5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket bed lighting

TripleB

Reaction score
Playing around with the idea of bed lighting that has a micro switch on the tail gate. So far not much luck finding something. Like to think i could get power from tail lights. Not really sure yet.

Anyone done something similar?

Thanks.

CJ99X

Reaction score
If you have the towing package there is constant 12V source at the tow package wiring. I would probably get one of those wiring T harnesses to keep from cutting up the factory harness however.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Playing around with the idea of bed lighting that has a micro switch on the tail gate. So far not much luck finding something. Like to think i could get power from tail lights. Not really sure yet.

Anyone done something similar?

Thanks.
Didn't your Limited come with pick-up box lighting? Mine did. If so, then couldn't you use the switch that's already there?

TripleB

Reaction score
Didn't your Limited come with pick-up box lighting? Mine did. If so, then couldn't you use the switch that's already there?
Mine does not have cargo trim package and still had a msrp of $77k. It does have the tow package.

I guess the the constant 12 volts is near the hitch. Need to find it

Last edited:

Loudram

Reaction score
I installed bed lighting but I took the feed all the way to the battery. Now I have a constant power source the entire length of my truck without splicing into any harness. If you are going to tap into the trailer wiring, that T connector is the way to go.

I installed a pushbutton switch on the inside of the bed. The wires exit out the side not the back so it's perfect for this install.

20221118_164550.jpg 20221118_164553.jpg 20221230_120048.jpg

TripleB

Reaction score
thanks I understand what a T connector is but i guess there is not a specific recommended source? Just need one that is the correct gauge?

I watch a video on installing the ram OEM lights, which is what I think I would prefer, but the video included taking out the wheel wells to run the power cable just right I don’t really feel like doing all that.

I like what you have. A pushbutton would be fine.

TripleB

Reaction score
This light gets good review as quality made.

Attachments

• IMG_3590.png
    IMG_3590.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 16

Loudram

Reaction score
thanks I understand what a T connector is but i guess there is not a specific recommended source? Just need one that is the correct gauge?
This is the one you want. It gets plugged in behind your bumper.
CURT 55384 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness, Black, 6 x 3 x 9 inches https://a.co/d/3GO6SKH

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's ridiculous that bed lighting isn't standard even on a Limited, and you have to get the BUG to get it. My 2015 Big Horn it was standard.

TripleB

Reaction score
This is the one you want. It gets plugged in behind your bumper.
CURT 55384 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness, Black, 6 x 3 x 9 inches https://a.co/d/3GO6SKH
Thank you. Someone mentioned there is a constant 12 volts on tow wiring.

I’ve maybe plugged in a trailer twice in my life. So not super familiar. Actually do not ever plan to tow anything with this truck

But this harness appears to have two multi pin round connectors and the multi pin flat connector.

Trying to envision what connects where with this.

When you say this is what I need to order is that to connect any type of lights that I could find or are you thinking the OEM light?

I ordered it.

I found this set of lights that are supposed to be brighter than OEM that might be good.

Not sure yet if they turn on and off by pressing on one of them. I think oem ones do.

I’m not sure how elaborate I wanna get with running the lights because my bed has the bed rug in it

I’m thinking using the oem light cut out would probably be the most simple.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3593.png
    IMG_3593.png
    378.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Loudram

Reaction score
Thank you. Someone mentioned there is a constant 12 volts on tow wiring.

I’ve maybe plugged in a trailer twice in my life. So not super familiar. Actually do not ever plan to tow anything with this truck

But this harness appears to have two multi pin round connectors and the multi pin flat connector.

Trying to envision what connects where with this.

When you say this is what I need to order is that to connect any type of lights that I could find or are you thinking the OEM light?

I ordered it.

I found this set of lights that are supposed to be brighter than OEM that might be good.

Not sure yet if they turn on and off by pressing on one of them. I think oem ones do.

I’m not sure how elaborate I wanna get with running the lights because my bed has the bed rug in it

I’m thinking using the oem light cut out would probably be the most simple.

Thanks
The two round connectors go inline with the connections behind the bumper. With that you can just splice into that harness without touching the factory harness. The 4 flat itself is right and left turn signals, taillights, and ground.

The smart move would be to add a power tap with a wire into the harness before you install it. It'll make it much easier. You'll just need a wiring diagram which is conveniently located on the cover of your trailer hookup.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the link to a 7 wire Curt harness. Hopkins also make one.
This harness gives you 7 wires. This enables an accessory that will be on when the vehicle is off. I have my bed lights (after market, LED, cheap, Amazon) hooked up to this wire. I have yet to add a timer (avoid draining the battery if left on) but have not left them on either.

TripleB

Reaction score
The two round connectors go inline with the connections behind the bumper. With that you can just splice into that harness without touching the factory harness. The 4 flat itself is right and left turn signals, taillights, and ground.

The smart move would be to add a power tap with a wire into the harness before you install it. It'll make it much easier. You'll just need a wiring diagram which is conveniently located on the cover of your trailer hookup.
Thanks again for directing me to this harness. But i did have to re read it because for some reason i thought there would be constant 12 volts on the flat connector.

Now i realize that is not the case.

Just have to splice into the round connector harness on the correct pin wire.

My motivation is not to run a oem or other wire all the way to the battery if not needed.

The Linex tech even mentioned a strip light that runs on battery that i may consider.

I think i would prefer wired power but there is a chance i will forget to push the switch.

So then its maybe a micro switch that opens when the tail gate is closed.

We will see. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread