5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agonizing decision, need help

nburd

Reaction score
I have a commissioning agent who drives a 4 year old grand cherokee with the Eco diesel as his company car, 160k. No issues other than a catalyst code at 90k that the dealer fixed. He loves it and is buying it from his company next month as he is now getting a scat pack challenger as his next company vehicle, lucky guy. Anyway, the eco diesel is a very reliable motor.

Paultg

Reaction score
I would take that car allowance, put it towards the truck lease payment, only use truck for towing, and keep driving a fuel efficient beater for the commute.
I think you said you only have 18m left on the lease right?

Then when lease is up you have another decision. Keep the truck or change it out. I’d still prob keep commuting in something else cheap and pocketing that allowance to pay for the truck. Maybe at end of lease try to finance a 5.7l Hemi with 3:92s that would tow the camper just a bit better than the current Hemi.

ldoh

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on the 3rd gen ecodiesel rollout and have only seen a couple of minor issues. The folks on the ecodiesel forum feel it'll be much improved over the prior gen ecodiesel. Less lag, more power, good fuel economy, and so far better reliability. It all depends on your needs as the ecodiesel ratchets up the price a bit.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued replies. I didn’t do the deal. It really was a heck of deal they offered me but I couldn’t go back to the short box. I loaded up and went camping last weekend and my 6’-4” box was full and that was only a short weekend. Not sure what I’m going to do at this point. Not a big deal of course, just need to find the right solution

update, man I can’t believe this but after a lengthy discussion with my wife today she told me I should do it so I did pull the trigger. Going to be swapping the trucks out tomorrow. We pulled the camper another 400 miles this weekend and decided that the better towing experience was more important than an extra 9” of bed length. Plus I got them to sweeten the deal even more. I’m nervous about the move to the diesel but excited too.

Last edited:

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Thanks for the continued replies. I didn’t do the deal. It really was a heck of deal they offered me but I couldn’t go back to the short box. I loaded up and went camping last weekend and my 6’-4” box was full and that was only a short weekend. Not sure what I’m going to do at this point. Not a big deal of course, just need to find the right solution

update, man I can’t believe this but after a lengthy discussion with my wife today she told me I should do it so I did pull the trigger. Going to be swapping the trucks out tomorrow. We pulled the camper another 400 miles this weekend and decided that the better towing experience was more important than an extra 9” of bed length. Plus I got them to sweeten the deal even more. I’m nervous about the move to the diesel but excited too.
That's cool. Hope you like it. Get yourself the bed extender (I like the one from AMP). It'll help out with the short bed.

jkm312

Reaction score
Alright, the hardest part is over. Just pile the stuff in the back UP a little higher.
Enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread