5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Remote Start - Is the Kit Really Needed??

alexharrel

Reaction score
Upon research and searching, from what I gathered is the HD Rams don’t need anything new aside from a new key fob and programming when it comes to adding remote start as long as the hood latch with the connector is there. For us 1500 DT guys is that the same?

I have the hood latch with connector already installed on my Rebel and have a fob with the 5 buttons programmed to my truck. Do I really need the RF module and antenna that comes in the OEM DT kit? If so, does anyone know the part number for the module and antenna and cables separately? I find it crazy that I have to buy this whole kit if my truck already has parts already installed from it (hood latch and key fob)
Did you ever get this installed? I am trying and my dealership is telling me they can’t install the remote start since there is no hood latch connector.
I installed a LOT of these at the dealership ..
you may or may not have the hood switch connector taped off up front. You more than likely may not even have the hood latch with the connector on it .. if you do and the cable is already hooked up - you may already be halfway there. That Purple wire with the stripe needs to go inside to the BCM (under the driver knee area) to pin11 on C1 (I think it is C1 .. it is the multi-pin connector at the top left). As long as it is in Pin 11 and you can confirm (easy for me because I was able to use our diag software to verify if the hood was open/closed), then you just need to have the parts place add the sales code to your VIN. Once it is added, the system updates and adds everything -- you still need to program the FOB though.
My dealership is telling me they can’t instal a remote start since there is no hood latch connector. Do you know what I can do or what info I need to tell them to get this to where they can install it?

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
Can one of you amazing ram enthusiasts please make a video for all of us peasants? Walk us through the required connectors at the hood latch, and show us what application to download, how you hook into the OBD2 port, and what codes to configure within the app. I have seen other videos on YouTube for people doing this with older Ram 1500 models, and even other alpha OBD compliant vehicles. Put your video on YouTube and post to link please! You’ll gain much clout on this forum!

Raydar

Reaction score
It occurs to me that the hood switch may not actually be "required". It's supposed to be a requirement for the anti-theft alarm, also, to protect the underhood area/engine compartment.
BUT... the anti-theft alarm works just fine without it.
The reason for the requirement for the remote start is so that the engine can't be started with the fob while someone is working under the hood. (Safety issue.)
So here's the deal... The switch is either "NC" or "NO" (normally closed or normally open). Most pin switches are normally open (with the pin depressed) and closed when the pin is released (as in, when the hood is opened.) My point is, if there is no switch installed, at all, the circuit is "open". The BCM will think the hood is closed - the desired/required condition for a remote start.
So... other than the "requirement" of visually verifying that the switch is actually there, it shouldn't matter.

Edit - Even with the switch open (off) there needs to be a resistor across the circuit. 1K or 100K. (Read on... I will edit as I get the correct value.)

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It occurs to me that the hood switch may not actually be "required". It's supposed to be a requirement for the anti-theft alarm, also, to protect the underhood area/engine compartment.
BUT... the anti-theft alarm works just fine without it.
The reason for the requirement for the remote start is so that the engine can't be started with the fob while someone is working under the hood. (Safety issue.)
So here's the deal... The switch is either "NC" or "NO" (normally closed or normally open). Most pin switches are normally open (with the pin depressed) and close when the pin is released (as in, when the hood is opened.) My point is, if there is no switch installed, at all, the circuit is "open". The BCM will think the hood is closed (the desired/required condition for a remote start.)
So... other than the requirement of visually verifying that the switch is actually there, it shouldn't matter.
The truck won’t remote start if the connector to the hood switch is disconnected. The BCM needs to see 1k ohms on the hood switch sense circuit for remote start to work. So, a hood switch is technically not needed, but you would have to ground the sensor wire with a 1k ohm resistor.

Raydar

Reaction score
The truck won’t remote start if the connector to the hood switch is disconnected. The BCM needs to see 1k ohms on the hood switch sense circuit for remote start to work. So, a hood switch is technically not needed, but you would have to ground the sensor wire with a 1k ohm resistor.

Thanks for that. After poking around a bit on YouTube, I came back to edit my post.
The video I watched mentioned "100K". Is it 1K, or 100K? (My anti-theft alarm doesn't care that it's not there at all.)
Your thoughts?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that. After poking around a bit on YouTube, I came back to edit my post.
The video I watched mentioned "100K". Is it 1K, or 100K? (My anti-theft alarm doesn't care that it's not there at all.)
Your thoughts?
It’s 1k.
Your vehicle theft alarm doesn’t care because your BCM is configured to not monitor the hood. There is a setting you can change for it to monitor the hood switch. 5C0F9D7A-0E23-4ED4-9905-B2D830BAC5E0.jpeg

Raydar

Reaction score
It’s 1k.
Your vehicle theft alarm doesn’t care because your BCM is configured to not monitor the hood. There is a setting you can change for it to monitor the hood switch.

Interesting. I turned the theft alarm on in AlfaOBD. I was thinking I had the hood switch field enabled, and that it "didn't care". But I could be mistaken. It's been a couple of years.
Thanks for the info.

Raydar

Reaction score
Okay. Talked with a local locksmith who says that he can program Ram key fobs. He's not sure about the 2019 DT, though. Said that he's had mixed results.
I ordered a fob off of Amazon. (Lock/unlock/remote start. Don't care anything about remote tailgate release.) It will be here tomorrow.
We, as they say, shall see.
I've got AlfaOBD. Already added a trailer brake controller and theft alarm. I'll update the thread, if I'm successful (or not) with this.

SlothSpeed

Reaction score
Okay. Talked with a local locksmith who says that he can program Ram key fobs. He's not sure about the 2019 DT, though. Said that he's had mixed results.
I ordered a fob off of Amazon. (Lock/unlock/remote start. Don't care anything about remote tailgate release.) It will be here tomorrow.
We, as they say, shall see.
I've got AlfaOBD. Already added a trailer brake controller and theft alarm. I'll update the thread, if I'm successful (or not) with this.
Any luck with programming the fob?

Raydar

Reaction score
Any luck with programming the fob?
Not yet. The first guy tried, but says he doesn't have the right equipment. (Or maybe he wasn't holding his chin just right, or something. :D )
I talked to somebody else who said they can do it, but I'll have to call ahead and make sure the "guy" is there, and it's almost an hour from here.
Also been sick, this week.
Y'all will be the first to know. (I hesitate to ask a dealer. I'm sure they could do it, but I don't want them to wipe all the AlfaOBD stuff that I've already added. Don't want to have to put all that crap back in.)

Users who are viewing this thread