5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A table of Passive Entry handles and caps for most of the colors has been added to post #7.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the Alfaobd program on a smart phone? I have an old android phone that I think can run it. I don't want to waste the money on an android tablet if its not necessary.

As far as I know it will work as long as it's android.

parnine

Reaction score
I’m working on compiling a list of part numbers for everything in all the colors. Handles, caps, and possibly harnesses. It will go up in one of the empty posts.

Check the attachment I added to the first post, it has all the part numbers for building your own harness and the antenna part numbers.

Below is what I installed, and a shot of it in the truck, with temporary clips until I find bolts to mount it properly.

650212bf272ffe2c51ebb990664ad572.jpg

Thanks much!

FYI - based on this picture, with the mounting holes on 'opposite sides', I do not think the 2019 DT interior rear antenna ( 52112204AA) will fit with out modification as this ( 52112204AA) antenna has different mounting tabs, both on the same side.

For 'low cost' 56046957AA, the 2019 DS interior rear antenna, looks best (per your install). Maybe someone will buy an install the 2019 DT (52112204AA) antena and confirm if it can be plug an play or requires modifications due to mounting tab locations.

That @Jimmy07 custom wire looks great (I just wish it was not $30 :( )

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks much!

FYI - based on this picture, with the mounting holes on 'opposite sides', I do not think the 2019 DT interior rear antenna ( 52112204AA) will fit with out modification as this ( 52112204AA) antenna has different mounting tabs, both on the same side.

For 'low cost' 56046957AA, the 2019 DS interior rear antenna, looks best (per your install). Maybe someone will buy an install the 2019 DT (52112204AA) antena and confirm if it can be plug an play or requires modifications due to mounting tab locations.

That @Jimmy07 custom wire looks great (I just wish it was not $30 :( )

Even if you could only line up one mounting tab, with some double sided adhesive tape behind it, I doubt it would go anywhere. Or you could always just drill the hole to line up with the tabs.

parnine

Reaction score
Even if you could only line up one mounting tab, with some double sided adhesive tape behind it, I doubt it would go anywhere. Or you could always just drill the hole to line up with the tabs.

Agreed it could be 'made to work' but why not just use the DS version, as you did, with the holes aligned. I'd think for the 'how to write up' the DS version (56046957AA) is the way to go and the 'best option' with the DT version (52112204AA) if the other is not available. And both of these assumeing one does not the stock version (52112203A) @ $270 on line to $400 delear :)

Your write up is great and I'm sure it will be a great help to the community!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t see spending that much on one when the cheap one works. Only thing I can think is that perhaps the range might be better on the more expensive version, or maybe it’s more weatherproof. But I was able to open the tailgate with the fob about 4’ away, any further and it wouldn’t work reliably.

Chillz

Reaction score
Ordered all my passive entry parts for BAM Warehouse and they completely messed up my order and I can't get anyone in there parts department. I am beyond pissed.
I ordered 2 part #6CV361AUAD and received # 6CV64KXJAD
I ordered 1 part #6CV52LAUAB and received # 6CV52KXJAB

I also ordered the following parts that i did not receive.
68361206AD
68361307AC
52112204AA

ssick92

Reaction score
Ordered all my passive entry parts for BAM Warehouse and they completely messed up my order and I can't get anyone in there parts department. I am beyond pissed.

68361206AD
68361307AC
52112204AA

Wow I would be pissed too. I ordered mine from WholesaleMopar and they have been great. They let me cancel my original wire harnesses from my order before it shipped, and then I realized I ordered the handles with the chrome trim on them so they are letting me return those as well. They always responded to me within a couple hours via email, or immediately when I called them. Unfortunately their descriptions are pretty terrible on the parts, so I now learned to find the correct part #'s elsewhere and then just order through them.

mcclelland32

Reaction score

68361206AD
68361307AC
52112204AA
Wonder if they sent you my parts as I still have not received them....just to confirm the JAD and JAB parts were diamond black...

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if they sent you my parts as I still have not received them....just to confirm the JAD and JAB parts were diamond black...

In the part numbers, XJ is the paint code for diamond black. So if you see that, you should be good. The rest of the part number is the actual part, and the revision of that part number.

Tallus

Reaction score
So I tried to install tonight and the write up was great. I think some pictures of how to run the passive entry around the window track would be great.

I do have a issue.
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Crystal Met. and ordered the following parts.
However, the connecter on the left harness has 5 wires and a double connector on harness 68361307AC. Can I just cut the new connector and use the old one from the harness? The wiring is the same color, except for the fifth wire in the new harness.
1595561482172.png
Part NumberPart Name Price QuantityTotal
6CV52LAUABCap, RIGHT$7.3610
6CV50LAUACCap, LEFT$6.8410
6CV64LAUADHandle, Outside, LEFT$84.0720
68361306ADWiring-Front Door$76.6510
68361307ACWiring-Front Door$86.8810

Tallus

Reaction score
This extra wire looks to go to 8c on the main harness.
I snipe the connector and swapped with old harness. Everything works fine as normal with our passive entry. I haven't configured it yet.

065FD088-9D02-4207-9A19-5C1531AE4356.jpeg 9F6FF4D4-1AFF-4030-818D-629858B492CF.jpeg

Last edited:

parnine

Reaction score

68361206AD
68361307AC
52112204AA

@Chillz - if you do finally get 52112204AA let us know how you mount it and if any customization (drilling holes) is required. While I've not seen 52112204AA personally, only pictures of it online, and per the RAM dealer parts dept guy, the mounting holes are on the same side, where as per the pics @MayhemMOORE posted the 2019 DTs have the mounting holes on opposite sides. It does not look like it will align directly with the DTs

parnine

Reaction score
So I tried to install tonight and the write up was great. I think some pictures of how to run the passive entry around the window track would be great.

I would agree! But how one would take those I don't know, you need a scope camera.

You have to do it all by feel and feel around for the wire clips and then work the wire into the clips - for me this was the trickiest part of the install. I think there are 3 clips that are not visible but the wire should be clipped into - do you remember how many you did? @MayhemMOORE could then add this level of detail to the
'how to'

Chillz

Reaction score
@Chillz - if you do finally get 52112204AA let us know how you mount it and if any customization (drilling holes) is required. While I've not seen 52112204AA personally, only pictures of it online, and per the RAM dealer parts dept guy, the mounting holes are on the same side, where as per the pics @MayhemMOORE posted the 2019 DTs have the mounting holes on opposite sides. It does not look like it will align directly with the DTs
I have been trying to contact this seller since 1 pm yesterday and has been very unsuccessful. I have called, left messages and sent emails and still nothing from them. I did a little google search and found I am not the only person this has happened to. Based on my online search they have no phone customer service and they may or may not email you back. If they do email you its just the return instructions, you have to pay to ship the return and pay restocking fees, no avenues for exchanges.

mcclelland32

Reaction score
I have been trying to contact this seller since 1 pm yesterday and has been very unsuccessful. I have called, left messages and sent emails and still nothing from them. I did a little google search and found I am not the only person this has happened to. Based on my online search they have no phone customer service and they may or may not email you back. If they do email you its just the return instructions, you have to pay to ship the return and pay restocking fees, no avenues for exchanges.
The only way I have been able to get a response from BAM is on the original email they send is the hyperlink that says "you can monitor the status of your order *here*". Once that page opens at the bottom right a link says *contact us*.
Hope that helps. Screenshot_20200724-084736_Chrome.jpg

ssick92

Reaction score
Well I got the driver's side completed last night and can confirm that it works! However, unfortunately for me I didn't realize I bought the handles with the chrome trim on them when I wanted just the body color so have the order placed and the return ready. It will be an easy 30 second job to swap out the handles when the new ones show up as I was able to confirm I have enough slack in the connection to do it from the exterior.

Today's agenda is the passenger side door which I haven't started and the rear antenna which I've already wired up, just need to figure out the mounting.

Can't thank @MayhemMOORE and @Jimmy07 enough for their work on this.

EDIT: Got the passenger side and rear antenna completed this morning and all is working exactly as it should. A few notes about the whole process:
It took about half has much time to do the passenger side as it did the driver side. I would suggest starting on the passenger side in case you accidentally snap anything, at least you won't have to see it and you can use it as a learning opportunity to get your driver's side perfect. Luckily I didn't break anything throughout the whole process except 1 of the little push pins that hold the outer cover on the door. Can't notice it though as there are enough places that it gets secured. Also, when I opened up the box for my passenger side cap, I noticed that they actually sent me 2 of the driver's side caps with the keyhole punchout. instead of returning and waiting for a new cap I just removed the magnet from the one they sent and put it inside the handle cap that was previously on my car and it works fine.

The rear antenna was easy, I just ziptied one of the holes and used some double sided adhesive for the other side. It's not going anywhere so I'm not concerned that it isn't actually bolted in.

As far as AlfaOBD, after making the changes I tried a few ignition cycles and drove the car a bit down to Lowe's to try to find a T27 torx for the handles (which they don't have, T25 worked fine), but it still wasn't showing up in my Uconnect. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for about 20 minutes and that did the trick. For those of you who are new to RAM's (like me) -- when you reconnect the negative terminal, it will take a while for your Uconnect to pick up on all your settings again. I was scared that I fried the BCM on my brand new truck when my Uconnect was basically showing blank screens for all my settings menus. After about an hour or 2 it went back to normal and the Passive Entry menu showed up as expected.

Last edited:

Tallus

Reaction score
I can confirm it works as well. I installed the rear antenna, too. AlphaOBD is a little different for the windows version. I only had to change like 4 settings. In order to the change to take effect. I had to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Ignition cycling did not work. As soon as I reconnected the battery the handles starting working and function properly.
Also, I have nav and it hasn't shown up in Uconnect. However, the door handles, antenna, locks are all working correctly. Thanks for everyone keeping at it. I literally went to the dealer a few months back and was ready to trade it in after coming from a 2017 Limited. I've said if I can get this function back I would love my truck again.
It was also a lot of fun, I'm an engineer, building the harness for the rear and antenna and buying a few new tools to get the job done.

A couple of pointers. I started on the left door. it took twice as long to do as the right door as I knew what to expect.
The main harness connected to the cab. As the guide says look at the harness to see, where to close the clips to get them to release. Use a curved point or hook to get the far side bottom clip to depress it to release.

The two hidden bolts. I was really worried about being able to line these back up again when putting it back together. I suggest you use a small rachet to get these out. Also, there is a little give that you can pull the speaker side out a bit to reach these and see where they need to go. This is especially important when trying to put it back together. Do not forget to put these back before mounting the case to the door. You'll get annoyed with yourself after realizing you forgot to do this three bolts in. NO experience here!

The clip under the door handle is what I struggle with the most and then figuring out if the wire goes infront of the door lock cable. The right door I did a much better job of routing wiring and hooking it in factory slots. I may have to go into the left door again to clean it up.

The rear Antenna I used the factory holes and a oversized bolt that threaded the tab on the antenna to mount it.

Windows version of AlphaOBD. As part of this project I had to invest in everything, from OBD, to SGW, to OBDlink.
It took be a few mintues to figure out how to make sure the OBD link was configured properly in the advance settings. Then how to access the BCM and start the configuration change. It's different than the write up.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @ssick92 and @Tallus. I will edit the write-up as people offer tips and tricks to make it easier. If you know which settings are the ones required in the windows version I will make a note of that as well.

For the door clip you broke, here are the part numbers for those. I will add them to one of the posts at the beginning.

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (Yellow): 6510747AA

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (White): 6510359AA

Tallus

Reaction score
Passive entry still has not shown up on my Uconnect. I’m gonna recheck all the settings then disconnect the battery and see what happens. Passive entry is operating normally though.

Users who are viewing this thread