5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on coolant leak

robeward

Reaction score
For week or so I noticed my radiator fan kicking on high while sitting at stop lights. Up until recently I did not know the coolant had a dipstick. Shame on me. I am use to the remote reservoir and just assumed the coolant was a sealed system so I have not been monitoring. Once I learned this I checked the coolant level and it was low enough that it did not touch the dip stick. I also had this brown paste on the dipstick. It was not slimy or sludge. More like a dried paste. Close to peanut butter. See attached pictures.

Took my truck to a shop and they checked for visual leaks, completed a pressure check and also added die for further inspection. They could not find any leak. To date I have not smelled coolant, have not seen signs on garage floor of leaks and do not have any white smoke from exhaust on startup. My last truck developed a cracked head so I am familiar with the white puffs of smoke.

Assuming the shop is correct and there are no external leaks what are the next things I should be looking for or researching?
I would also like opinions on the brown paste and what that could be?
I still have the die in my coolant and am also concerned with buildup in the system so was considering flushing the coolant system.
Can anyone point me to a procedure specific to these trucks?
Should I use a cleaner like the prestone product?

I will keep a very close eye on the level now to determine rate of consumption. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240516_220553066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240516_220553066_HDR.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240516_220319515_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240516_220319515_HDR.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240516_220314347.jpg
    IMG_20240516_220314347.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 13

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Imo just add coolant and see how it is.
Also monitor engine/coolant temps.
Oem stat is 203 degrees so should be around that while in motion. If it not in motion it will climb but I think would still be under 230 degrees.
If temps are good then I don't know if you really need to buy that cleaner because it's flowing, maybe remove the tstat and confirm it's not gunked on?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also note that there is a known cooler issue that causes oil to leak into the radiator, there is a thread here that mentions it: Brown Sludge on Coolant Dipstick?

The brown paste is likely oil getting into the radiator from the leaking cooler and creating sludge on the dipstick, seems to be a common issue and relatively easy to fix. I believe it starts on Post 41. There is another thread that talks more in-depth about the issue, which I can't find right now.

Essentially you can replace the cooler with an updated one that is less likely to leak, 2019 - 2020 RAMs have the older style cooler.

Last edited:

Bubba67

Reaction score
I had a radiator fluid leak in my 21 Ram Big Horn, 5.7. I first noticed the sweet smell of a leak after driving it just 30 minutes, I took it in at least twice, before they replaced the t stat. Then, I finally told them I could smell it in the cab, and they replaced heat exchanger. Even though they did all this, and pressure tested it, I could still smell fluid till the day I traded it, not sure if it was residual from leaking on carpet from the Heat Exchanger or something else. I never saw brown color in it.

Users who are viewing this thread