5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Bag Reviews (Timber Grove or others?)

WRH

Reaction score
I'm looking to install some air bags to level out the back end when towing. I came across these which look nice, easy to install, and no frame modifications:

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/2019-ram-1500

I'm curious to hear what other have used, liked, and recommend. These will be going on my 2019 Bighorn.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rebel102285

Reaction score
Had timber Grove on my 17 and will put them on my 19. They are way better designed than the others - don't require any cutting for install. Also had a small issue MY Fault where I got too much suspension flex and ripped my lines out and ruined the bag fittings. Once again my fault - timber Grove over nighted parts to me immediately at no cost to me.

R

ramit2019

i had air lift on my 4th gens and i order them 3 days ago for my 19'. i love the wireless system

R

ramit2019

not to mention the price for both the air bags and wireless compressor with tax came out to $800, that's not bad at all in my mind. Cheaper than most ive come across

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Compressor isn’t necessary but nice if have an extra $400. Use them for a heavy bed load or as a great compliment to a WDH. They really help to support dampen & control the rear suspension when towing a heavy load and you hit rough uneven pavement such as the inside of many curves.

However with proper use of a WDH you shouldn’t need them to pick the bed back up to level. It should already be level unless grossly overloaded. That said I like to tow with a slight rake.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought about air bags for my current truck to improve towing stability and comfort. Problem was that for me, the onboard compressor would be mandatory and that jumps the price up beyond what I wanted to spend on this truck that I plan on replacing next year. Let me explain.

We take long trips with our travel trailer that has an 800lb tongue weight. Thousands of miles over several weeks. On travel days I would need to air-up. Then when we get to our destination I would need to air-down for a couple of days of local touring before hitting the road again. Just another couple things to do on travel days. I could break out the compressor and all, but I’m trying to simplify.

Next truck will have air suspension!

WRH

Reaction score
I won't install a compressor. I always have a small, inexpensive 12 volt compressor though... piece of cake and easy to adjust with that. I got my air bag kit but haven't installed it yet.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Zeronet Like WRH said cheap lil compressor from Harbor Freight or Wallmart would work well for you and store under your back seat. Just make sure you select one that has enough cord to reach your air valve. It would air them up in under a minute. For that matter leave 5 psi in it to drive around, that 5psi plus WDH should easily take your TT to the nearest truckstop for free air to air up to your preference.

kayakman

Reaction score
I use Timbren SES, this will be my second truck to use them - for all 1500 to HD trucks front and rear. The reasons . I installed them and forget them. No Air. Truck stays level when I Tow the 5th wheel. I'm not trying to change your mind, just another option for those who are interested.

This is on a Ford but it gives you a good idea

My truck with Timbrens - approx. 1200 plus pounds in the box. 20170602_134851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Timbrens work as do in coil bags. I’ve had them. I’m just spoiled with the better ride & control of a quality axle to frame bag set up.

Last edited:

Rod150

Reaction score
I recently had the Airlift HD 1000 bags installed on my 2019 Ram 1500. Left bag has torn 3 times now. Last was when I went off camber about a foot. I went through a 1 foot deep narrow ditch off camber in a diagonal direction. As soon as the right front tire hit bottom, the Schrader valve tore out of the left rear bag. The other two bags did the same thing with normal city driving. I like the smooth ride of this truck. I like the idea of being able to level the truck with a load. I also hunt/ off road in the mountains. I won’t even be able to approach a two track without these bags tearing. Do I need to air down off road? Is there a better system without loosing my smooth ride? Bye the way these were professionally installed by 4 Wheel Parts. Thankfully I got the warranty. Has only cost me time taking it back each time.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Rod instead of the cheap plastiky in coil bags with cheap plastic lines & fittings. Get quality axle to frame setup like WRH linked in the first post. Heavy rubber bags actual brass fittings and a much better design. And yes you should not be running mad pressure when off road usually something like 7 psi with these bags and only need 15 to 20psi under heavy load. They don't require mad bouncy pressure to carry a load like the in coils. Have had them on my 2014 5 years and 540,000 miles transporting TTs for the Mfgs commercially no problems with leaks or blowouts etc. Spend $99 again or $368 and be happy and done with your purchase.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I installed a set of the Timber Grove Airbags on my 2019 Longhorn. Very pleased with them. Well made and easy to install. I didn’t get the expensive on board compressor system. I keep a Milwaukee M12 inflator in one of the Ramboxes. Works just fine

barr0208

Reaction score
im waiting till spring to install them, but I bought the stainless set. I like how easy it is to line them up after you install them.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I towed my tractor on a tandem trailer today. The Timber Grove Airbags worked great. Just what I was hoping for

RamSco

Reaction score
Great feedback on here about the Timber Groves. Thanks everyone. I've ordered those and they're out for delivery now. My truck is lifted and they have the lift-compatible models already built and ready to ship. Looks like a straight forward install. I had airbags on my 2500 and I always just used a high-end bicycle pump. Worked like a champ.

RamSco

Reaction score
Great feedback on here about the Timber Groves. Thanks everyone. I've ordered those and they're out for delivery now. My truck is lifted and they have the lift-compatible models already built and ready to ship. Looks like a straight forward install. I had airbags on my 2500 and I always just used a high-end bicycle pump. Worked like a champ.

03/07/2020 Update: Warning... The Timber Groves, as currently designed, will not fit my truck for two reasons: 1) I have a BDS 6” lift; 2) I have the ORP. Of course, I discovered this mid-install.

1) The air bag axle mounting bracket comes in contact with the upper control arm and won’t position into place. 2) The ORP and rebel axles have an elevated lower bump stop welded to the axle (about 1” greater than non ORP/Rebel). This extra inch makes the bags a bit tight.

I’ve been on the phone with Steve at Timber Grove and together we’re doing R&D to create a solution (this appears to be the first install on a 2019+ with BDS and ORP). The 4” lift version of the mounting bracket appears to be the solution for now. He’s good to work with and I’m confident we’ll solve it. Stay tuned as parts are in the mail and we’ll try again this coming week.

03/14/2020 Update: The 4" blocks, as designed, did not work either. The airbags wouldn't position into place. I've now pulled everything back out and have the 4" blocks at a machine shop to cut some new slots. I think that will work. Stay tuned...

03/20/2020 Update: The modified 4" blocks worked just fine and I've completed the install. Aside from the confusion on parts compatibility, the install was very easy. I have not towed with these yet but bags themselves seem very capable. Overall, pleased so far.

Attachments

• Del Timber Ridge 1.JPG
    Del Timber Ridge 1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Del Timber Ridge 2.jpg
    Del Timber Ridge 2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Del Timber Ridge 3.jpg
    Del Timber Ridge 3.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

RAMREB

Reaction score
I am looking at these for my Rebel with 3.5" Readylift installed. Wondering if anyone else has them with a truck similarly equipped?

Users who are viewing this thread