5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding skid plates

Sydalec

Reaction score
What skid plates are available for the crew cab Laramie? The only one I come across is for the transfer case only. Not a heavy duty off roader but used on outer banks of north carolina in the deep sand where there can be logs or tree trunks underneath. Just find it odd this is the only one I can find

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Same question for the Limited. When I ordered my truck the ORP was on restriction. Decided to skip it because dealer agreed to order and install the Protection Group separately when the truck arrived, which was fine with me. The brochure for the truck says the Protection Group has “tow hooks, front suspension skid plate, transfer case skid plate, electronic power steering skid plate, and fuel tank skid plate.” Crawled under the truck today and I’ve got the tow hooks, but only 2 skid plates and neither of them are on the fuel tank. Looking through Mopar parts online and I can’t find anywhere to even order the additional skid plates for the 2019.

Wondering if dealer ordered 2018 parts and threw them on my truck. Probably not a huge deal, but I still want the missing skid plates too.

Can anyone point me to where I can order the 2019 skid plates? Or are there aftermarket ones that are better?Also, anyone with a Limited and either ORP or Protection Group want to post a pic of their underside (of the truck) that shows what is supposed to be there?

RT70808

Reaction score
Same question for the Limited. When I ordered my truck the ORP was on restriction. Decided to skip it because dealer agreed to order and install the Protection Group separately when the truck arrived, which was fine with me. The brochure for the truck says the Protection Group has “tow hooks, front suspension skid plate, transfer case skid plate, electronic power steering skid plate, and fuel tank skid plate.” Crawled under the truck today and I’ve got the tow hooks, but only 2 skid plates and neither of them are on the fuel tank. Looking through Mopar parts online and I can’t find anywhere to even order the additional skid plates for the 2019.

Wondering if dealer ordered 2018 parts and threw them on my truck. Probably not a huge deal, but I still want the missing skid plates too.

Can anyone point me to where I can order the 2019 skid plates? Or are there aftermarket ones that are better?Also, anyone with a Limited and either ORP or Protection Group want to post a pic of their underside (of the truck) that shows what is supposed to be there?
I’ll have to look under there but here’s the build sheet for mine.
E0526920-5AB5-4A19-8837-ED17471C20BA.jpeg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have only 3 plates... it appears that the steering/suspension plate is one piece.
Yes, I know it is misleading but I feel they listed what was protected vs. The actual number of skid plates.

I tried looking for the electronic power steering skid plate and on Jeeps and Rams it seems to be one piece listed both ways...misleading, yes, but I am thinking that is what happened.

At the same time, in some of the pictures...I am not seeing how it covers the powersteering...although I am also naive to where it is located.

Rams biggest issue this go around is misleading info...tow mirrors, BUG, fuel tanks, two tone paint, USB ports, payload and towing ratings being so far off from actual ordered trucks.

I sure hope they get this all sorted out for the refresh and HD debut in 2022(2021)

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree that everything could/should certainly be more clearly worded (tow mirrors, BUG, fuel tanks, two tone paint, USB ports)...

I think all manufacturers should be more forthcoming in clearing stating which trim/configuration they used to get payload, tow rating, and fuel economy.... I think they would find less frustrated buyers.

fireron

Reaction score
I talked to the parts guys at my dealership today regarding buying the fuel tank skid to my Longhorn. He called whomever dealers call to find out about ordering one as the computer did not list one. He was told they are not offering them...yet. Maybe after next month when supplies get caught up to new build demands.

dannyjo

Reaction score
sorry to revive a dead thread, but i am wondering whether the additional plates ever materialized as an option via Mopar. looking at online parts sites, i'm guessing the answer is no (at least for a 2019 3500 4x4 cummins mega cab)?

Poppa

Reaction score
sorry to revive a dead thread, but i am wondering whether the additional plates ever materialized as an option via Mopar. looking at online parts sites, i'm guessing the answer is no (at least for a 2019 3500 4x4 cummins mega cab)?
Hi,
I can find 3 skid plates for the DT body style 2019-2021.
P/N: 68266720AA - Transfer Case
P/N: 68266717AB - Front Suspension
(Both of the above want bolt kit P/N: 6104414AA)
P/N: 52029963AD - Fuel Tank

When I went to order the truck originally (2020 1500 Laramie, full crew w/6'4" box) the online configuration
site said the Protection Group (skid plates) was available. When I sat down with my sales rep to order the truck,
that option was shown but grey'ed out and couldn't be selected. No explaination as to why could be found.
Hope this helps.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is the 1500 forum. I'm not sure you'll find much help here for your HD. You might try posting here instead...

mirzaspeed

Reaction score
just finished installing these today. There is only 2 plates available for the ram dt. Which is the front steering and transfer case. Skid plate is also available for our fuel tank. The TRX comes with a transmission skid plate which fits our truck as well.

Attachments

• 7EFEACCB-1C54-4CCC-9B7F-EBE8E834AE50.jpeg
    7EFEACCB-1C54-4CCC-9B7F-EBE8E834AE50.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 97
  • AE929DC8-63D6-48BD-A0D3-3A0CE620AE0E.jpeg
    AE929DC8-63D6-48BD-A0D3-3A0CE620AE0E.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 9A2D9AFC-6C4A-44FE-90A7-E17ED42F1BAD.jpeg
    9A2D9AFC-6C4A-44FE-90A7-E17ED42F1BAD.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 94
  • A54D73BD-9A4E-42B7-87D7-AC9859743F57.jpeg
    A54D73BD-9A4E-42B7-87D7-AC9859743F57.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 94

Rsorrell2

Reaction score

I have the off-road and it comes with a skid plate not very heavy duty but there is one. I added a transmission skid plate that has cut outs for the oil plug it is heavy duty. I know a forum member has been trying to make a front skid plate but to many variables

Denali

Reaction score
just finished installing these today. There is only 2 plates available for the ram dt. Which is the front steering and transfer case. Skid plate is also available for our fuel tank. The TRX comes with a transmission skid plate which fits our truck as well.
Any modifications needed for the TRX plate? Also part #?

OKRam1500

Reaction score
Any modifications needed for the TRX plate? Also part #?
You just need to drill two holes and install riv-nuts

mirzaspeed

Reaction score
I didn’t add riv nuts. Just replaced the front cross bar. That already had the threaded holes

Users who are viewing this thread