5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agonizing decision, need help

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I normally don’t ask for thoughts on this type of thing but I’m having issues with this one. To try and make a long story short I leased my current 5th gen Hemi about 13 months ago. I was a field foreman at work for years so I drove my work vehicle and only put about 5,500 miles a year on my personal truck which is why I tried leasing for the first time. Well 6 months later I got offered to come in and run the shop which was the same money except I now get a car allowance and gas card instead of the work truck. Now the commute in my personal vehicle is adding 21k miles a year to my vehicle. Needless to say that doesn’t work for my lease and I bought a second vehicle just to commute with. So for the last 8 months I’ve been watching for a chance to get out of my lease and into a new Ecodiesel. It’s what I think is the perfect vehicle for my commute and pulling my RV fish house on our trips year round. Currently I get 8mpg when towing it with my hemi.

Anyways my sales guy that I leased my truck from called me and said that trade values are very high and I could get out of my lease after only 13 months with only 1k in negative equity. He also found me the exact truck I wanted except I’d have to go back to the short box instead of the 6’-4” box. That and my payment would go up about $150 a month which I knew would happen because of the much higher MSRP.

I’m getting about 19mpg commuting in my truck and it does pull our camper fine. But I need to make a decision soon on whether I want to keep and buy mine or get out of it and get the ecodiesel. I’m the one that always says, life is short you should do what makes you happy. This time I’m looking at it more as a financial decision. What makes me nervous is the ecodiesel. I know there was a lot of issues a with the old one and the new version is so new. I’m worried I’ll be getting rid of something that works great and into a nightmare. But there are advantages to the ecodiesel if all goes well. The towing experience will be much better and I think I’m much more likely to keep the ecodiesel longer than my current truck. My wife told me to do whatever I want, normally when I hear that it makes me excited to do something, for some reason this decision is not so easy

billfraley

Reaction score
I would say it all sounds good except the short box.

Considering you are towing, the longer bed is better. But it may not matter that much overall.

I would also be sure you get 3.92 gears and 33 gallon tank.

I realize life is full of compromise so it really is up to you to decide what is more important.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say it all sounds good except the short box.

Considering you are towing, the longer bed is better. But it may not matter that much overall.

I would also be sure you get 3.92 gears and 33 gallon tank.

I realize life is full of compromise so it really is up to you to decide what is more important.

Yeah I know, I guess what really is scaring me is the reliability of that ecodiesel. I would just be so pissed if I got it and had a bunch of problems with it.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I've read that the reliability has really been improved.

Also, it's new so you'd have a drivetrain warranty

I would do it

billfraley

Reaction score
Yeah I know, I guess what really is scaring me is the reliability of that ecodiesel. I would just be so pissed if I got it and had a bunch of problems with it.
I traded my 2018 EcoDiesel for my 2020 Longhorn because of the same concern. I just decided that I was not willing to take continued risk of premature failure. My understanding of the Gen 3 3.0 changes is that they are improvements to components that should increase durability and reliability. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, the EPA in this country seems to have it out for diesel engines. I have read several articles stating that all diesels have had increased failure rates since the low sulfur and DEF requirements took place. Not sure how true that is though.

Bottom line for me is that it isnt worth the stress at this point.

tom318

Reaction score
If you like driving the ecodiesel and prefer that experience over the HEMI then get that one. If your buying it to save money, you wont. It will give you the illusion that your saving since you will see some savings at the pump each week . With that savings comes a new task of going to the store to get DEF and there goes half your fuel savings. They your other half in savings will go towards more expensive oil and fuel filters. (for some weird reason this doesn't bother me even though it costs me $$$).

If your worried about reliability, you will have that warranty and you could purchase an extended to feel more protected. All of this is okay but there is $0 savings taking this route IMO. Or if it turns out to be crap, once the 36k warranty runs out just go back to a HEMI.

I ordered an ecodiesel myself and plan to get the extended 6yr 125k warranty. I personally prefer the driving experience in a diesel and it gives me the illusion that i'm actually saving money when in the long run i'm not. I feel your struggle and had a hard time pulling the trigger on a truck in general but finally needed one for the family. I commute 80-100miles a day and currently drive a VW gold TDI getting 48mpg........even this ecodiesel is going to sting every week.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you like driving the ecodiesel and prefer that experience over the HEMI then get that one. If your buying it to save money, you wont. It will give you the illusion that your saving since you will see some savings at the pump each week . With that savings comes a new task of going to the store to get DEF and there goes half your fuel savings. They your other half in savings will go towards more expensive oil and fuel filters. (for some weird reason this doesn't bother me even though it costs me $$$).

If your worried about reliability, you will have that warranty and you could purchase an extended to feel more protected. All of this is okay but there is $0 savings taking this route IMO. Or if it turns out to be crap, once the 36k warranty runs out just go back to a HEMI.

I ordered an ecodiesel myself and plan to get the extended 6yr 125k warranty. I personally prefer the driving experience in a diesel and it gives me the illusion that i'm actually saving money when in the long run i'm not. I feel your struggle and had a hard time pulling the trigger on a truck in general but finally needed one for the family. I commute 80-100miles a day and currently drive a VW gold TDI getting 48mpg........even this ecodiesel is going to sting every week.
No I definitely am not doing it thinking I’m going to save money. For me it’s about the towing experience. I guess it could save me money in the long run if I end up keeping it a long time, which I think I would as long as I don’t have problems. With my work and personal use combined I’m looking at 26k miles a year or so. Right now I’d get $525 a month car allowance and a gas card use up to 125 gallons a month. If I drive the ecodiesel i get $575 a month plus the gas card. My payment is going to be $150 more so the Ecodiesel will cost me another $100 a month on my payment

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove the Hemi, then leased the EcoDiesel. After being without my truck for two weeks recently with a little over 5,000 miles on the odometer due to an oil leak, and after seeing what maintenance is going to cost on this thing if I keep it, there's no way I'd buy another. I'd go Hemi in a heartbeat. And, the Hemi feels WAY stronger and sportier in day to day driving.

While towing, my Eco is getting 14 MPG. Day to day she's around 21 MPG. I have the 3.92 gears.

When she's in the shop she gets 0 MPG. :)

Do yourself a favor and check out some of the FB owner groups. EGRs getting stuck open, CAC pipe leaks, timing cover leak, one dude had a blown engine at 3,100 miles. This engine might be "80% new" but it's apparently still 100% European trash.

As soon as I'm financially able to do so, I'm trading back into a gas truck again, probably another Gladiator. Same payload, tons more fun.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove the Hemi, then leased the EcoDiesel. After being without my truck for two weeks recently with a little over 5,000 miles on the odometer due to an oil leak, and after seeing what maintenance is going to cost on this thing if I keep it, there's no way I'd buy another. I'd go Hemi in a heartbeat. And, the Hemi feels WAY stronger and sportier in day to day driving.

While towing, my Eco is getting 14 MPG. Day to day she's around 21 MPG. I have the 3.92 gears.

Do yourself a favor and check out some of the FB owner groups. EGRs getting stuck open, CAC pipe leaks, timing cover leak, one dude had a blown engine at 3,100 miles. This engine might be "80% new" but it's apparently still 100% European trash.

As soon as I'm financially able to do so, I'm trading back into a gas truck again, probably another Gladiator. Same payload, tons more fun.

well I just got done test driving one for the first time. I didn’t like it, going to stick with my hemi

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother, will you be getting out of the lease to go into another lease??? Even if it's financed...you're spending another $150 to save gas... which isn't going to help you if you're already spending the extra money per month. Another thing...these ecodiesels hasn't been around as long as the Hemi... personally; I'd feel way better about keeping a Hemi over the eco desiel. If anything....get out of the lease and just finance your hemi or another one.

tom318

Reaction score

This all does not sound to good.....especially now that i'm waiting for a 2021 ecodiesel i ordered and it being the most expensive car I've ever purchased. I did a fair share of research but thought with all these trucks there are always issues and they do sell a lot of them so of coarse there are some problems out there.

I as well got the 3.92 gears, hopefully with my commute at mostly 45-60mph hwy i can do better than 21. My feet are feeling a little cold right now.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Anyone worried about the short box should get a bed extender. I got the one from AMP and have used it a number of times. It is great and helps with the short box.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i felt like I should elaborate a little more on my test drive experience. My truck has the 3.21 gears and Hemi. The truck I just test drove is the same one I was thinking about getting. It’s the ecodiesel with 3.92 gears, also has the sport appearance package, level 2 equipment, off road group, 33 gallon tank, 8.4 with nav which is something I don’t care about. Anyways I guess I just had no idea that the driving experience would be so different. It had a huge hesitation when I took off from a stop. Now I know that these trucks learn your driving style so maybe that would improve? As I said before my thoughts on doing this have nothing to do with saving money, it’s all about the towing experience. And I have no doubt that it would tow my camper a lot nicer than my truck. After the test drive I jumped back in mine and drove home and it just felt so much more comfortable, which really makes no sense considering the interior is exactly the same

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
i felt like I should elaborate a little more on my test drive experience. My truck has the 3.21 gears and Hemi. The truck I just test drove is the same one I was thinking about getting. It’s the ecodiesel with 3.92 gears, also has the sport appearance package, level 2 equipment, off road group, 33 gallon tank, 8.4 with nav which is something I don’t care about. Anyways I guess I just had no idea that the driving experience would be so different. It had a huge hesitation when I took off from a stop. Now I know that these trucks learn your driving style so maybe that would improve? As I said before my thoughts on doing this have nothing to do with saving money, it’s all about the towing experience. And I have no doubt that it would tow my camper a lot nicer than my truck. After the test drive I jumped back in mine and drove home and it just felt so much more comfortable, which really makes no sense considering the interior is exactly the same
That Ecodiesel you test drove sounds like it has a very nice configuration, very similar to my non ecodiesel. My 3.92 seems to jump off the line fairly quickly so I suppose the slow takeoff is probably a product of the ecodiesel. I did not know it would act that way as I have never driven one before but appreciate you sharing your experience.

jkm312

Reaction score
How many miles do you pull your trailer in a year? The extra costs of maintaining the eco diesel will eat up any fuel savings. Add in another additional $1800 worth of payments per year. Do you park your ecodiesel in an attached garage to your house? Cold diesels are nasty smelly in the dead of winter. That would be the deal breaker for me personally. I don't tolerate diesel exhaust very well these days, been around it too many years. If it were me I would get out of your lease and get into another new Hemi engine with 3.92 gears. I like the way mine drives, not sorry I bought it that way even though I don't tow much weight. In the end the decision is yours and I'm glad I'm not wrestling with this one. It's a tough one.

Boston

Reaction score
I think there aren’t enough ED sold for ay one dealer to know how to service or diagnose them properly.
Since Covid killed off the planned purchase a few months ago, I’ve been refining my preferences and leasing has come into the picture, but not for my truck, for my wife’s car.
It’s done under 2000 miles since December, but will do a 2200 mile drive next week

billfraley

Reaction score
The only way I could tolerate my 2018 EcoDiesel was with a tune that disabled the EGR and fixed the delayed acceleration from a stop. This is known data on the EcoDiesel trucks. If you didnt do a tune you can use something called Pedal Commander just to resolve the acceleration problem.

But I still dont see me ever getting another EcoDiesel. If I were to get another diesel it would be an HD with a Cummins. The only reason I would have to do that is if I decided to upgrade from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel.

I just towed my TT in the new 2020 Hemi 1500 this past Sunday. I drove from GA to MI across the Blue Ridge mountains and my Hemi with 3.92 pulled it flawlessly. The TT is a 2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH. Granted it is an Ultra Light but it was packed pretty good.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback guys. The vast majority of the mileage on the truck would be commute driving but we’ve already pulled the camper over 1,000 miles since May. Leaving on another trip with it tomorrow that will be 400 miles round trip. have at least a couple more trips planned through October and then a number of long trips over the winter for ice fishing. But again it’s not the money savings I’m looking for in the gas, it’s the better towing experience. The high rpms and frequent gas stops that I don’t like

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback guys. The vast majority of the mileage on the truck would be commute driving but we’ve already pulled the camper over 1,000 miles since May. Leaving on another trip with it tomorrow that will be 400 miles round trip. have at least a couple more trips planned through October and then a number of long trips over the winter for ice fishing. But again it’s not the money savings I’m looking for in the gas, it’s the better towing experience. The high rpms and frequent gas stops that I don’t like
The ED for the towing makes perfect sense. Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you go over your miles at the end of your lease you'd have the option to buy out the lease instead of paying the cost of the miles (if you decided to not go with the Ecodiesel later on).

Users who are viewing this thread