5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding tow mirrors

Ram92131

Reaction score
I posted this review of a set of add-on tow mirrors that I like. I'm up to about 1000 miles of towing with them and I'm still happy. They are quite secure and don't shake. Just an option that maybe solves the issue for less than $60.

Spydie

Reaction score
Here's the latest news on getting your tow mirrors to work properly. I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Tradesman. I bought aftermarket tow mirrors off Amazon, black on the back, not chrome. I installed them easily (the long bolt on the inside bolt that was hitting the door jam and needed to be cut off, was already shortened on this version. I guess they learned their lesson). Of course the puddle light and turn signal didn't work. I took it to the dealer and they programmed the LED and LEC code (puddle light and turn signal). But, when I turned them to vertical position, the controls were off 90 degrees (left/right made them go up/down, etc). So I scrounged around on the internet and some place (I forget where) I found there is one more code, LEG, which controls the movement when they go to vertical. Everyone on the forum said that only worked on OEM mirrors, not aftermarket. And nobody, not even the tech at the dealer, knows what triggers the change. Someone suggested mercury switches in the mirrors, but we know that's not correct because the EPA got rid of mercury switches many years ago. Anyway, for those of you that want to try it, the LEG code does work on my aftermarket mirrors. The tech said maybe not all aftermarket mirrors would work, but you have to have all three codes to get these mirrors to work properly. My cost to program was $129 (very expensive in my book for something that took literally 15 minutes maximum.). Mine say they are heated but there is not symbol on the glass and I live in NM so I'll never know if they are heated.

Users who are viewing this thread