5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Exhaust - No Drone even in MDS?

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Any exhaust kits (muffler deletes, with or w/o resonators) that don’t drone even in MDS? Looking for something moderate with zero drone that will drive my OCD crazy. Neighbors, girlfriend, etc, prevent a proper growling hemi, thus moderate need. Borla S type seems like what I want, but have seen some complaints about MDS drone.

Purchased a 2021 Hemi eTorque last Friday. I’ve searched and read what seems like 100’s of exhaust threads.

I’m gun-shy as had a Dodge Charger 1st gen V6 many years ago, and went with the Mopar cat back, which still had the drone. The whole point to go with Mopar was not to drone, else I’d have chosen something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Borla line of cat-back is your best bet. They offer a line of exhaust for the Hemi RAM in several sound levels, all of them including the loudest is not suppose to drone while in MDS.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Was thinking the Borla S, but saw someone mention a MDS drone. Too many threads rattling around to think of who.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Was thinking the Borla S, but saw someone mention a MDS drone. Too many threads rattling around to think of who.

There is also varying opinion on what is "drone", that's the problem, you are going to have to take a leap of faith and buy a system and risk it being not what you wanted.

Check as many threads as you can regarding these exhaust system and hope for the best. The thing about full exhaust systems is they are pricey compared to just a muffler change, so getting it wrong will be rather painful, though hopefully you can recoup most your cost by selling it and then trying again.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Corsa and AWE also offer no-drone systems. Corsa in particular has a reputation for no drone. I know it's true for my Vette. Personally, the Borla system I had on my Chevrolet droned. But they get great reviews on the Rams.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have the Carven cat back. No drone

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Have Corsa on both the Ram and her Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 and no drone and no sound change when mds kicks in. The Jeep is even true duals with an X-pipe. Had Mbrp on my ‘16 rbsc and mds was very noticeable.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's really subjective. I have the Borla PROXS 40353 and the drone is barely noticeable. I didn't remove the rear resonators though.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Borla S-Type cat back has zero drown in all conditions

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is also varying opinion on what is "drone", that's the problem, you are going to have to take a leap of faith and buy a system and risk it being not what you wanted.

Check as many threads as you can regarding these exhaust system and hope for the best. The thing about full exhaust systems is they are pricey compared to just a muffler change, so getting it wrong will be rather painful, though hopefully you can recoup most your cost by selling it and then trying again.
This is the best response so far. Sound is subjective, so what seems to have no drone to one person could be annoying to another. This is what has been keeping me from upgrading my exhaust. The wife wanted the B2 Fabrications aggressive round muffler so I installed one on her truck. She loves it and said she doesn't hear any droning. It drives me nuts at highway speeds so we almost always just take my truck now. There will always be a risk that you won't like any exhaust system, unless you can physically hear it for yourself before you buy it.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
This is the best response so far. Sound is subjective, so what seems to have no drone to one person could be annoying to another. This is what has been keeping me from upgrading my exhaust. The wife wanted the B2 Fabrications aggressive round muffler so I installed one on her truck. She loves it and said she doesn't hear any droning. It drives me nuts at highway speeds so we almost always just take my truck now. There will always be a risk that you won't like any exhaust system, unless you can physically hear it for yourself before you buy it.
go to Borla website they have videos of what you can expect and comparison of stock vs all three options

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
When I bought my 2006 Charger R/T Daytona, it had headers and straight pipes. The MDS drove me crazy droning high then low, high then low. My solution was to replace the straight pipes with a set of better shorty headers and the stock dual exhaust off of another R/T. Then I removed the mid-suitcase muffler, but left the cats and the two resonators at the end in front of the exhaust tips. The result was an aggressive sound and absolutely no drone. And I cannot hear the MDS kick in and out anymore.

If I was going to do a custom exhaust on our new Laramie, I would do something similar. I would run true duals from the cats with no mid-muffler and then put resonators right before the tips. As a test, I would likely try a pair resonators off a salvage Charger R/T just to make sure I get a similar sound with no drone. And if good, I'd get some new similar aftermarket resonators.

Putting resonators at the end does seem to effectively kill the drone on a Charger R/T with a 5.7 Hemi very similar to our Ram trucks. So it should do the same thing to kill the drone for the Ram.

Daytona14June2017_7.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
go to Borla website they have videos of what you can expect and comparison of stock vs all three options
Thanks for pointing that out, and I've watched that video. But it doesn't give you an example of what it will sound like from inside the vehicle at highway speeds, windows up. Which is when most drone occurs. I'm not as interested in how it sounds from outside the truck, although it does put a smile on my face when remote starting a vehicle with a nice exhaust system :)

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Drone" is 100% subjective. I have a Borla S-Type and around 1600-1800 rpm with MDS on there is a slight drone. When I say slight, I mean it's not noticeable unless you actively listen for it. I don't notice it nowadays (I'm also an OCD-type when it comes to noises) and my wife has never noticed it. Same goes for my brother.

With that said I am 100% satisfied with my exhaust. It's about as close to "no drone" as you can get without being stock IMO.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The videos don't really give a great idea of what they actually sound like in-person. I was (pleasantly) surprised when my S-Type turned out to me much louder than what the videos gave the impression of.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, and I've watched that video. But it doesn't give you an example of what it will sound like from inside the vehicle at highway speeds, windows up. Which is when most drone occurs. I'm not as interested in how it sounds from outside the truck, although it does put a smile on my face when remote starting a vehicle with a nice exhaust system :)
windows up on highway you do not hear anything. windows down upon accelerating you hear the rumble. Zero drone with cat back system

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Look at SOLO Performance, I have the QR300 on my Rebel and no drone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/