5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aero or normal ride level around town?

wingostar

Reaction score
Just wondering what you find as your preferred ride level for in town driving? Thanks!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed I get brights flashed at me less if I'm in Aero mode at night. I'm not aware of the headlights adjusting downwards in Normal so lowering to Aero also lowers the headlight cutoff.

I also counter match at any drive throughs. Make life easier and the AS was made to be used.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the ride is a little smoother in Aero but I could be imagining it. I did notice that Normal height is better for the Automatic Car wash to clean the running boards when I deploy them for cleaning and they don't rub on any of the tire metal track parts.

sass

Reaction score
I like going to OR1 to make my truck look taller at stop lighs...lmao... but I generally leave my system in normal driving around town.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Like letting the suspension adjust as needed based on speed

DanSkan

Reaction score
I ride around town in normal but I have the ORP so normal is 1" higher. I go down to aero in highway driving which is 1/2" lower but is still 1" higher than aero on trucks without ORP. I really like the 1" higher in normal but wish I could lower the truck in aero the additional 1" down for better gas mileage.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ride around town in normal but I have the ORP so normal is 1" higher. I go down to aero in highway driving which is 1/2" lower but is still 1" higher than aero on trucks without ORP. I really like the 1" higher in normal but wish I could lower the truck in aero the additional 1" down for better gas mileage.
I've thought about this, too. It would be nice on the highway to drop a bit further (but not all the way to E/E).

ferris bueller

Reaction score
hey guys. new here. I stumbled across your site searching stuff about the ram air suspension. this seems to have one of the more thorough discussions on the topic. (other than rebel forums). so I registered to ask this question...

I realize this is a 5th gen site and my truck is a 4th gen (2015 Longhorn). I see that many of you said that you "set it to aero", or "leave it in aero". how is this done? I'd be more than fine getting it to aero height while not moving and pulling the fuse if I have to .. but, I'm thinking I may just be missing something simple. perhaps this is only a 5th gen thing ??

The only manual selectible settings I have are: entry/exit - normal - OR1 - OR2. obviously, it goes in or out of any one of those based on speed 9other than normal which it can stay in all the time). on the highway it will put itself into aero mode but, I in no way have I found it possible to leave the truck in aero mode for driving around town. which is what I want to do. the only settings in unconnect in regards to aero either enables or disables aero. at hwy speed when off it will just stay in normal. when on, it'll automatically lower to aero height.
any suggestions would be great. thank you.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hey guys. new here. I stumbled across your site searching stuff about the ram air suspension. this seems to have one of the more thorough discussions on the topic. (other than rebel forums). so I registered to ask this question...

I realize this is a 5th gen site and my truck is a 4th gen (2015 Longhorn). I see that many of you said that you "set it to aero", or "leave it in aero". how is this done? I'd be more than fine getting it to aero height while not moving and pulling the fuse if I have to .. but, I'm thinking I may just be missing something simple. perhaps this is only a 5th gen thing ??

The only manual selectible settings I have are: entry/exit - normal - OR1 - OR2. obviously, it goes in or out of any one of those based on speed 9other than normal which it can stay in all the time). on the highway it will put itself into aero mode but, I in no way have I found it possible to leave the truck in aero mode for driving around town. which is what I want to do. the only settings in unconnect in regards to aero either enables or disables aero. at hwy speed when off it will just stay in normal. when on, it'll automatically lower to aero height.
any suggestions would be great. thank you.
It’s selectable on the 5th gens with the same toggle switch used to select other heights. Sounds like the 4th gens aren’t configured that way.

ferris bueller

Reaction score
It’s selectable on the 5th gens with the same toggle switch used to select other heights. Sounds like the 4th gens aren’t configured that way.
that makes sense, being a toggle. thanks for your reply. yes, the 4th gen has up and down buttons. doesn't seem to be able to get into or out of aero any other way than automatically based on speed.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th Gen standard suspension/Non-Rebel trucks get an active chin spoiler for highway efficiency. Air suspension deletes the chin spoiler and adds Aero mode.

I let the truck figure it out. I don't get going fast enough for most of my in town driving to activate Aero.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Ok, is something wrong with mine? I have 225 miles on mine. I have yet for the suspension to automatically adjust the ride height on it's own. I've been putzing around town, zipping along on highways up to 75mph. The suspension will NEVER adjust on it's own. If I have it set to Aero, it will forever stay in Aero. If I have it set to Normal, it wil forever stay in Normal. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this something that the dealer needs to look into?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, is something wrong with mine? I have 225 miles on mine. I have yet for the suspension to automatically adjust the ride height on it's own. I've been putzing around town, zipping along on highways up to 75mph. The suspension will NEVER adjust on it's own. If I have it set to Aero, it will forever stay in Aero. If I have it set to Normal, it wil forever stay in Normal. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this something that the dealer needs to look into?

Uconnect settings, under suspension, you have to enable automatic aero mode.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run in aero mode almost all the time here in Florida. Ride feels a little better to me.

When I was in West Virginia I had it in normal mode or higher most of the time. Wanted the extra ground clearance.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run in aero mode almost all the time here in Florida. Ride feels a little better to me.

When I was in West Virginia I had it in normal mode or higher most of the time. Wanted the extra ground clearance.

I have noticed that the ride is more comfortable in Aero when it is colder outside (-20F to 50F and more comfortable in Normal when it is warmer (Above 60F)

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Uconnect settings, under suspension, you have to enable automatic aero mode.
I checked, and Aero mode is enabled. So, even with that setting enabled, the truck never adjusts automatically. I may need to have that looked at when I eventually bring it to the dealer. Nothing like having to make a grocery list of issues on a new truck. I'm regretting buying a 12/18 build that was sitting on the dealer lot for 6 months. Should have looked for a newer build.

Users who are viewing this thread