a used Timber Grove kit from a member here, just the normal kit, and I'm trying to adapt it to my ORP with the BDS 4" lift. From what I can gather, the 4" BDS kit uses a 3" rear spring to keep things closer to level, and my ORP already had a factory 1" lift, meaning my net rear lift is actually only ~2"... Taking into account the ORP's taller bumpstop mount, my airbag spacing should be within ~1" of a factory non-ORP truck if I'm thinking about all of this correctly?

Regardless, I'm going to fabricate a simple 1" spacer to raise the lower bag mount accordingly, and hopefully I'll be good to go...

SColang22

Reaction score
RAMREB and RamSco - Do you both have the 2" longer bags?? I talked with Steve at TG and he said the lifted bracket kits and the normal kits he sells all use the same bag, so I'm interested in these extended bags you have? Were they special order or recommended due to the ORP/Rebel package?

I recently acquired a used Timber Grove kit from a member here, just the normal kit, and I'm trying to adapt it to my ORP with the BDS 4" lift. From what I can gather, the 4" BDS kit uses a 3" rear spring to keep things closer to level, and my ORP already had a factory 1" lift, meaning my net rear lift is actually only ~2"... Taking into account the ORP's taller bumpstop mount, my airbag spacing should be within ~1" of a factory non-ORP truck if I'm thinking about all of this correctly?

Regardless, I'm going to fabricate a simple 1" spacer to raise the lower bag mount accordingly, and hopefully I'll be good to go...
Call Steve. You need the longer bags. He sells them for about $50 I think. He’ll set you up. The bags just bolt in so you can swap them easy

Attachments

• 2372B3F1-3955-440C-80B8-71713DE93CF6.png
    2372B3F1-3955-440C-80B8-71713DE93CF6.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 58

RAMREB

Reaction score

X2 reccomending calling Steve he will tell you exactly what you need. The number on his site is his cell. He answered me on a Saturday.

tobyw

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I already talked with Steve about 2 weeks back, he told me the bags are the same on his lifted version kits and the standard kits, the difference is just in the mounting brackets....

That's why I was wondering how you came about the 2" longer bags?

SColang22

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I already talked with Steve about 2 weeks back, he told me the bags are the same on his lifted version kits and the standard kits, the difference is just in the mounting brackets....

Call him again. Bags are 100% different.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I won't install a compressor. I always have a small, inexpensive 12 volt compressor though... piece of cake and easy to adjust with that. I got my air bag kit but haven't installed it yet.
Plus you save weight and reduce possible failure points...

RamSco

Reaction score

I agree with SColang22. Bags are different. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Steve doing R&D because the first set up he mailed didn't fit properly on the ORP with BDS 6". The result is he redesigned both the axle mount and frame mount brackets and they fit perfectly now. Very pleased with finished product.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
I went with the Air lift 1000 kit when I first got my Ram. After two leaking bags ( neither replaced under warranty) in 8 months I gave up and installed some Timbergroves.

I had some issues with the Canadian vendor of the Timber Groves they shipped me the Ram Classic kit to start and then when I got my 5th Gen kit it was short some of the air line and looked like it had been opened and returned. I called TimberGrove to ask a question about the length of the line I needed on the Saturday morning of Memorial day and Steve answered. Amazing!! We figured out a solution and I got on with the removal of the air lift kit and the install of the TimberGrove.

Both kits do the same thing, but the quality of the TimberGrove is worth every penny. If you're towing or carrying heavy I really cant recommend it enough.

Damion

Reaction score
I went with the airlift 1000HD setup. I haven’t used it as of yet but had the same setup in my ‘16 sport and they worked great. I always make sure there’s plenty of slack on top of the bag for airline movement.

dnelso2

Reaction score
I installed a set of the Timber Grove Airbags on my 2019 Longhorn. Very pleased with them. Well made and easy to install. I didn’t get the expensive on board compressor system. I keep a Milwaukee M12 inflator in one of the Ramboxes. Works just fine
Did you replace the coil springs or get the ones that mount next to them?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I had Airlift 1000 in coil bags on my 4th gen for over 160,000km and not one single issue towing heavy and through 9 Canadian winters so far. All I needed was a regular bike pump to change the air pressure between 5psi for regular daily driving and up to 35 for max towing, but usually 25psi to eliminate bouncing across expansion joints when towing.

Will definitely be going with the airlift HD in my rebel when it arrives for $165CDN vs the next cheapest at $950. Even if I have to buy bags to replace for failure I’m ahead by hundreds of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
$950? Website posts $379. https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home
In coil bags can definitely suffice. Having had both I'll pay the extra.

Add Canadian exchange, no free shipping and then the tax and border fees and it’ll be close. Just the exchange puts it at $492CDN. Duty and customs fees are usually $65-75, tax at 5% on all of that plus plus shipping isn’t free to Canada, $50-65, that $379 price is about $660 by the time it hits my door. Better than $950, but still over my play money budget.

donnymac250

Reaction score
Add Canadian exchange, no free shipping and then the tax and border fees and it’ll be close. Just the exchange puts it at $492CDN. Duty and customs fees are usually $65-75, tax at 5% on all of that plus plus shipping isn’t free to Canada, $50-65, that $379 price is about $660 by the time it hits my door. Better than $950, but still over my play money budget.

called canadian distributor yesterday , $658 taxs included .then you have to add on shipping about $40 through canada post.

Users who are viewing this thread