5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Intakes, just read please.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok peeps....this will be long so... read or not

I’ve seen a lot of threads coming through on CAIs as of late. I’m game to all that’s out there if it gets you more involved with your truck, care for it and your thoughts/experiences even better.

I don’t dare tell people how or what to spend their money on. As this 5thgen site has shown, it’s about information, knowledge, and experience(s) to help others venture in the right track. The does/don’ts if you will. It’s also on peeps perceptions just like exhaust work.....
With that disclaimer out of the way. Lol.... here we go.
So Ill start the gun shots here. Let’s make this the place to shoot each other crazy till we are blue in the face,drink, or other stuff to much and pass out or log out. It’s all perspective folks......but also truthful FACTS please.im sure I’ll get some hates out there. It’s about simple facts and really honest thoughts on what we can do with our awesome trucks.

1)removal of charcoal filter and install of some kind of high flow filter.—— results very from a old member saying great results feels a difference seat of pants & everyone needs to do. To another saying some more intake growl, little more peep but really no change over all noticed. Some others say no noticed change but more growl from engine.
With a mix of mileage improvements.
^^My thoughts—— excellent first, low/no cost mod to do. 5th gen air intake is new set up and like no other previous gens. It has a true sealed cold air intake system. (y)
2)Vanaram, peeps are really liking this set up that have them. Great growl and notice of great level of performance in seat of pants. While others say great growl feel a difference but may just be from engine intake louder. More then not feeling a difference in power of some level It is a huge intake/surface area that draws in cold air from grill area as it’s set up. Mileage gains to be mixed but in the positive side, increased.
^^^ My thoughts—— great engineering and thought. Its system is awesome for 4th gens & previous is spot on. As they didn’t have any kind of cold air intake per say. For 5th gens we have shutters on grill as some previous did and already a cold air intake system which previous didn’t. As they show power increased levels is during drive time which shutters maybe closed assume open. With the fact that the system runs over the condenser and radiator and upper radiator hose. Also is sealed by the hood. Which can/will absorb heat and transfer it. That w
3) AFE another great company that has put themselves on the map of performance products. Again have had peeps here say great growl and seat of pants difference. To great growl and lost performance on low end. To even lost mileage and sluggish off the line. Not necessarily in that order.
^^^My thoughts I’m going to beat them up some.only because I’ve looked so far into them for my own truck
As for their stage 2 intakes. It’s a great build and uses the factory lower intake. so your paying a good amount for a half *** job.....they are using what youhave then not even being a full sealed intake to boot. It’s sealed upper part to the hood. Which will bring higher temps in the hot season. The lower part is not. Which brings me to the dyno issue. If you loos close on the dyno chats it make no sense of a this product and it’s gains.

It’s odd/ no really.....to hear lose performance, yet in dyno and sheets from company it should be that latter.
Look close at afes dyno charts. One says with cold air intake, afe exhaust and wind blade. Will the stock intake had afe exhaust, w/out wind blade way diff months. Just saying.......

Pribilof

Reaction score
CAIs are noise makers only on modern N/A engines. Especially with no tune, all your doing is leaning out the AFR which might give you a couple of extra HP. 5, or even 10, extra hp is just not noticable in a 395 hp / 410 tq truck. Waste of money, IMHO. Same with an exhaust (which I have). Marginal weight savings, louder. Pretty much no performance.

Forced induction engines are a whole other story.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be honest.. If you have no tune I wouldnt get a CAI. Luckily for me I got an amazing deal on the AFE for $190 and it actually made a noticeable difference :) not 24 hp like it advertises, but I at least tested it and I beat my friends rebel which used to run pretty even.
Hopefully Jay Greene comes through soon with his new tunes.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CAIs are noise makers only on modern N/A engines. Especially with no tune, all your doing is leaning out the AFR which might give you a couple of extra HP. 5, or even 10, extra hp is just not noticable in a 395 hp / 410 tq truck. Waste of money, IMHO. Same with an exhaust (which I have). Marginal weight savings, louder. Pretty much no performance.

Forced induction engines are a whole other story.

I agree. I think outside of being louder the actual HP gains are minimal at best. Plus there is always the risk of throwing off the MAF. CAIs have their place in race cars or forced induction but on a truck, especially for a few extra hp? If you’re going to do it, do it because you like the sound and maybe the look in the bay. Personally if you’re doing it for the sound, dollar fo dollar I say do the exhaust, either muffler or catback, because it’s a bigger difference and at least the sound isn’t all up in the engine bay and right into the cabin. That’s my opinion but everyone should enjoy what they enjoy! Do it and post pics!

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be honest.. If you have no tune I wouldnt get a CAI. Luckily for me I got an amazing deal on the AFE for $190 and it actually made a noticeable difference :) not 24 hp like it advertises, but I at least tested it and I beat my friends rebel which used to run pretty even.
Hopefully Jay Greene comes through soon with his new tunes.
Where’s my super awesome deal......

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m all for being more involved with your truck. As I’ve said.... it’s not for me for the price .

But as I slowly make mods. Like removing my exhaust logs for example..... something more efficient headers and that doesn’t break bolts in head(I don’t want to deal with that). Upgraded Y pipe. Again all to better the truck and make more efficient. Which is truly the bottle neck the hemi trucks and previous gens. At that point I can see adding a high efficiency intake system. Hell even a ported TB. Then a tune to maximize, clean A/Fs & everything else up.
Sure I love to cam it also. Or force induction. It’s my DD and bought to enjoy and not be in shop. Still at this time it’s a long haul get my moneys worth out of the truck, not be a money pit. As it was not cheap vehicle.

geotex1

Reaction score
I've had some of the most radically modified, emissions legal, cop-calling, and Friday night quarter mile pickups - my favorites were my twin turboed '95 S10 and my blown and stroked '98 K1500. My Cummings has been tuned as well for working performance.

However, my best performance advice, buy yourself a nice pre-emissions truck and build it as bad as you want! That's where everything you spend will really equal performance! Sitting now at this age with toys in the garage, my perspective is different from when I wanted everything to go fast...

Now, if your pockets have cash spilling out if them, first I want you to be my new friend, and second a liftgate truck will be happy to deliver the heart of a Hellcat to your garage! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread