5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afe Headers.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that making real power gains on this 5.7 is a rabbit hole. I like those headers. I don't think I would use that exhaust. I'd just have a 3" made at my speed shop so I can pick and choose my muffler... Probably a Borla or a flowmaster...

Let me just get this straight to make sure im understanding you correctly. Are you actually saying its not possible to make any power gains with the 5.7 or are you saying that the headers in the original post wont make the claimed power output. PLEASE clarify.

Rob3989

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but thanks for the input.

Not really a previous post commented on the exhaust system and headers are part of exhaust. Zero point in doing headers if you aren’t going to do the full exhaust.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WARRANTY????

Seriously... talk to local guys about your local dealership. There is a service advisor at every dealership that will look the other way, you may have to tip them but they can make it happen. Ive had LTs and tuning on my all my gas vehicles and my diesels have all been deleted. And yes, patiently waiting on ARH LTs to be made and Diablo to take care of the tuning.
I’m disagreeing with you on this said. I’m sure that situation is possible and happens more then most know. To clarify I’m not speaking all truck warranty stuff.
I do have a hard time seeing a major component failure and there will be heads turned the other way. As fca could get involved at actual truck/dealer or more evidence to be given. Either way if it’s kicked back from them the dealer eats it. Someone will be responsible for that action.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
I’m disagreeing with you on this said. I’m sure that situation is possible and happens more then most know. To clarify I’m not speaking all truck warranty stuff.

I do have a hard time seeing a major component failure and there will be heads turned the other way. As fca could get involved at actual truck/dealer or more evidence to be given. Either way if it’s kicked back from them the dealer eats it. Someone will be responsible for that action.

So you being a "Legendary Member" i dont want to argue with you too much and get in trouble BUT.... on my 2014 Ram 1500 i had a piston failure and the motor had to be replaced. I had to go to the dealership and install the stock air intake, stock exhaust manifolds, and remove the tuner from the truck so they could have a fca rep come by and look at the truck to ok the repair.

Id say a motor replacement is a major component failure....or at least in my opinion but im not Legendary

Your in San Antonio, so your not too far if you ever need any help with said matter let me know and i can get you in contact.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way those "headers" give that much of a gain. Short tube headers are a waste of money and won't provide much of anything over stock.
This rings true. I don’t have enough Ram knowledge to make that claim, but I know this was true for my old GMC, i.e. the stock exhaust flowed as well as any short-tube headers. I also think the baseline power and torque curves on those graphs look exceptionally smooth.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you being a "Legendary Member" i dont want to argue with you too much and get in trouble BUT.... on my 2014 Ram 1500 i had a piston failure and the motor had to be replaced. I had to go to the dealership and install the stock air intake, stock exhaust manifolds, and remove the tuner from the truck so they could have a fca rep come by and look at the truck to ok the repair.

Id say a motor replacement is a major component failure....or at least in my opinion but im not Legendary

Your in San Antonio, so your not too far if you ever need any help with said matter let me know and i can get you in contact.

So you either got lucky, or know people who turned the other way when you removed your modifications in order to lie to FCA about the cause of the mechanical component failure they paid for. Unless you're saying the piston failed for some other reason, and in that case, it would be up to FCA to prove your modifications did cause the failure, which you did not give them the opportunity to do.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
So you either got lucky, or know people who turned the other way when you removed your modifications in order to lie to FCA about the cause of the mechanical component failure they paid for. Unless you're saying the piston failed for some other reason, and in that case, it would be up to FCA to prove your modifications did cause the failure, which you did not give them the opportunity to do.

That was my comment in which Nails replied to. Yes, i know someone at the dealership. Every dealership has someone who will look the other way. Im in the Houston area and there are a lot of dealers to choose from and i know of a few with such said people. With that being said, i was told the piston failure as well as cam failures are common on the 4th gens. BUT with my mods installed the fca rep would blame it on the mods and deny the claim. So with that being said and the fact it was a common failure on the trucks modified or stock should i have footed the bill because mine was modified?? Please tell me you would have left yours modified in this situation and just paid for a new motor out of your own pocket.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Where is your dealer located? I’m in Dallas.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said
I had to go to the dealership and install the stock air intake, stock exhaust manifolds, and remove the tuner from the truck so they could have a fca rep come by and look at the truck to ok the repair.

What you didn't specify, was whether or not the dealership determined if the mods were the cause of the failure. Were they?

Every dealership has someone who will look the other way.

That's a very broad assumption. And someone "looking the other way" is different from the dealer going "hey, I know your mods didn't cause this, but to make it easier, we need you to remove your aftermarket parts"

Please tell me you would have left yours modified in this situation and just paid for a new motor out of your own pocket.

It's situational. If I knew my mods smoked a piston, I wouldn't even be at the dealership unless I was ordering new parts. You haven't specified what your situation was, all you've done is boast about knowing people at the dealer and implied that anyone can get away with screwing over FCA if they need to. That mentality is not one I agree with, because it's passing your burden onto a corporation that will eventually pass it back to the consumer indirectly. When their costs go up needlessly, so do mine, and I don't like that.

There is a service advisor at every dealership that will look the other way, you may have to tip them but they can make it happen.

And by the way, this is called bribery. (Or lobbying if you're involved in government...)

Last edited:

SupremeWill

Reaction score
So one time many moons ago i had a warranty completely voided at a dealership because i had an AFE CAI on my truck. The vehicle was at the dealer because the transmission was slipping. I was out of town on a family vacation. I had to pony up the money for the tow bill and a new transmission because the dealership said the CAI caused the problem. The truck had 34K miles. Sure i could have fought it and maybe eventually won, but in order to get my family back home i had to come out of pocket for the repairs and then deal with having a voided warranty. So my morals when it comes to dealerships got a wee bit jaded after that. But i respect the fact that you are such an honest upstanding individual.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Let me just get this straight to make sure im understanding you correctly. Are you actually saying its not possible to make any power gains with the 5.7 or are you saying that the headers in the original post wont make the claimed power output. PLEASE clarify.
No, of you could make tremendous power with the 5.7...just saying the short tube headers won't add all that much. I love the 5.7!

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Oh, Ok....i completely agree. And yes, you can make some impressive power with these trucks. My buddy Matt was knocking down a 12.39 1/4 mile with just bolt ons and drag radials.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So one time many moons ago i had a warranty completely voided at a dealership because i had an AFE CAI on my truck.

This is illegal on a federal level. There's no such thing as voiding a warranty, in any capacity. There are only cases where specific component warranty coverage is denied due to failure modes the manufacturer has determined was not their fault. If you changed your air intake, they have to have reasonable proof that it was directly related to the cause of your failed transmission.

So my morals when it comes to dealerships got a wee bit jaded after that. But i respect the fact that you are such an honest upstanding individual.

Your "jaded" confidence in the dealership warranty service system, is misplaced, especially for someone who is claiming to know the ins and outs of service departments pretty well. I'd say its pretty poor advice, especially with all the trouble you've had, to suggest that people just mod their trucks however they want and lead them to believe that they can just screw the manufacturer when things don't go the way they planned, because "every dealer has a service advisor who is willing to look the other way" (even if you have to tip them).

SupremeWill

Reaction score
This is illegal on a federal level. There's no such thing as voiding a warranty, in any capacity. There are only cases where specific component warranty coverage is denied due to failure modes the manufacturer has determined was not their fault. If you changed your air intake, they have to have reasonable proof that it was directly related to the cause of your failed transmission.

Your "jaded" confidence in the dealership warranty service system, is misplaced, especially for someone who is claiming to know the ins and outs of service departments pretty well. I'd say its pretty poor advice, especially with all the trouble you've had, to suggest that people just mod their trucks however they want and lead them to believe that they can just screw the manufacturer when things don't go the way they planned, because "every dealer has a service advisor who is willing to look the other way" (even if you have to tip them).

Maybe i can start driving up to your dealership so you can give me good honest service and help me correct my miss guided ways.

And illegal or not when a dealership tells you that you have to pay out of pocket to get your vehicle back and you and your family are 600 miles from home you will do it and not worry about arguing the law when your babies need to get home. Maybe you and your dealership are honest but you would be one of the few. The mentioned problem was with a Ram, but i have had a similar problem with a leveling kit voiding the warranty on a F350.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive been messing around with this engine since dec 31st 2008 when i bought my 2009 R/T challenger. Short tubes =loss of money negligible hp gain

Users who are viewing this thread