5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Market Off Road Package

ballgame168

Reaction score
I am looking at a factory order for a Limited that includes the off-road package which I want. However, there is a vehicle at a local dealership that hits all my specs except for eTorque (the more I read, the more I figure I may be able to do without this since I don't really tow) and the mileage bump doesn't appear all that significant) and the off-road package. Is it possible to add the ORP after-market or try to negotiate with the dealer to order and install that for me for the quoted price ($795)? Or does that need to come from the factory and I am out of luck?

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I am looking at a factory order for a Limited that includes the off-road package which I want. However, there is a vehicle at a local dealership that hits all my specs except for eTorque (the more I read, the more I figure I may be able to do without this since I don't really tow) and the mileage bump doesn't appear all that significant) and the off-road package. Is it possible to add the ORP after-market or try to negotiate with the dealer to order and install that for me for the quoted price ($795)? Or does that need to come from the factory and I am out of luck?
As far as the protection group, Skid plates, etc. you can do them yourself. Adding E-Lock is a different story, would depend on the rear end set up, maybe they could, never checked myself. I would ask the dealership Service manager.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That has to come from the factory as there are a few things involved like Gearing, E-Locker, Hill Descent Control, 1” Higher Suspension (longer springs and different shocks), Tow Hooks, Rims / Tires, and Skid Plates. Oh, don’t forget the fancy sticker. ;)

I think ther better question is, what do you want from the Off Road Package? If you are just looking for the height, that 1” doesn’t get you much. You can go up 1” higher in tire compared to Non-ORP but most people want to go more so you’ll be adding to it anyways.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can configure almost all of the ORP without it. The items you cannot get any other way are Hill Descent Control, HD shocks, and the full-size spare (I think). Of those, HDC is the only one very difficult to add later.
If you can live without HDC, you can add the others with varying degrees of difficulty. I'd just evaluate all of the ORP items and figure out which ones you must have. If it adds up, then I'd custom order to get what you want.

ballgame168

Reaction score
That has to come from the factory as there are a few things involved like Gearing, E-Locker, Hill Descent Control, 1” Higher Suspension (longer springs and different shocks), Tow Hooks, Rims / Tires, and Skid Plates. Oh, don’t forget the fancy sticker. ;)

I think ther better question is, what do you want from the Off Road Package? If you are just looking for the height, that 1” doesn’t get you much. You can go up 1” higher in tire compared to Non-ORP but most people want to go more so you’ll be adding to it anyways.

Can you lift the Limited with air suspension? Sorry - new to what can be done to mod trucks.

ballgame168

Reaction score
As far as the protection group, Skid plates, etc. you can do them yourself. Adding E-Lock is a different story, would depend on the rear end set up, maybe they could, never checked myself. I would ask the dealership Service manager.

Now that I am thinking about it, the vehicle has the anti-spin rear axle differential which I don't think is compatible with E-Lock anyway, which may negate being able to add the package. I think it was one or the other.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that the best route might be to buy the stickers. Your intended use of the truck would dictate if the options would be of ultimate benefit given the added weight. The ORP is one of the better deals among the packages, but most who get the package don’t really use it. On my Gen IV, which was a farm truck, I never once wished for the options that come with the package, the truck was capable on and off road. Thus, on my current truck, I did not click that option, as the weight of the option was not one I needed.

Ultimately, wait for the truck you will be happy with for the long run. I would also have the dealer show you the air suspension in its higher position. It might be enough for you.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you lift the Limited with air suspension? Sorry - new to what can be done to mod trucks.

At this time there is no lift kit for air ride that will maintain the factory spec and keep you under warranty.

People have been swapping out the leveling link for the lift sensor to trick the system but this could affect ride quality and run the risk of damaging the sensor. Others have done this and are happy with it so it’s up to you.

Adding the ORP later could be expensive. I’ve been told by my parts guy that it would require new air bag struts, compressor and programming the pcm. But even he doesn’t know for sure since no one has really done this yet.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ORG. Its not worth it. 1in is nothing and you dont even notice it. Skid plates are cool but I would imagine its ruing my MPG. I am getting 13.4 mpg currently. I doubt I will ever use the e-locker. Sticker looks cool lol. Tires are nothing special either they barely even look "rugged."

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ORG. Its not worth it. 1in is nothing and you dont even notice it. Skid plates are cool but I would imagine its ruing my MPG. I am getting 13.4 mpg currently. I doubt I will ever use the e-locker. Sticker looks cool lol. Tires are nothing special either they barely even look "rugged."
Good words from one who knows. If the ORP didn’t have the 4x4 sticker, very few would click that option. That’s why RAM includes the sticker with the package. For those who need the protection and features, it’s a bargain, but one that comes with a steep MPG price on the highway.

ballgame168

Reaction score
So realistically, how big of an impact on MPG will the ORG package have? Literally just ordered it on a Limited non eTorque and second guessing myself now.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That depends. If you delete the ORP, but get 3.92 gears, the answer is minimal—just the weight might be .25 mpg or less. Weight impacts city driving more than highway. If you get 3.21s, you can expect a 1 to 2 mpg gain. It all adds up over the long run. Also consider what the truck is used for. I have to haul seed each spring, and the added weight really impacts hauling capacity (see the door sticker thread).

Lakewake

Reaction score
Good words from one who knows. If the ORP didn’t have the 4x4 sticker, very few would click that option. That’s why RAM includes the sticker with the package. For those who need the protection and features, it’s a bargain, but one that comes with a steep MPG price on the highway.
Yes, that's what I learned with the Z71 ORP, add the 6.2 and its a MPG nightmare. I already have 2 compliments about no decal on the side.

Last edited:

ballgame168

Reaction score
So I got the ORP with 3.92. What am I looking at. Should I switch from 3.92 to 3.21? Just placed order last night so still have time to change. Would like to keep the ORP if possible.

Lakewake

Reaction score
So I got the ORP with 3.92. What am I looking at. Should I switch from 3.92 to 3.21? Just placed order last night so still have time to change. Would like to keep the ORP if possible.
I test drove both, and ordered the 3.92. Just seemed more responsive.

ballgame168

Reaction score
Want to keep .ORG but maximize MPG. Suggestions? At 3.21 what do you think MPG will look like with non eTorque? At 3.92?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Want to keep .ORG but maximize MPG. Suggestions? At 3.21 what do you think MPG will look like with non eTorque? At 3.92?

I don’t think you would see much of a difference using the same driving habits. If you have any thoughts of larger tires or towing, stick with the 3.92.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh and FWIW, Ram screwed up only offering 32” tires for the ORG. They put 33’s on the Rebel (same suspension height) and they look good. The 32s look too small for the suspension.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
for myself, the e-locker will not be used all too often - but living up here in canada, i can't tell you how many times i have driven over a snow covered job site, ran over something i couldn't see, and hit the underside of my truck. (rocks-lumber etc.) under carriage protection will be an asset.

Users who are viewing this thread