5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket power running boards?

killerformula

Reaction score
I have a 22 with an off road package. I don't mind jumping up into the truck, but I'm starting to notice with some of my older and shorter passengers, it is an issue. I have a little folding step but it's not a great solution. I really should have gotten the power running boards.

What are my options at this point: can I install the mopar boards and have them interface the uconnect system? If not, how well do some of the aftermarket options work, and how do they work? Do they just deploy when the truck is turned off, or unlocked etc? Any particular brand people think are good?

Thanks for the help.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can have the Mopar boards installed and then the sales code can be changed to have them interface with the UConnect by the dealer or use AlfaOBD. I am looking to do this in the near future.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The Mopar boards can be DIY installed and integrated with AlfaOBD or you can have the dealer do them with the sales code.

There are a few aftermarket companies: Amp Research, Aries Actiontrac, and Rough Country.

The most popular options and probably the best built are Mopar and Amp. The perk of the Mopar boards is the integration, but the Amp boards are just slightly faster to deploy.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Amp research!... Pretty much same exact thing as the "Mopar" boards.... They are even better imo because they have the LED lights that shine down onto the steps/ground.. The factory steps on my longhorn don't have that. I ran amp boards on my 4th Gen for roughly 4 years and never had a problem with them!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

killerformula

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! How/when do the amp research boards deploy? When the truck is unlocked or right when the door opens etc?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! How/when do the amp research boards deploy? When the truck is unlocked or right when the door opens etc?
Amp research boards deploy/retract when the doors open / close I’m not sure if there is any kind of mod to trigger them based on lock/unlock, but that might be complicated, as would You want them to deploy if you unlocked while the truck was in drive with doors closed?
At least one other brand, RBP, deploys with magnetic sensors, when the doors open (Amp uses the obd port)

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amp research boards deploy/retract when the doors open / close I’m not sure if there is any kind of mod to trigger them based on lock/unlock, but that might be complicated, as would You want them to deploy if you unlocked while the truck was in drive with doors closed?
At least one other brand, RBP, deploys with magnetic sensors, when the doors open (Amp uses the obd port)
Good luck finding RBP boards anywhere. They are out of stock everywhere I've looked.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
The mopar boards are awesome and the Uconnect controls far outweigh the lighting in my opinion.
I can agree with this! I love being able to deploy my steps from the radio, especially nice in the carwash when wanting to get the step side nice and clean on them. Lights on the factory steps would honestly be pretty pointless since these newer trucks have thr nice super bright puddle lights shining down from the mirrors. But my 4th Gen had them as well and the AMP boards having their own lights did make a huge difference. But I do agree, I would without a doubt sacrifice the lights to have the uconnect controls every time for sure.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Amp research!... Pretty much same exact thing as the "Mopar" boards.... They are even better imo because they have the LED lights that shine down onto the steps/ground.. The factory steps on my longhorn don't have that. I ran amp boards on my 4th Gen for roughly 4 years and never had a problem with them!

I can agree with this! I love being able to deploy my steps from the radio, especially nice in the carwash when wanting to get the step side nice and clean on them. Lights on the factory steps would honestly be pretty pointless since these newer trucks have thr nice super bright puddle lights shining down from the mirrors. But my 4th Gen had them as well and the AMP boards having their own lights did make a huge difference. But I do agree, I would without a doubt sacrifice the lights to have the uconnect controls every time for sure.

Okay, someone must have hacked your account. :LOL:

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently had Mopar install their steps on my truck. Found a dealer that was about $400 cheaper than Amp and other Mopar dealers. My buddy has the Amps on his 2021 2500. He has tow mirrors with smaller lights and likes the Amp LED's. They seem a bit purple to me, and my 22 mirrors have much brighter mirror lights, so didn't want/need the extra lights. Being able to move or disable them from the screen is nice too.

TLOC

Reaction score
I installed the AMP steps and like them but they are a bit low and no integration with 12" UC! Damn it! I might try to sell these and get the Mopar but have been considering trading my '19 for a '22 Loaded GT model😎🤙🍻

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Okay, someone must have hacked your account.
Na.. He just made a good point I loved my amp steps... I also love being able to deploy the Mopar boards from the radio. But I think the oem boards would be alot better with the flood/puddle lights shooting down like the aftermarket options have.

Gipraw

Reaction score
AMP has an override toggle you can mount to your dash for manual operation of the steps. It’s $45 bucks or so.

killerformula

Reaction score
Hey folks. I ordered the mopar running boards and installed. Couple of tips:

1. Look online for discounts. I got about 300 bucks off mine by looking around.

2. Don't do what some are doing on these YouTube videos and snaking the wires behind the inner fender wells with them still in place. It takes 3 min to take off the inner fender and you'll ne glad you did..

3. The hardest part is putting the wires through the firewall. I made this easy by taping the wires together with electrical tape such that you stagger where the ends are (don't ball them all up at the end). Also: put a little water or dish soap on the wires and they will PULL RIGHT THROUGH. none of these hours long struggles I have read about.

Other than that the install is very straight forward, follow the instructions and do a clean job you'll be glad you did.

90Addict

Reaction score
Are any of these options better for a truck with a 6in lift? I'm installing lift here in a couple weeks and I know my wife is going to have some trouble with putting our twin girls in their car seats lol. Have the stock Backcountry running boards but I don't think they will help anymore lol

Brunzca

Reaction score
Are any of these options better for a truck with a 6in lift? I'm installing lift here in a couple weeks and I know my wife is going to have some trouble with putting our twin girls in their car seats lol. Have the stock Backcountry running boards but I don't think they will help anymore lol
I had the AMP steps on mine w/ a 6” lift, and they helped (my wife would have complained constantly otherwise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/