5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Remote Start - Is the Kit Really Needed??

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Upon research and searching, from what I gathered is the HD Rams don’t need anything new aside from a new key fob and programming when it comes to adding remote start as long as the hood latch with the connector is there. For us 1500 DT guys is that the same?

I have the hood latch with connector already installed on my Rebel and have a fob with the 5 buttons programmed to my truck. Do I really need the RF module and antenna that comes in the OEM DT kit? If so, does anyone know the part number for the module and antenna and cables separately? I find it crazy that I have to buy this whole kit if my truck already has parts already installed from it (hood latch and key fob)

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Answered my own question. To anyone looking to do this.

My 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 Quad didn’t need anything but the new key fob and program and my remote start and tailgate release works after enabling it in AlfaOBD and letting the truck sit for 2 hours. Started right up with the fob. I didn’t need the DT kit.

vadedram

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2019 Ram Rebel Quad Cab also. I am wondering what I need to look for to see if this is all I need also. I dont have passive entry, and I only have 3 button keys (lock, unlock, panic). I also have push button start. Did you have passive entry already?

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2019 Ram Rebel Quad Cab also. I am wondering what I need to look for to see if this is all I need also. I dont have passive entry, and I only have 3 button keys (lock, unlock, panic). I also have push button start. Did you have passive entry already?
Nope no passive entry and I originally only had the 3 button key too.

look under the hood and see if you have the sensor on the hood latch.
4E462DC6-E385-41A3-9061-065FE70DB55B.jpeg

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 Quad didn’t need anything but the new key fob and program and my remote start and tailgate release works after enabling it in AlfaOBD and letting the truck sit for 2 hours. Started right up with the fob. I didn’t need the DT kit.
Were you able to program the extra fob yourself or did you have to go to the dealer?

Reid

Reaction score

Do I already have the hood switch on my tradesman? Is this the switch I need? Thinking all I need is the new fob and alfaobd program and it should work? 20210218_092255.jpg

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I already have the hood switch on my tradesman? Is this the switch I need? Thinking all I need is the new fob and alfaobd program and it should work?
AFAIK. The switch is on the hood latch itself, if you look through the opening at the right there you should be able to see if there is anything connected to it.

Reid

Reaction score
okay, I looked at it again and I can see the connector and a wire that comes off the hood latch. Now, I ordered a used keyfob with remote start and tailgate release on ebay. Now I need to figure out how to use a program(alfaobd) and get hardware to connect to the computer to get this setup. Anyone know of a step by step instructions to do this? I don't want to go to the dealer. I know they will want to just charge $500 for remote start kit plus installation.

Reid

Reaction score

What hardware will I need to connect to the computer to program it? I guess I need the $49 android app for the AlfaOBD, correct? I bought a used fob on ebay and should have it in about a week.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What hardware will I need to connect to the computer to program it? I guess I need the $49 android app for the AlfaOBD, correct? I bought a used fob on ebay and should have it in about a week.
Used FOB's can't be programmed to another truck...Though I understand that there are some that have purchased FOB's which have been erased and have had mixed success with the dealer programming them to their truck.
I believe there's a master AlfaOBD thread somewhere. But, you will need the bypass harness and a bluetooth OBD dongle as well.

Happy Reading HERE

Luis1275

Reaction score
Upon research and searching, from what I gathered is the HD Rams don’t need anything new aside from a new key fob and programming when it comes to adding remote start as long as the hood latch with the connector is there. For us 1500 DT guys is that the same?

I have the hood latch with connector already installed on my Rebel and have a fob with the 5 buttons programmed to my truck. Do I really need the RF module and antenna that comes in the OEM DT kit? If so, does anyone know the part number for the module and antenna and cables separately? I find it crazy that I have to buy this whole kit if my truck already has parts already installed from it (hood latch and key fob)
Stupid question? I have 2021 1500 DT with remote start. if I buy the fob with the tailgate release and i program it do you think it will work?

Reid

Reaction score

What AlfaOBD menu choices do to you go through to program your new FOB for the remote start/tailgate release to work? Is it Radio Frequency Hub(RFH)? Then what option? Program Ignition FOBIKS Baseline system or Highline system? What did you use for the 4 digit PIN?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid question? I have 2021 1500 DT with remote start. if I buy the fob with the tailgate release and i program it do you think it will work?
Yes, it will work. You may not even have to program in a code with alfaobd.
You will want to get the tailgate damper though so the tailgate doesn't fall so hard, it's an easy install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

klemo

Reaction score
I’m going to bump this.

What codes were used for Alpha OBD? I did the VCONFIG 1 - remote start and it just honks the horn once when i hit the remote start button. I checked to make sure I had good Ajar too and that was on. Any other codes?

I also attached a pic of the hood latch switch if anyone was looking to see what it looked like
9bf555f0572d580aac3655c946139629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klemo

Reaction score
For anyone wondering. The only code you need is the VCONFIG - 1 remote start option. Started working after around 8 hours or a couple cycles of the engine, not sure what did it.

EDIT: I also added the “Cust.Set.Menu 1 sound horn with remote start” so I could turn off the horn honking twice for remote start.

All I needed was a new key fob (recommend buying from wholesale or another online distributor), programming at the dealer, and the alpha OBD code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SVFreddy

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 tradesman and did not notice the hood latch switch, Does anyone know how I can add this? part # or any other info on my stripped down tradesman lol

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed a LOT of these at the dealership ..
you may or may not have the hood switch connector taped off up front. You more than likely may not even have the hood latch with the connector on it .. if you do and the cable is already hooked up - you may already be halfway there. That Purple wire with the stripe needs to go inside to the BCM (under the driver knee area) to pin11 on C1 (I think it is C1 .. it is the multi-pin connector at the top left). As long as it is in Pin 11 and you can confirm (easy for me because I was able to use our diag software to verify if the hood was open/closed), then you just need to have the parts place add the sales code to your VIN. Once it is added, the system updates and adds everything -- you still need to program the FOB though.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI, sales codes can not be added at dealer level. They have to added by the local FCA rep. or the regional manager. If and only if they decide to add them, they will update this in the FCA Connect database. If this is done, the tech. at the dealer can download the VIN specific vehicle configuration and do a Vehicle Restore, only then will you be able to have the new sales codes.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, sales codes can not be added at dealer level. They have to added by the local FCA rep. or the regional manager. If and only if they decide to add them, they will update this in the FCA Connect database. If this is done, the tech. at the dealer can download the VIN specific vehicle configuration and do a Vehicle Restore, only then will you be able to have the new sales codes.
That’s true for most sales codes, but XBM for remote start is available for all ram trucks since they offer a kit for it. Same with things like trailer brake controller, power side steps, aux trailer cameras for 21s, etc… Generally, if mopar offers a kit to add the feature after the fact, the sales code is already available.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, should have been more specific. Everything Mopar sell as a KIT or dealer installed option can be added at dealer level. Everything else, like UAX, GXD and the like cannot. I tried that with the LED headlights, 12" screen and passive entry, all are a no go.

Users who are viewing this thread