5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Aaronen90

Reaction score
Hey guys.
new to forums. Learning my way around here.
I just got a 2019 ram tradesman 1500 eco diesel

It doesn’t have push start.
does have remote start but no push start.

I’m wondering if I’m able to switch my system
To proximity door handles
And push start.
Luckily my buddy works at Jeep so I have someone to help with dealer required steps.
But is it even possible in my case ?

I see most ppl seemed to already have push start.

since I don’t is that a deal breaker ?
or I just have to also buy the push start parts.
Thanks.
If I missed a section we’re this was answered I’m sorry. Please refer me to where I can answer myself.
Hopefully it’s possible so I can share my experience on here for whoever could gain from it

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys.
new to forums. Learning my way around here.
I just got a 2019 ram tradesman 1500 eco diesel

It doesn’t have push start.
does have remote start but no push start.

I’m wondering if I’m able to switch my system
To proximity door handles
And push start.
Luckily my buddy works at Jeep so I have someone to help with dealer required steps.
But is it even possible in my case ?

I see most ppl seemed to already have push start.

since I don’t is that a deal breaker ?
or I just have to also buy the push start parts.
Thanks.
If I missed a section we’re this was answered I’m sorry. Please refer me to where I can answer myself.
Hopefully it’s possible so I can share my experience on here for whoever could gain from it
Do you mind sharing a picture of your keyfob? I've never heard of a DT without a Push button start..

WheelerNation

Reaction score
Just finished installing the harnesses and handles and now I do have passive entry. Thanks again Swifty and all the other guys on here for your help. I do have one issue though. My key fobs no longer work? Is that the tradeoff of this upgrade or do I need to do something to get them working again. Like I said I can use the door handles to lock and unlock and truck senses the fob to drive, just none of the fob buttons work which sucks cause without that I cant remote start.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Just finished installing the harnesses and handles and now I do have passive entry. Thanks again Swifty and all the other guys on here for your help. I do have one issue though. My key fobs no longer work? Is that the tradeoff of this upgrade or do I need to do something to get them working again. Like I said I can use the door handles to lock and unlock and truck senses the fob to drive, just none of the fob buttons work which sucks cause without that I cant remote start.
Just make sure to check the battery in the Fobs before jumping to a conclusion. Also check and make sure there is not a setting in the radio to enable and disable the fobs. Try disconnecting the vehicle battery for 5 minutes. Lastly if nothing else works, you need to go back to dealer and have the tech add the fobs back into your rf hub. They should not have become disabled. Pretty strange. Did you install factory harnesses in the doors or did you make your own?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy.. that's not good...
Non of us have had any issues of this kind.
Looks like the fobs are still programmed to the truck and the batteries are fine (otherwise they would have been dead, no proximity, no start etc)
Going back to the dealer is kind of a problem because you did tell them that you take full responsibility for this RVC.
They can maybe help you with reprogramming the fobs but other than that, it's on you.
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, let everything sync for a few hours and see if there's any changes...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the little red light flash on the fob when buttons are pressed? Also flashes when push the dash start button? Do you have a alfaobd to scan codes for the heck of it?

WheelerNation

Reaction score
Does the little red light flash on the fob when buttons are pressed? Also flashes when push the dash start button? Do you have a alfaobd to scan codes for the heck of it?
Yeah the red light flashes, don't have alphaobd yet maybe time to get one. Will try what MannyHen said too and unplug the battery. Not a huge deal breaker for me just would be nice to have remote start for the winters so I have plenty of time till then to figure it out.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Oh boy.. that's not good...
Non of us have had any issues of this kind.
Looks like the fobs are still programmed to the truck and the batteries are fine (otherwise they would have been dead, no proximity, no start etc)
Going back to the dealer is kind of a problem because you did tell them that you take full responsibility for this RVC.
They can maybe help you with reprogramming the fobs but other than that, it's on you.
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, let everything sync for a few hours and see if there's any changes...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
The fobs work because the light comes on. The truck is seeing the chip in the fob, thats why the truck starts and proximity entry works. That is a separate function in the Fob from the buttons. One concern I do have is he has a 12 radio installed after the fact which has the door lock control in the option list. Maybe he should try also reinstalling the pod that Infotainment gave him. Then do a battery disconnect. Don't know, just a guess. Lastly have dealer reinstall fobs. This all assumes the wiring is correct in the doors.

Aaronen90

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing a picture of your keyfob? I've never heard of a DT without a Push button start..
Thanks for quick response.
I have a2019tradesman 1500. Just got it last night.
Does have remote start
But no push start.
I was able to learn that I indeed am able to upgrade.
I found a kit with 2 door handles
Module
Push start button

I think it was 1500$
Can I not scrap these parts together ?
or is this kit theonly way to go about it ?
Either way I’m going to do it
But would love to save where I can

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 31

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does have remote start
But no push start.
Module
Push start button

I think it was 1500$
You have a Ram Classic...DT Tradesman has push button start...
I think you can buy a non-mopar kit for less. I'll try to look it up for you.

Last edited:

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does have remote start
But no push start.
Module
Push start button

I think it was 1500$
You can use the kit from autotechelectronics, or you can follow the guide from https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-factory-keyless-enter-n-go.134961/ - 4th gens are easy!

Aaronen90

Reaction score
You have a Ram Classic...DT Tradesman has push button start...
I think you can buy a non-mopar kit for less. I'll try to look it up for you.
Wow really lol.
i wonder why I believed it to be a tradesman.
But I appreciate you going out your way to look that up.
awesome if you.
Thanks.
I also would like the door handles to be passive entry (key in pocket)

Aaronen90

Reaction score
Could be a Classic Tradesman but not DT Tradesman...
Ok yeah
I believe this is what it is.
a classic tradesman.
but thanks either way.
I’ll be checking in to see if you find what I need for my 2019 to enable passive entry and push start.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey mikes thanks.
going to read over that link shortly.
I took quick glance and saw it mentioned 13-18

I have a 19.
But I’ll read into the thread incase it mentions 19 as I turn the pages.
They say it's up to 18 because usually when you say 19 you refer to the new body style, yours uses the same stuff from 18'.

WheelerNation

Reaction score
The fobs work because the light comes on. The truck is seeing the chip in the fob, thats why the truck starts and proximity entry works. That is a separate function in the Fob from the buttons. One concern I do have is he has a 12 radio installed after the fact which has the door lock control in the option list. Maybe he should try also reinstalling the pod that Infotainment gave him. Then do a battery disconnect. Don't know, just a guess. Lastly have dealer reinstall fobs. This all assumes the wiring is correct in the doors.
I am at work right now but I will plug in the bypass and obd genie again and see if anything changes. I may just go to the dealer and have them reinstall the fobs when it gets cold out. Been thinking about installing an alarm as young kids in my area seem to enjoy breaking into peoples vehicles that are parked outside so maybe with an aftermarket alarm I can regain those options with those fobs?

Users who are viewing this thread