5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket lockers

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the Eaton Detroit Trutrac. It works like an open diff until it needs to lock which happens automatically. I haven’t needed to use 4WD auto since installing it.

Eaton made it specifically for the Ram. Google it

View attachment 135918
interesting i wonder if it works for eco diesel and wonder if i could change my front diff also 😂

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s a dumb point to argue and you blew up a valuable thread. Good job.

So stop arguing about it. You made your point and offered the op an option, and move on vs getting into an argument with a mod and other Members.

Especially on a post made over a year ago. And op hasn’t come back to it since

Forum 101ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvigne01

Reaction score
Ram should have made a 1500 version of the power wagon. The power wagon has a rear limited slip with e locker and a front locker. We need that on the 1500. I could live without the sway bar disconnect but it would be nice to have on the 1500. That should be part of the off-road package

bigjeffg

Reaction score
This may not be the best thread to ask this, so I apologize up front. I have always run Locker Front and Rear on my off-road vehicles. Does anyone know if there is any way to upgrade the front differential on the Gen5 Ram 1500? I have seen a reference that the AAM 9.25 Differential from 4th Gen 1500 is a bolt-in upgrade. This differential supports different options for Lockers. Can anyone confirm that this is an option for upgrading?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may not be the best thread to ask this, so I apologize up front. I have always run Locker Front and Rear on my off-road vehicles. Does anyone know if there is any way to upgrade the front differential on the Gen5 Ram 1500? I have seen a reference that the AAM 9.25 Differential from 4th Gen 1500 is a bolt-in upgrade. This differential supports different options for Lockers. Can anyone confirm that this is an option for upgrading?
im also after that didnt know but i have one question now if you have 4auto does it still work ?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked for years on my gen 4 and I never saw that anyone made lockers for the 1500 rear or front. And I have also looked at Gen 5's and you can only get an e-locker for the rear.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Let me be clear, and correct my error. I would run the TrueTrac limited slip for AAM 9.25/Chrysler 9.25" front with 33 spline axles. Not a locker, but a limited slip. In my opinion better for my use case than a selectable locker in the front.

Last edited:

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I would suspect that an upgraded front differential with a limited slip would not be relevant to the transfer case. This assumes the wheel speed censer is retained. The front axle differential method of splitting torque right to left, shouldn’t hamper the transfer case distribution of torque rear to front. If the rear starts to slip, Auto clutches engage to transfer torque to the front differential. How the front differential splits the power shouldn’t be an issue. As long as all 4 wheel speed censers are working correctly I don’t see an issue.

Last edited:

bigjeffg

Reaction score
This may be my only option, if I can’t upgrade to a larger stronger front differential. I would need to ensure it really is compatible with 5th Gen Ram 1500 AAM 8.5 aka 215. This is a helical limited slip, like the Ford Raptor uses in the front end. No clutches, so a much longer service life.

This would work well with my rear selectable locker. Especially if the truck can be tuned to remove the speed limiter on the locker (disengaging at 25 MPH). I want to engage it at higher speeds, like you can on the TRX. Great to have in the Sand Dunes.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may be my only option, if I can’t upgrade to a larger stronger front differential. I would need to ensure it really is compatible with 5th Gen Ram 1500 AAM 8.5 aka 215. This is a helical limited slip, like the Ford Raptor uses in the front end. No clutches, so a much longer service life.

This would work well with my rear selectable locker. Especially if the truck can be tuned to remove the speed limiter on the locker (disengaging at 25 MPH). I want to engage it at higher speeds, like you can on the TRX. Great to have in the Sand Dunes.
Post more info on this when you can. Looks like a great option for me also.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I would be a little concerned about the strength of the 215 Differential to support a TrueTrac. I’m a bit encouraged, that the Engineers chose to keep this bit in the TRX. I’m leaning towards installing the TrueTrac, and seeing if stuff breaks. Would be a good test for the community.

I’m a bit aggressive off road. I would bet, that CV’s will give up before the Ring and pinion. If I upgrade, I will carry a spare CV (or two), and replace on the trail. I would use the CV as my fuze. Easy to fix CV in the field, not so much Ring and Pinion.

Nothing like a bunch of off road enthusiasts fixing a rig after a break down. When you go through mobility school (Army/State Dapertnent) they make you replace bits with you spares, just to get the practice in. I will probably do a dry run replacing my CV’s before I thrash my Ram off road. Good to make sure you know how, and carry all the correct tools.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Hennessey stuff pushes 1700hp thru these and whatever is in the trackhawk.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

hmmm i would like to get a locker like the rear push button one know of any?

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I hevent spent much time looking for lockers for the AAM Chrysler 9.25. I have the OEM selectable locker, so don’t feel a driving need to upgrade.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Post more info on this when you can. Looks like a great option for me also.
I have done more research on this. AAM build both a IFS 8.25 and a solid axle 8.25. Eaton only builds the TrueTrac for the rear end.

But not all hope is lost. I found an engineering note, about reconfiguring a TrueTrac from rear axle to front axle. I have a machine shop looking into this now.

This may take some modification to the Carrier and the TrueTrac, but it may be doable.

The risks:

1, The torque bias ratio of the TrueTrac built for rear ends are different (more aggressive) than front ends. This may cause more CV axle failures. This risk is always present when you add traction devices. Just wanted to call it out

2, this may be a pipe dream, I spend a bunch of money testing, and still can’t make it work. This is starting to feel like an R&D project, but I’m determined.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
hmmm i would like to get a locker like the rear push button one know of any?
Not that I can find. Selectable lockers are really hard on axles. It may be a bridge too far for anyone to build. I think a limited slip would be the best we can hope for.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I can find. Selectable lockers are really hard on axles. It may be a bridge too far for anyone to build. I think a limited slip would be the best we can hope for.
dam just sucks
i only really one want front locker for the sticky situations in snow 😂 and straight i know how stressful it would be on cv axles …. but i guess i always have my winch. i guess
i think more so i wish i could just up the gears front lockers not too important …

bigjeffg

Reaction score
dam just sucks
i only really one want front locker for the sticky situations in snow 😂 and straight i know how stressful it would be on cv axles …. but i guess i always have my winch. i guess
i think more so i wish i could just up the gears front lockers not too important …
I’m working on guidance on how to change gears. I just need to validate in the real world.

We have the Chrysler ZF 215 from AAM. Ram started installing these in 2012 to present. Ram didn’t start installing the problematic one-piece carrier/ring gear assembly until 5th Gen, in 2019.

My working theory is that we can instal a carrier from 2012 to 2018, this carrier will except a variety of gears from Yukon.

Combine this with a limited slip, and we have traction galore. I’m hoping Ram didn’t change the carrier mounting bolt pattern. If they didn’t, we have a path to choosing our preferred gears.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to mention last time RCV axles, but still impressed with Hennessey OEM use. Is a pavement powerbrake auto trans launch as hard as a transbrake? stick trans? or mud/rock bouncing on/off traction? I think the whole 1500 truck frame and suspension mounts and aluminum front diff case may be at the limit with RCV axles. I would be interested in seeing the Torsen limited slip as at least the "fuse", but if people are rock bouncing on WOT, then they should expect stuff to break. Not sure that's in any of our plans.

Other forums have the emoji's of "eating popcorn watching a movie", or "reading a newspaper drinking coffee". Insert those here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread