5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After market remote start.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did anybody installed after market security system with remote start? If so what brand are you guys use?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What!!!!, nobody done this? Looking to get Viper SmartStart Remote Start + Security System.

RickWaz

Reaction score
That surprises me as well! It looks like the Viper 5906V is generally getting very good reviews, but I'm still researching models/makes. I've had security systems/alarms on a couple vehicles, MANY years ago, but not recently. So I'm in the market for one, for my 2020 Limited for some added peace-of mind.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, all my previous cars had remote start but this time i want to go Smartstart/ LTE remote start (whatever name each brand call), so just want to see what peps running before i drop some green to get it done.

Yenta

Reaction score
I too am interested in a after market remote start. I live in North Dakota when it is not unusual to see -30F during the winter and with my factory remote that has maybe a 50 ft range at best, I could just as well go outside to start it!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed a Start-X remote start last year (my wife bought it for me as an early Christmas present). Not a hard diy if you aren't afraid of tapping into the tiny factory wiring. It has worked flawlessy, which really surprised me for the price ($160 from Amazon). It doesn't add any security like the Viper, but it did allow me to use my factory remote, so a big win there!

Cristyan

Reaction score
I installed a Start-X remote start last year (my wife bought it for me as an early Christmas present). Not a hard diy if you aren't afraid of tapping into the tiny factory wiring. It has worked flawlessy, which really surprised me for the price ($160 from Amazon). It doesn't add any security like the Viper, but it did allow me to use my factory remote, so a big win there!
Hi there! I noticed your post from June 2021, about installing the Start-X remote start, and I was curious to know how it's been working for you since then. Has it continued to perform flawlessly, and have you encountered any new insights or experiences with it? I'm considering getting one myself, and I'd appreciate any updated feedback you can share. Thanks!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Hi there! I noticed your post from June 2021, about installing the Start-X remote start, and I was curious to know how it's been working for you since then. Has it continued to perform flawlessly, and have you encountered any new insights or experiences with it? I'm considering getting one myself, and I'd appreciate any updated feedback you can share. Thanks!
I no longer have that truck, I traded it in over a year ago. The start-X worked fine the entire time I owned the truck though, I would highly recommend it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have the factory remote in my Ram. It will start 3 floors up in a concrete building. I did have a plug and play Start X from Amazon on my 2020 Jeep Rubicon though. Simple install and it worked great. On the Jeep there was no splicing or anything, straight plug connectors.

golfishard

Reaction score
I also have the Start-X and I also installed the CL6 telematics module. For the most part it works well but after installing an aftermarket shock sensor from addashocksensor I have been having intermittent issues where the vehicle remote starts and then immediately shuts down. Trying to work with the Start X CS (which is highly responsive and great so far) but its hard to diag since its so intermittent. Might have something to do with the shock sensor and how it works and triggering something in the BCM telling the car not to start. Will update if we figure it out.

FYI the initial diag was to check the connection to the ignition wire. It did come a bit loose so I rewrapped and ziptied the connection after applying electrical tape. The connection had come a bit loose.

Cristyan

Reaction score
Appreciating your feedbacks, everyone!

When it comes to the truck manufacturer's warranty, will it be affected in any manner if I install it myself?

6of36

Reaction score

When it comes to the truck manufacturer's warranty, will it be affected in any manner if I install it myself?
Warranty will not be effected, except wires you modify.

HemiDude

Reaction score

As long as you don't damage any wires or connectors, you shouldn't have any warranty concerns.

Cristyan

Reaction score
Do you guys remember how the climate settings works with Start-X? I mean, according to other threads here and the owner's manual, when equipped, there is an option in Uconnect named "auto" under climate control. When activated, it will enable the vehicle comfort system when remote started. However, as my truck doesn't have remote start, I don't have this option in my Uconnect. I'm wondering if there is a way to program this option in my Uconnect.

In short, with the Start-X, what's the procedure to have the cabin warm after a remote start? Do I simply keep the AC on a certain temperature before shutting the truck off? Also, is there any way to have heated seats, a heated steering wheel, and rear defrost on?

6of36

Reaction score
Do you guys remember how the climate settings works with Start-X? I mean, according to other threads here and the owner's manual, when equipped, there is an option in Uconnect named "auto" under climate control. When activated, it will enable the vehicle comfort system when remote started. However, as my truck doesn't have remote start, I don't have this option in my Uconnect. I'm wondering if there is a way to program this option in my Uconnect.

In short, with the Start-X, what's the procedure to have the cabin warm after a remote start? Do I simply keep the AC on a certain temperature before shutting the truck off? Also, is there any way to have heated seats, a heated steering wheel, and rear defrost on?
I can't believe they still sell vehicles without remote start. I haven't had one in 25 years. Unless you get a system with a bunch of added relays, and butcher your wiring, no, it can't be done.

Cristyan

Reaction score
The Start-X module arrived this afternoon and is already installed and running!

It's definitely not a 15-minute installation, especially for someone doing it for the first time with basic mechanical experience. It took me about 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes for the entire process. The first steps, including installing the T-harness and connecting it to the green CAN junction, were straightforward and fast, as I anticipated. However, when it came to the ignition wire tap, things got a bit more complicated. It's difficult to access it and demands essentially a one-handed job to strip the wire and make the connection. Nevertheless, I successfully made the connection.

Regarding the computer programming step, it didn't work on the first attempt. I installed the software on a Windows 11 laptop, which didn't have a USB-A port to directly connect to the USB programming device. This required me to use a USB-A to C adapter. I'm not sure if this was the reason, but the software didn't complete the module configuration process. Afterward, I tried installing the software on an old MacBook I have, and it worked well!

Actually, when I tried to remote start the first 2 or 3 times, it didn't work. I think it was because I pressed the button 3 times too quickly. After that, I repeated the process more slowly, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again everyone for sharing and contributing to this! @HemiDude @Mountain Whiskey @golfishard @6of36

golfishard

Reaction score
The Start-X module arrived this afternoon and is already installed and running!

It's definitely not a 15-minute installation, especially for someone doing it for the first time with basic mechanical experience. It took me about 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes for the entire process. The first steps, including installing the T-harness and connecting it to the green CAN junction, were straightforward and fast, as I anticipated. However, when it came to the ignition wire tap, things got a bit more complicated. It's difficult to access it and demands essentially a one-handed job to strip the wire and make the connection. Nevertheless, I successfully made the connection.

Regarding the computer programming step, it didn't work on the first attempt. I installed the software on a Windows 11 laptop, which didn't have a USB-A port to directly connect to the USB programming device. This required me to use a USB-A to C adapter. I'm not sure if this was the reason, but the software didn't complete the module configuration process. Afterward, I tried installing the software on an old MacBook I have, and it worked well!

Actually, when I tried to remote start the first 2 or 3 times, it didn't work. I think it was because I pressed the button 3 times too quickly. After that, I repeated the process more slowly, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again everyone for sharing and contributing to this! @HemiDude @Mountain Whiskey @golfishard @6of36
Lol yes I had some issues with programming but just kept at it. Glad you got it running.

Users who are viewing this thread