5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket bumper skid Plate

Boyter

Reaction score
In an ideal world, thats what I would have liked but even if you could fabricate support behind it, any small impact would fold the thin tin round the supports leaving it looking like a rippled ugly mess. I also gained about 2" of clearance at the front.

I managed to bend the 8mm alloy skid plate on my old truck more than once. Sand over a large area doesn't move that much so with a 3ton truck pushing on it things bend quickly!

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
No, Saluki. They have plenty of offroad racing experience with trucks and buggies and I trust their work. (Having seen it in action) The guys are good to work with and understood what I wanted.

And yey! another Dubai member!
Hi, I live in Abu Dhabi also have a 2019 Ram Rebel. Dented in the skid plate last week in the desert. Not cresting a dune but just knocking a small mound that had the entire desert behind it. Was looking at ADD for their stealth bumper but will be $2k + $1k shipping and I lose my fog lights and will need to fill the gaps with stupid looking light bars not keen. All I need is a good skid plate that connects to the LCAs...pretty much what you did. Will tey and find this guy in Dubai to get the same thing done to mine! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bro this is fire! Lol they really should have some off the shelf product like this but don't see it coming... Rams always get left out in the offroad world...
Anyways, what made u switch over from a raptor to a Ram? Let me guess. Interior? I was going to pull the trigger on a 2019 raptor myself but couldn't justify paying $10k+ for a truck with a v6.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Bro this is fire! Lol they really should have some off the shelf product like this but don't see it coming... Rams always get left out in the offroad world...
Anyways, what made u switch over from a raptor to a Ram? Let me guess. Interior? I was going to pull the trigger on a 2019 raptor myself but couldn't justify paying $10k+ for a truck with a v6.
I’m hoping to change that. I’m prototyping some parts now. I’ll start with 5th gen 1500s and branch out from there.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Progress so far. There is a huge space to fill so better to have too much bracing than not enough. New tow eyes will be bolted in the same location as OEM but higher and will protrude from the front holes of the skid plate.

How much weight did it add to the front end once the skid plate was installed?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
@Shifts And Grins Fab It's been 20 months since you said you were prototyping parts. How much progress have you made with this? Can we expect something soon?
As things go, the list of parts to design and build is very long. Things get moved around on said list based on what makes the most sense for our customers and us at the time. We played with a few different designs early on. We didn't like anything we came up with for production purposes. We sold our Rebel (traded it for a TRX actually) and are now at the mercy of borrowing one from a customer. We have several things going right now including trying to find a design for this that makes sense. If you or someone you know is in Arizona or Southern California, send us a message and we will see if we can jump this up on the list again. There have been a few things thrown around and some are easier than others and some are easier said than done. Covering the front area between the bumper and radiator is much easier than covering than entire area to the cross member. As said before, going all of the way from the bumper to the crossmember would require many different designs for different trim levels, lift heights, etc. I hope that makes sense. We are a small business and doing what we can to provide as much as possible to the Ram community. As we continue to grow it becomes easier to bring products to market but we are still a small business and working hard design and offer new products for you all. Again, if any of you are in Arizona or Southern California, I'd love to chat and see if we can make something work. My main local Rebel customer is moving to Arkansas so I would have his truck available soon. We are also interested in getting other 5th gen 1500 trucks (Limited, Laramie, Big Horn) on standby for T&E. So the long answer to your question is; it depends on when we can use a truck to move forward with new ideas and possible a vehicle scan to make the design process easier.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As things go, the list of parts to design and build is very long. Things get moved around on said list based on what makes the most sense for our customers and us at the time. We played with a few different designs early on. We didn't like anything we came up with for production purposes. We sold our Rebel (traded it for a TRX actually) and are now at the mercy of borrowing one from a customer. We have several things going right now including trying to find a design for this that makes sense. If you or someone you know is in Arizona or Southern California, send us a message and we will see if we can jump this up on the list again. There have been a few things thrown around and some are easier than others and some are easier said than done. Covering the front area between the bumper and radiator is much easier than covering than entire area to the cross member. As said before, going all of the way from the bumper to the crossmember would require many different designs for different trim levels, lift heights, etc. I hope that makes sense. We are a small business and doing what we can to provide as much as possible to the Ram community. As we continue to grow it becomes easier to bring products to market but we are still a small business and working hard design and offer new products for you all. Again, if any of you are in Arizona or Southern California, I'd love to chat and see if we can make something work. My main local Rebel customer is moving to Arkansas so I would have his truck available soon. We are also interested in getting other 5th gen 1500 trucks (Limited, Laramie, Big Horn) on standby for T&E. So the long answer to your question is; it depends on when we can use a truck to move forward with new ideas and possible a vehicle scan to make the design process easier.
Thanks for the update. I was thinking the same thing about the differences between the different models. I'm not interested in a part for a Rebel, it's for a Limited which has had both front air dams removed. The area between the bumper and front cross-member is cavernous. What I'm more interested in would be more of a debris shield than a skid plate anyway. I was just curious to see if you were close on something.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I was thinking the same thing about the differences between the different models. I'm not interested in a part for a Rebel, it's for a Limited which has had both front air dams removed. The area between the bumper and front cross-member is cavernous. What I'm more interested in would be more of a debris shield than a skid plate anyway. I was just curious to see if you were close on something.
The area between the bumper and radiator will likely be easier. I'd like to offer lighter weight aluminum for good protection. I think we may have to just bite the bullet and design a few different options which really sucks for logistics on our end. If the limited, laramie and bighorn could all be one design it would help tremendously though. I get very few trucks in that aren't TRXs or Rebels (almost everything we do is online as well. We do installs and custom work on a case by case basis) so if any of you are local to us with other trim lines we'd love to chat with you to work something out.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't actually need anything quite up to "skid plate" strength, I'm not planning on any rock-crawling. I'm thinking more in terms of "debris shield", if that makes sense.

I've noticed some unused holes in the back of the frame legs that hold the AAD, and in the K-member. :unsure: So, I had an Erector set when I was young, and it looks to me like a few lengths of angle and a sheet of that diamond expanded metal stuff might bolt together to make good enough protection from random chaff that bounces up from road or trail.

The weather's starting to turn cooler, so I probably won't embark on that kind of project anymore this year, I might feel more handy in the Spring...

Users who are viewing this thread