5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise Needed

jcues01

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Glad to have found this site! Seems similar to my old stomping grounds over at JK Forum, which is just what I need right now…

Okay, short story first; then to be followed by a longer explanation…. I’m buying my first Ram 1500 tomorrow and my entire decision-making process now (unfortunately) revolves around choosing between a 3.21 and a 3.92 gear axel ratio….

Okay now for the long spiel, which will hopefully help you all advise me on what to pick…. Bullet points may be best for this:

• I’ve owned Jeeps my whole life. First wranglers, then a Grand Cherokee. I’m very loyal to Chrysler/FCA….
  • I have always wanted a Hemi… I was about to get another Grand Cherokee and treat myself to one…. Then I had a gut-check with reality and realized that for what I do for work/play/family/hobbies, etc., what I needed more than anything is a truck with a bed…. Then I found that 12” dash and here I am.
  • I’m a city boy, so stop and go traffic is what I deal with. My joy in feeling a car move seems to be between long traffic lights, though I do look for excuses to get on the road and open her up. Torque off the line at a red light is what I have been wanting for a long time. It's just fun.... Even considered a Challenger for a brief second, but there is no way that is practical for me.
  • Looking for a crew cab with a 5’7” bed. I would love a 6’4”, but finding parking for the smaller bed is going to be hard enough for me.
  • I hate the hesitation in modern cars/trucks, and I plan to get a tuner to reduce this, regardless of it being a 3.21 or a 3.92.
  • My research is telling me that going to the 3.92 is not going to hit my fuel consumption that much... On average a 1MPG hit. If you have different experiences and think it will be much worse, please tell me. My gas budget is not unlimited and a drastic difference could sway me back to a 3.21.
  • I’m adamant on taking a 2019 on a deal, rather than build a 2020. With the specials going on right now, its just a no brainer. Deals are crazy right now…. This means that while I was previously looking at a high-end Laramie, I can now consider a Longhorn or a Limited.
  • I love the New Saddle interior on the Longhorn and, if I had my wish, it would be that interior with a 3.92…. Alas, that is not a possibility, unless I build a 2020, which will knock me out of a Longhorn/Limited price range anyway….

So here are my choices….

• Longhorn with the interior that I like, but with a 3.21 and a 33 gallon tank… I know the tank probably doesn’t carry that much extra weight, but it is still overkill for me…..
    • Or
  • Limited with a 3.92…. Black interior… Features are about the same as the Longhorn, though I may have to give up the Advanced Safety package if I go this route

So what do you think…? Does the 3.92 really make that much of a difference? Is the 3.21 with that big tank going to weigh me down and make it feel sluggish? Does the fact that I’m going to put a tuner in make the decision between the 3.21 and the 3.92 almost meaningless? Am I asking for gas trouble with a 3.92 in the city?

Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for whatever insight you may have.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
In stop-and-go driving, the 3.92 may actually be an advantage. It will get the 3 tons of truck moving faster and with less strain. If you do a lot of freeway, then I think the 3.21 would be the way to go. There are a bunch of threads on this. Try the search box using axle ratios or mileage.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
I have a 3.21 and 33 gallon tank. My 2016 had the smaller tank with 3.21 and i can't tell a difference. Plenty of power.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
My first 2019 was a 3.92, it was returned to the dealer three weeks later and my new Laramie is a 3.21. To be honest, I don’t feel a real difference at all. So, my opinion, if you find what you want with the 3.21, go for it. It’s not as detrimental as it was in the JK with bigger tires, etc., because the Hemi has plenty of power and torque. I’m satisfied.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
I would consider the 3.92 only if I was putting on 35” LT wheels, lift kit and/or towing heavy. Otherwise the 3.21, transmission and engine are sweet! My truck has plenty of get up and go and the aerodynamics, and suspension feels like I’m driving a NASCAR Truck. I honestly never had such a nice Driving, Comfortable and Sporty driving vehicle, especially for being a Truck!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Glad to have found this site! Seems similar to my old stomping grounds over at JK Forum, which is just what I need right now…

Okay, short story first; then to be followed by a longer explanation…. I’m buying my first Ram 1500 tomorrow and my entire decision-making process now (unfortunately) revolves around choosing between a 3.21 and a 3.92 gear axel ratio….

Okay now for the long spiel, which will hopefully help you all advise me on what to pick…. Bullet points may be best for this:

• I’ve owned Jeeps my whole life. First wranglers, then a Grand Cherokee. I’m very loyal to Chrysler/FCA….
  • I have always wanted a Hemi… I was about to get another Grand Cherokee and treat myself to one…. Then I had a gut-check with reality and realized that for what I do for work/play/family/hobbies, etc., what I needed more than anything is a truck with a bed…. Then I found that 12” dash and here I am.
  • I’m a city boy, so stop and go traffic is what I deal with. My joy in feeling a car move seems to be between long traffic lights, though I do look for excuses to get on the road and open her up. Torque off the line at a red light is what I have been wanting for a long time. It's just fun.... Even considered a Challenger for a brief second, but there is no way that is practical for me.
  • Looking for a crew cab with a 5’7” bed. I would love a 6’4”, but finding parking for the smaller bed is going to be hard enough for me.
  • I hate the hesitation in modern cars/trucks, and I plan to get a tuner to reduce this, regardless of it being a 3.21 or a 3.92.
  • My research is telling me that going to the 3.92 is not going to hit my fuel consumption that much... On average a 1MPG hit. If you have different experiences and think it will be much worse, please tell me. My gas budget is not unlimited and a drastic difference could sway me back to a 3.21.
  • I’m adamant on taking a 2019 on a deal, rather than build a 2020. With the specials going on right now, its just a no brainer. Deals are crazy right now…. This means that while I was previously looking at a high-end Laramie, I can now consider a Longhorn or a Limited.
  • I love the New Saddle interior on the Longhorn and, if I had my wish, it would be that interior with a 3.92…. Alas, that is not a possibility, unless I build a 2020, which will knock me out of a Longhorn/Limited price range anyway….

So here are my choices….

• Longhorn with the interior that I like, but with a 3.21 and a 33 gallon tank… I know the tank probably doesn’t carry that much extra weight, but it is still overkill for me…..
    • Or
  • Limited with a 3.92…. Black interior… Features are about the same as the Longhorn, though I may have to give up the Advanced Safety package if I go this route

So what do you think…? Does the 3.92 really make that much of a difference? Is the 3.21 with that big tank going to weigh me down and make it feel sluggish? Does the fact that I’m going to put a tuner in make the decision between the 3.21 and the 3.92 almost meaningless? Am I asking for gas trouble with a 3.92 in the city?

Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for whatever insight you may have.
You can make up for the 3.21 ratio with a tune, but you will see the inside of your truck every day. Get the interior you want (and Advanced Safety is a really nice bonus, too)!

Rick J

Reaction score
My joy in feeling a car move seems to be between long traffic lights, though I do look for excuses to get on the road and open her up. Torque off the line at a red light is what I have been wanting for a long time. It's just fun...

The 3.92 will probably be a little (very little) faster than the 3.21 off the line. However, a couple of points. If you want to take advantage of all the HP and torque, you better be in 4 wheel auto. If you only have 2 wheel drive you will have a lot of wheel spin if you get on it hard. Also, you need the 33 gallon tank if you are going to lead foot it between lights because your MPG is really going to suffer. :D

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Do either of the trucks have E-torque? That might be a more important factor than you realize.

E-torque = auto stop/start. If you're sitting at lights a lot, that could make a difference on fuel mileage. Some dislike auto start/stop (myself included), but the Ram doesn't use the normal starter motor for this, so it's supposedly more seamless.
E-torque also has more off the line power according to FCA. I've never driven a truck with it, so I can't say from personal experience. That said, I have to wonder how quick if the truck has shut off and has to restart.

Again, I have never driven one myself, but it is something to consider if only one of the trucks has it.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Do either of the trucks have E-torque? That might be a more important factor than you realize.

E-torque = auto stop/start. If you're sitting at lights a lot, that could make a difference on fuel mileage. Some dislike auto start/stop (myself included), but the Ram doesn't use the normal starter motor for this, so it's supposedly more seamless.
E-torque also has more off the line power according to FCA. I've never driven a truck with it, so I can't say from personal experience. That said, I have to wonder how quick if the truck has shut off and has to restart.

Again, I have never driven one myself, but it is something to consider if only one of the trucks has it.

I drove an e-torque last weekend. As far as quickness I am not sure - but you can definitely tell the power band gap is no longer missing on normal driving. Power seems more instant.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I wrote the first eTorque review on this forum well over a year ago. On a test drive of the first eTorque-equipped truck seen at a dealership, I was able to break the rear tires loose while starting the engine. It was a fun discovery...the salesman was grinning ear-to-ear too. FCA states that eTorque is able to start the engine in 0.4 seconds, and it really is seamless. I’ve had my custom-ordered Longhorn with both eTorque and 3.92 gears for over a year, and I’m very pleased with the driving experience.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rather than quote everything:

- If you want get up and go, 3.92 with eTorque
- If you want fuel economy 3.21 with eTorque

The eTorque supposedly will increase fuel economy up to 2MPG depending on driving conditions. Plus it helps get the truck rolling for the first 1/2 wheel rotation from a stop giving you a little extra oomph too. This would "give back" the mileage you theoretically lost going to 3.92 gears. My dad has 3.21s with eTorque in his 2020 Limited and it is nice. The start/stop is barely noticeable since RAM does not use the starter to get the engine going again.

I have the 3.21 rear with no eTorque and it does plenty fine for me, although I could feel the difference when I test drove trucks with 3.92 gears. My 4wd slows me down too with all the extra weight.

Depending on configuration you will put yourself into an economy range but how you drive will determine what your actual numbers will be.

I average in the mid-15's for overall MPG with mixed driving. If I do a lot of highway driving and/or go easy on the gas pedal (drive like an old man with an egg under the pedal) I can get mid-16's. If I'm having fun and drive like I was 20 again I have gotten as low as the mid-13's (but it was fun). These are all hand calculated (which is usually about .5 MPG less than what the truck tells me).

Last edited:

TWRam

Reaction score
If you plan on towing anything substantial or think you might find yourself needing to someday, don't forget the large difference in towing capacity between the 3.92 and 3.21. For my truck configuration, the max trailer capacity for the 3.21 ratio is 8,150 lbs vs 11,250 with the 3.92 ratio. For me, I occasionally tow boats and sometimes encounter slippery ramps. 3.92 and 4wd were must haves for me.

Towing capacities:

jcues01

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advise... Went to the dealer and the Longhorn is not available any more. Had a discussion with them about the current incentives and made the decision to go back to the high end Laramie. It will be a 3.21 as I cannot find a 3.92 with the 12" dash. I think I will be fine with it, especially with the tuner. If I were to build a 2020 then I would be missing out on a good 6k (probably more) in discounts. Cant bring myself to do it.

Wanted to thank everyone again. Im going to be posting more now that I will have another vehicle that I can customize. Wasnt really much that I could do with my Grand Cherokee, but this is already taking me back to the audio and lighting work that I used to do on my JKs. Really excited for this...

steveved

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie has the eTorque Hemi engine. Been living with it for a little over a year now. I have a buddy with a 2018 and he actually gets 2mpg better fuel economy than I do.

Don't get me wrong, we love this truck... But don't let eTorque be a selling point. After living with one for a little over a year, I can tell you that the only thing eTorque buys you is start/stop. The fuel mileage savings is all smoke and mirrors. Nothing to see...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advise... Went to the dealer and the Longhorn is not available any more. Had a discussion with them about the current incentives and made the decision to go back to the high end Laramie. It will be a 3.21 as I cannot find a 3.92 with the 12" dash. I think I will be fine with it, especially with the tuner. If I were to build a 2020 then I would be missing out on a good 6k (probably more) in discounts. Cant bring myself to do it.

Wanted to thank everyone again. Im going to be posting more now that I will have another vehicle that I can customize. Wasnt really much that I could do with my Grand Cherokee, but this is already taking me back to the audio and lighting work that I used to do on my JKs. Really excited for this...
You won't regret getting the 3.21. I have it and it feels quite quick. I also have the Pedal Commander, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers now... :D

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to call BS on the whole idea that 3.92 gears will give you more takeoff power or be quicker off the line.

If you aren't towing or hauling anything, the Hemi puts more than enough torque down to spin the tires on takeoff, even with 3.21 gears. So, if you're not towing or hauling, takeoff is going to be limited by traction, not your rear end gearing.

If you were towing a big trailer or carrying a lot of weight in the bed, then yes, the 3.92 would get you going faster - if you're the type to hammer it from a stop when carrying/pulling a big load.

As confirmation of this, I had an '09 with 3.92 and Hemi. My brother had a '16 with 3.21 and Hemi. Driving them back to back, neither one of us could tell any difference in takeoff from a stop... because they were both limited by tire traction, not power or torque to the ground.

My new truck also has a 3.92 rear end (and a Hemi w/E-torque) and I really wish I had gotten the 3.21 gears. I do a lot of highway driving with the cruise set at 80 MPH. At 80, I'm turning around 2200 RPMs, where I get terrible fuel economy. I work from home, so I don't commute. I have put 6700 miles on my truck in the 3 1/2 months since I bought it, so mostly highway driving. My average over that whole time is a little over 14 MPG. That is hand calculated, using Fuelly for every single fill-up. The very few times I've driven a long stretch at something like 65 MPH or so, I have gotten mileage over 20, so I know the truck is capable of getting decent mileage if driven just right. But, I almost never do that kind of driving.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say one way or the other on the Ram, but I will say that I had both 2.94 and 3.36 gears on two different Nissan Titans and I could easily tell the difference from the line. The 3.36 was worlds stronger. But that vehicle also only had a 5 speed transmission, so it may be the transmission gearing in the Ram is so much better as to make the difference between 3.21 and 3.92 negligible. But I don't know, that's a pretty good sized gearing difference so I can't imagine you don't get some benefit from the higher gearing.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were to build a 2020 then I would be missing out on a good 6k (probably more) in discounts. Cant bring myself to do it.
I hear you on that. I really wanted a Laramie but, as much as I wanted some of the cool stuff that comes with the higher trim level, I couldn't justify paying $9K more to get the Laramie over a Bighorn with the discounts available at the time.

I wish I had leather ventilated seats but I am very happy with my loaded Bighorn and $9K in my pocket. (y)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

And that is why I have 3.92 gearing... 26% off MSRP during June was too hard to pass up. But, I had to take what I could find on a dealer's lot. And, really, the only actual problem with the 3.92, in a practical sense, is lower mileage. Which I can handle. It's not any worse than my '09 was and maybe just a little bit better. With the 33 gallon tank, it goes far enough between fill-ups to satisfy me. It's just the extra money at the pump. And if I couldn't afford that, I wouldn't have bought a $66K (sticker) truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/