5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustable Sleeping Platform in Bed ... ideas needed.

WRH

Reaction score
On my Tacoma, I built an adjustable platform for sleeping and storing gear underneath. With the larger bed of the Dodge Ram, I'm looking forward to building one for my new rig once a canopy is available...prob three months out for the ARE MX I want. Dammit. I hate waiting.

I'd love feedback. I'm including some pictures of the Tacoma design since it will be similar. The goal is light, easy to remove/adjust/install, solid, simple, and minimal space. I also need to be able to break it down and store with minimal space, both in and outside the truck.

The concept is three supports, two on the sides and one down the middle. I'll then use 6 or 8 bed slats to create the platform, and then six carpet covered plywood slabs to make the bed. In the Tacoma, I used 3 long slaps. I've decided cutting them down the middle is better to make them easier to store, and adds the ability to lift one of the back ones to access gear underneath.

The problem moving to the RAM, is I don't have the same side support structure in place. I'll need to find a way to support the side planks using stands like in the middle. I could use the same ones from the Tacoma for the middle support, but I'd like to go higher than their max (14"). Ideally, I need an adjustable leg that works from 13" to as much as 25" (although that much height is not needed). The other problem with my existing supports, the base and top support are too large to work well on the sides.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supports? Here is what I used for the Tacoma:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6ZW2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll attach pictures from the Tacoma to give you a better idea as to what I'm building.

Attachments

• HP2Q8177.JPG
    HP2Q8177.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 143
  • HP2Q8192.JPG
    HP2Q8192.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 143
  • HP2Q8195.JPG
    HP2Q8195.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 132
  • HP2Q8197.JPG
    HP2Q8197.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 138
  • HP2Q8213.JPG
    HP2Q8213.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 138

WRH

Reaction score
Thought I'd update. Finally got my canopy and built out my sleeping platform.

I have the bed kit, so the rails made this super easy. They became the supports for my sides. I didn't have this in my Tacoma so had to built a support system.

I used two sheets of plywood (barely needed 2). Cut the plywood first to 66.5 inches for the width, then cut straight in half (so I had 3 2 foot x 66.5 strips). Then I cut them in half (in my Tacoma I used one long strip, but with this bed rail method, a single sheet won't fit). A benefit to this, however, is it's easy to lift a pane in the back to get to gear underneath.

I then trimmed each piece to match the contour of the truck down the bed. For the two pieces up against the cab, I also had to trim a bit on edges so it would fit snug. It took a few trips back and forth from the saw to the truck to get it right.

I bought thin carpet and carpet padding and glued and stapled each piece of plywood. Mark the back of each panel so you'll know exactly where it goes when you remove and reinstall.

Cut a 2x6 to run the length from the cab to the tailgate. Make sure you check the height, there is a edge on the cab and if you measure too high, you'll cut your 2x6 too short. Yup. I speak from experience. I also put some carpet on the ends of the 2x6 so they wouldn't scratch things up.

Deciding on the supports was a tough one. In the end, I went with the same solution I had in my tacoma. Three of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6ZW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is they can't quite get long enough. So I cut 4 small 2x6 squares. I then screwed the supports and legs to the 2x6. In my Tacoma I had the bed so I could use two different heights, don't really need that here but these adjustable legs still seemed to be my best option.

I then screwed down a small length of wood on each panel to keep the center support from sliding around (you can see this in my included pic).

If you barrel down a super bumpy road, the panels can bounce up and not fall perfectly back into place. A simple strap underneath would stop this. I only ever had that happen once in the Tacoma though. Most of my driving is pretty tame. I haven't added a strap yet, but I probably will. I also never had any issues with the support structure, and there were times I loaded a lot of weight on the top of the bed. The center support is sturdy and stayed in place like it was supposed to!

I designed it for sleeping and thought I would remove it unless I was going on a trip. Turns out, I like it in all the time. I generally have a memory foam pad and sleeping bags laid out in back. I can store stuff underneath and feel better about security. Also have some simple velcro curtains for the windows when I'm spending the night in a rest area and want some privacy.

The bed rug helps with insulation, and when I have to crawl up under the bed to pack or unpack gear....

Attachments

• 20190307_194353444_iOS.jpg
    20190307_194353444_iOS.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190227_021902679_iOS.jpg
    20190227_021902679_iOS.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190222_012542939_iOS.jpg
    20190222_012542939_iOS.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190227_021858811_iOS.jpg
    20190227_021858811_iOS.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190305_230544615_iOS.jpg
    20190305_230544615_iOS.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 93

Nick54

Reaction score
Thought I'd update. Finally got my canopy and built out my sleeping platform.

I have the bed kit, so the rails made this super easy. They became the supports for my sides. I didn't have this in my Tacoma so had to built a support system.

I used two sheets of plywood (barely needed 2). Cut the plywood first to 66.5 inches for the width, then cut straight in half (so I had 3 2 foot x 66.5 strips). Then I cut them in half (in my Tacoma I used one long strip, but with this bed rail method, a single sheet won't fit). A benefit to this, however, is it's easy to lift a pane in the back to get to gear underneath.

I then trimmed each piece to match the contour of the truck down the bed. For the two pieces up against the cab, I also had to trim a bit on edges so it would fit snug. It took a few trips back and forth from the saw to the truck to get it right.

I bought thin carpet and carpet padding and glued and stapled each piece of plywood. Mark the back of each panel so you'll know exactly where it goes when you remove and reinstall.

Cut a 2x6 to run the length from the cab to the tailgate. Make sure you check the height, there is a edge on the cab and if you measure too high, you'll cut your 2x6 too short. Yup. I speak from experience. I also put some carpet on the ends of the 2x6 so they wouldn't scratch things up.

Deciding on the supports was a tough one. In the end, I went with the same solution I had in my tacoma. Three of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6ZW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is they can't quite get long enough. So I cut 4 small 2x6 squares. I then screwed the supports and legs to the 2x6. In my Tacoma I had the bed so I could use two different heights, don't really need that here but these adjustable legs still seemed to be my best option.

I then screwed down a small length of wood on each panel to keep the center support from sliding around (you can see this in my included pic).

If you barrel down a super bumpy road, the panels can bounce up and not fall perfectly back into place. A simple strap underneath would stop this. I only ever had that happen once in the Tacoma though. Most of my driving is pretty tame. I haven't added a strap yet, but I probably will. I also never had any issues with the support structure, and there were times I loaded a lot of weight on the top of the bed. The center support is sturdy and stayed in place like it was supposed to!

I designed it for sleeping and thought I would remove it unless I was going on a trip. Turns out, I like it in all the time. I generally have a memory foam pad and sleeping bags laid out in back. I can store stuff underneath and feel better about security. Also have some simple velcro curtains for the windows when I'm spending the night in a rest area and want some privacy.

The bed rug helps with insulation, and when I have to crawl up under the bed to pack or unpack gear....
Wondering, did you install the roof mounted lights? if so, where did you get them? Thanks

Jeff270

Reaction score
Nice write up! Ya got me thinking...... I do a lot of kayak fishing, up and down the Northeast coast. Between tournaments and get togethers, we camp a lot. Would be nice to have someplace simple to sleep in, that I could still haul the yak and rods in.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome @WRH

Thanks for sharing your setup and offering advice and lessons learned the hard way.

Another one of those love seeing a truck setup as a tool threads.

Thanks

WRH

Reaction score
Wondering, did you install the roof mounted lights? if so, where did you get them? Thanks

I ordered them with my MX. Many LED strips on amazon though that I think could be adapted to work!

Users who are viewing this thread