5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding tow mirrors

mxvet

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the power fold mirrors. They have heat, bsm, power fold etc. I know this is the preferred mirror by most. I have a large 27 ft boat and trailer would really help me with backing the boat up especially into the garage. I tried some extension mirrors but did not like them.
I have been to two dealers and both have it will cause the check engine light to come on if I switch mirrors. They say there is an ambient temperature sensor in my current mirrors and not the tow mirrors. Has anyone done this switch and found a solution to the check engine light tripping.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the power fold mirrors. They have heat, bsm, power fold etc. I know this is the preferred mirror by most. I have a large 27 ft boat and trailer would really help me with backing the boat up especially into the garage. I tried some extension mirrors but did not like them.
I have been to two dealers and both have it will cause the check engine light to come on if I switch mirrors. They say there is an ambient temperature sensor in my current mirrors and not the tow mirrors. Has anyone done this switch and found a solution to the check engine light tripping.
There is most definitely an ambient temperature sensor in the tow mirrors. The only item missing would be the power folding. The dealer as per usual is incorrect.
If you get the door modules with the tow mirrors and you remove "power fold" from the door modules programming with AlfaOBD you should not get any codes. May not even need the door modules since you are deleting a function and not adding, not sure as I have not tried this option yet. You will need the tow mirrors with BSM and heat which I think only come in chrome.

mxvet

Reaction score
Thanks. I have another dealer that I'll check with and provide your info to them and see if I can get it done.

raven_DT

Reaction score
The funny thing is our previous 2017 2500 Tradesman had the flip up towing mirrors w/ heat (no power fold). Why cant we get heat on the towing mirrors w/o power folding on the 1500s???

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The funny thing is our previous 2017 2500 Tradesman had the flip up towing mirrors w/ heat (no power fold). Why cant we get heat on the towing mirrors w/o power folding on the 1500s???
You can get heat on the tow mirrors. The Limited and Longhorn have an option for chrome tow mirrors with heat.

Woz10

Reaction score
Hey, just saw this ... I have the tow mirrors and if the options check out right between our trucks i would be interested in swapping. My truck is new (900 miles on it) so they're in great condition.

raven_DT

Reaction score
You can get heat on the tow mirrors. The Limited and Longhorn have an option for chrome tow mirrors with heat.
I dont see that for the 1500 2019s or the 2020s on ramtrucks.com build site. If you get the tow mirrors you dont get heat.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I dont see that for the 1500 2019s or the 2020s on ramtrucks.com build site. If you get the tow mirrors you dont get heat.
Never go by the build site. It's so quirky and wrong it isn't even funny. There are plenty of members here that have heated tow mirrors on their trucks as a factory installed option.

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm I have heat on my tow mirrors, check out my sig for my build. But there is no power folding option for the tow mirrors that I have seen.

barr0208

Reaction score
I can confirm I have heat on my tow mirrors, check out my sig for my build. But there is no power folding option for the tow mirrors that I have seen.
sadly I don't have heat in mine and except for the adaptive cruise and 12 inch screen mine is loaded ,confused is an understatement .

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For 2019 and 2020 1500 there is no power fold tow mirrors.

For 2019 should also be same for 2020 only Laramie, longhorn, and limited got heat with tow mirrors...tradesman, bighorn/lonestar, rebel did not.

They also lose surround view on all trims.

If someone has a bighorn/lonestar with heat...that is something new.

Now the HeavyDuty they do get the powerfold tow mirrors with heat and can also get surround view with the tow mirrors.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
My Bighorn has tow mirrors, and also Blind Spot with trailer Blind spot. When I turn on the rear window defroster, the mirrors also defrost except for a small square around the Blind Spot warning light in the upper left (With very clean lines- where it is not heated). Maybe the Blindspot tow mirrors have heat? The heated mirror indicator does NOT come on, but the fog sure burns right off.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Clayinfla

Do your mirrors look like this... 20200208_165824.jpg

Because it sounds like you are describing the regular mirrors.

I did not know the tow mirrors had blind spot or heat on a bighorn. But I also haven't had much interest in learning about the 2020 yet
20190927_165459.jpg
Do they flip out like this?

Thanks for the info

Clayinfla

Reaction score
@Clayinfla

Do your mirrors look like this... View attachment 50683

Because it sounds like you are describing the regular mirrors.

I did not know the tow mirrors had blind spot or heat on a bighorn. But I also haven't had much interest in learning about the 2020 yet
View attachment 50684
Do they flip out like this?

Thanks for the info
They look like all the other tow mirrors as best I can tell. The blind spot sensors are in the LED tail lights. The small yellow light that indicates something in the blindspot is in the upper left of the mirror.

Attachments

• ACA4F4B9-DD9E-41FD-B38A-0BF1F8943DB0.jpeg
    ACA4F4B9-DD9E-41FD-B38A-0BF1F8943DB0.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 45
  • CF813B5F-4B9A-46C2-A2E7-FC457D717ED3.jpeg
    CF813B5F-4B9A-46C2-A2E7-FC457D717ED3.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 43

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Clayinfla thank you for the reply back.

Those are definitely the tow mirrors. I didn't know they offered blind spot in them. And for 2019 there was no heat for a bighorn.
So 2020 does have some changes

So that is all very interesting.

Thanks again

rcpepper

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install the power fold Tow Mirrors from a 2500. They get all the goodies, surround view, BSM, Power fold, etc. on the HD trucks.

Rob

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install the power fold Tow Mirrors from a 2500. They get all the goodies, surround view, BSM, Power fold, etc. on the HD trucks.

Rob

This was from a couple months back, but I noticed nobody answered. No, the power-fold tow mirrors from the Heavy Duty's will not work on the new 1500's. The Heavy Duties are still using the previous generation body (4th Gen). Perhaps once Ram releases the Heavy Duty's in the new generation body (5th Gen), the power-fold tow mirrors will hopefully be a direct swap.

Users who are viewing this thread