5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice/Help: Truck on "Dealer Hold" 1 day away - How to get it released or comp.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for some help from the Group on how to get my dealer to actually get my truck delivered (not lip service me) or, some type of "compensation" for the unnecessary delays to motivate them to get it delivered. Oil change (nah, do my own, don't want to drive 1 1/2 hours to get it done at dealer). Maybe a ceramic coating or PPF - something that would financially motivate them go actually get it delivered to them. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why it's being held and what I could negotiate for to get it moving again.

Here's the situation:
My truck was build and delivered all the way to my state in less that 30 days. It was supposed to be put on a truck and delivered to my dealer on Tuesday. We've been able to track it all the way thanks to some "help" here (y). All of a sudden it's status changed to "Informal Hold - Dealer Hold". WTF! One of our assumptions is the dealer may be trying to hold it until April as they may have already met their March quotea and would rather hold it for 5 more days and start April with a sale on April 1 - Monday. Booo. I called and emailed my dealer, letting him know I have seen the tracking report and vehicle history and it shows it as being on a "Dealer Hold". He swears it's not them, and they want it out of their lot. But of course it's not even on their lot, not costing them anything. I told him, well, somebody ordered it held. Who and Why? He does not know. Surprised that even they could not get that information. Sound fishy to anyone? When it first arrived he did say to me, I can't guarantee it will get to us this week, I would guess more like next week, which goes right along with my suspicion of an April hold. So, of course, there is only so much you can do and say without turning things worse. Have to still try to keep things positive and moving forward. He was able to call his regional rep again yesterday for the second time and got the hold lifted, but then in his voice mail to me, my dealer said his rep. said even when he gets it lifted, he's still seen them take 24-76 hours to ship. (I though they never saw this happen before. hmm...). Well, needless to say we are where we are. I am thinking of maybe negotiating something as an incentive to get them to say - let's just get this thing out of her and not cost us any more money. I mentioned returning my deposit until it arrives, but he followed up as "Ok, we c an do that, but then the truck is fair game, it's not held for you anymore." I said that's playing dirty and he backed off as did I. I'd end up paying that in a week anyway, so that really only delays the payment.

Options:
1. Ask for the dealer to apply a ceramic coating. That's $$$ and I bet they don't want to eat that $$$. Also, how could I even tell that they actually put one on - Anyone know how to verify a dealer actually did it???
2. 4 Oil changes - I am not really interested in that though as I do my own, like to monitor it, and the dealer is 1.5 hours away, and I don't want to drive there to wait and drive home.
3. PPF (clear bra). Don't know much about this, but I think that is even more $$$$ and they don't do it in house I am sure.
4. - YOUR advice and thoughts from you guys.

Pleas chime in with your thoughts, suggestions, and if you even know or had experience with a Dealer Hold. It's my fear that they could have just lifted the hold on paper so get us off their trail, but will still hold it, saying, oh, it's the Union trucking schedule, or it's was moved to another storage lot and they are looking for it. You know the run-around.

All advice on negotiations options and tactics and suggestions would be awesome. This forum is great for this and supporting each other. Already learned a ton, and bought lots of mods. and the truck isn't even here yet!

Cheers!

PS - other than this literally last minute/last leg snafu, it's been a great build and experiences. The fact that it's just outside my fingertips and literally 46 miles away is what is making this a killer.

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My advice is to just wait it out and stop driving yourself crazy!
I know. It just pisses me off when they get sneaky. I paid in good faith, and I'm even already paying insurance and on the loan for a week now. It's not a fortune of course, but it's still not cool. Thanks. Deep breath. And then I see their tv commercials. Lol

TVANVA

Reaction score
Also, I wouldn't ask for ceramic applied by the dealer. That is likely to be farmed out to the absolutely lowest bidder and who knows what they will do, or if they have any clue what they are doing. Misapplied ceramic doesn't wash off, you have to abrasively remove it. If asking, ask for something the dealership is less likely to mess up. Looking at your signature, how about the Mopar phone wireless charging system?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can’t really do much like they told you if you want your deposit they will give you your deposit but the truck is no longer “yours”. That shows they don’t really care as the truck will sell no matter what.
As far as what you should ask for compensation I doubt the dealer will want to negotiate anything as they really shouldn’t or are obligated to.

If it’s the truck you really want and ordered just wait it out and stop speculating that they are doing this and that.

Good luck

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, I wouldn't ask for ceramic applied by the dealer. That is likely to be farmed out to the absolutely lowest bidder and who knows what they will do, or if they have any clue what they are doing. Misapplied ceramic doesn't wash off, you have to abrasively remove it. If asking, ask for something the dealership is less likely to mess up. Looking at your signature, how about the Mopar phone wireless charging system?
@TVANVA
Great advice - I did not know that about the ceramic. now that's important to know.
As far as the Mopar wireless charging system, my build is a Limited, so it already has the wireless charger phone slot (left side) below the 12" Uconnect. Is that what you are referring to? or something else?

redbranch

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Mine arrived at the dealership, and was immediately held because of the brake pedal recall. They said they had no parts. Some searching (including good info from this forum) led me to discover that the parts were being rationed and dealers were using them on the unsold trucks on the lot before putting them on the sold trucks. Mine was in limbo. After a few days of going back and forth with the dealer I called FCA customer service, gave them my VIN and asked them to expedite the parts in my name to my dealership. The nice lady ran the VIN and said since I hadn't yet taken possession of the truck she couldn't do that, but that she would see what she could do and get back to me. 30 minutes later, the service department at the dealership called and said they now had my parts and I could pick up my new truck. I found the timing curious. ;) And ditto on the dealer "ceramic" ....total waste of money, as it's not the real deal.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Mine arrived at the dealership, and was immediately held because of the brake pedal recall. They said they had no parts. Some searching (including good info from this forum) led me to discover that the parts were being rationed and dealers were using them on the unsold trucks on the lot before putting them on the sold trucks. Mine was in limbo. After a few days of going back and forth with the dealer I called FCA customer service, gave them my VIN and asked them to expedite the parts in my name to my dealership. The nice lady ran the VIN and said since I hadn't yet taken possession of the truck she couldn't do that, but that she would see what she could do and get back to me. 30 minutes later, the service department at the dealership called and said they now had my parts and I could pick up my new truck. I found the timing curious. ;) And ditto on the dealer "ceramic" ....total waste of money, as it's not the real deal.

Great info. And yes, isn't it amazing how all of a sudden it's in stock, or in my case, the hold was released, when all morning it couldn't be.

I was thinking of calling FCA and seeing if they could see who put the hold on it. That would be the smoking gun and great intel! I doubt they could find that info out, as they always try to say that once it hits KZ, they lose info and we have to contact the dealer. But that's not really true, because depending on the person you get on the phone (better chance than on Chat) they were able to tell me the exact status during transport. Even the check-ins of the train along its route. It's amazing what a simple "Hi, Linda, how are you doing today" can make them smile and more willing to help you. They were great. I may try a call later today while I'm ". . . . wait forrr it" Waiting! :sleep:

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Great info. And yes, isn't it amazing how all of a sudden it's in stock, or in my case, the hold was released, when all morning it couldn't be.

I was thinking of calling FCA and seeing if they could see who put the hold on it. That would be the smoking gun and great intel! I doubt they could find that info out, as they always try to say that once it hits KZ, they lose info and we have to contact the dealer. But that's not really true, because depending on the person you get on the phone (better chance than on Chat) they were able to tell me the exact status during transport. Even the check-ins of the train along its route. It's amazing what a simple "Hi, Linda, how are you doing today" can make them smile and more willing to help you. They were great. I may try a call later today while I'm ". . . . wait forrr it" Waiting! :sleep:

That's funny that you say to be nice... Every time I called (and it was a lot!) I was always asking how they are doing or if they were having nice nice or week. Every bit helps when you are trying to get something from them that you want.

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I just got a call at 11 AM. "Hi, your truck just came in"
So case closed. Moral of the story is. This forum ROCKS! People are awesome, and always offer whatever they can. Sometimes advice, other times key Intel.

Cheers! PS- Can't wait to finally change my signature.

Last edited:

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Well, I just got a call at 11 AM. "Hi, your truck just came in"
So case closed. Moral of the story is. This forum ROCKS! People are awesome, and always offer whatever they can. Sometimes advice, other times key Intel.

Cheers! PS- Can't wait to finally change my signature.

Awesome.. No go get her! Congrats

TVANVA

Reaction score
@Cmerkert - Rats....no freebee.......but you have your truck!

Yes, I was referring to the charger behind the phone slot.

That's the problem with the Limiteds.......less mods!

Jackham

Reaction score
Careful....soon you will start sounding like Adam Schiff:)

As you know I am in the same boat. Ordered Dec. 31st, in rail yard 120 miles away. My approach??? Pickup, what pickup? Until they hand me the keys and I get in it does not exist. On the other hand I made it quite clear they better have every update, reprogram, every niggle done. They get it.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Careful....soon you will start sounding like Adam Schiff:)

As you know I am in the same boat. Ordered Dec. 31st, in rail yard 120 miles away. My approach??? Pickup, what pickup? Until they hand me the keys and I get in it does not exist. On the other hand I made it quite clear they better have every update, reprogram, every niggle done. They get it.

@Jackham - Intelligence, who's leaking intelligence???? We're not intelligent enough to get intelligence! ;)

Thanks. I gave them the full vehicle checklist from floating around this site and said you can use this to make sure everything is up to snuff before I get there. That's some freakin checklist. lol

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score

Great advice, wouldn't get the ceramic coating from ANYONE but a shop who will truly warranty it...Maybe a power step : )

redbranch

Reaction score
The Auto Armor "ceramic" that the dealerships use is supposedly warrantied, but it's not the real deal and there is a lot of fine print, plus they find all sorts of ways to weasel out of claims. I watched an online video of application, and it's done with a spray on foam which is rubbed around and then rinsed off quickly. Nothing like a real ceramic application. I think they bank on hoping most people won't bother with the guarantee, because there's no way it will last seven years. My stepson, who used to work for a dealership, mentioned that it's a huge money maker since the stuff only costs them about $50 and they charge $1500. He also told me that the financing guys get a nice chunk of it when they talk someone into it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread