5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Noodiler

Reaction score
I started the installation today and I wasn't so sure of these details for the '22.

Parts used:

- The two auxiliary video inputs are on the blue plug.
- Both were already populated, so I de-pinned channel 1.
- RTFM I posted above 🙄😝. It has the necessary details to work the plug features properly.
- I tapped into F66 under the steering wheel for the 12VDC trigger and connected it to the red power lead at the video jack.
- I connected the ground in the engine compartment.
- The sockets for '22s are different than earlier MYs.

I got all the easy stuff done with the wiring and cable routing in the cab, now I have to mount the camera and route the cable under the hood.

The picture with the front-camera below is just a powered test with it hanging over the grill. It's not mounted yet.

I have 90+ sockets left. If any one wants a few, just message me and I can send some your way.

View attachment 146853 View attachment 146854 View attachment 146855 View attachment 146856 View attachment 146857 View attachment 146858

Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.

I can’t speak for 100% certainty but I would think the 23 would be the same as a 22 with a UC5. You can start on page 29 all other information is basically for older models.

So did you do a combination of the above posts? Which steps exactly did you follow assuming its the same on the later models as it is on the 22 with the blue plug? Did you need to add a switch so that the camera doesn't overheat? when you de-pin the connector, do you leave the old cables floating around? can you T-tap them instead?

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So did you do a combination of the above posts? Which steps exactly did you follow assuming its the same on the later models as it is on the 22 with the blue plug? Did you need to add a switch so that the camera doesn't overheat? when you de-pin the connector, do you leave the old cables floating around? can you T-tap them instead?
For the 2022+ trucks with Uconnect 5,
Another member had posted a link to a Mopar Connection Repair Kit site, Mopar Connection Repair Kit
I looked up a 2022 truck and got this pinout:
View attachment 138795

Hopefully, we can connect an analog video signal to VIDEO SIGNAL 1 / VIDEO COMMON 1.

The connector is a Molex sTAK50h, https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/stak50h_unsealed_connection_system

On my truck, there are three of these sTAK50h headers, a green, blue, and purple. Only the green and blue are populated. I'll take a look and see if these cavities are populated or not. If they are, hopefully they match this pinout.

I've also ordered some terminals for this. TE and Molex make them.
Molex: TAK50 Terminal, available in a 0.13 (~26AWG) and 0.35 (~22AWG) mm2 wire.
TE: NanoMQS Gen 50 terminal, 22 AWG: 2272196-2 : Generation 50 Automotive Terminals
NOTE: There's also a 26 AWG version of the NanoMQS.

I found some NanoMQS Gen 50 22 AWG terminals from Newark in the UK, so I should have those soon.

Once I get the parts and tools in, I'll share my findings here.

I started the installation today and I wasn't so sure of these details for the '22.

Parts used:

- The two auxiliary video inputs are on the blue plug.
- Both were already populated, so I de-pinned channel 1.
- RTFM I posted above 🙄😝. It has the necessary details to work the plug features properly.
- I tapped into F66 under the steering wheel for the 12VDC trigger and connected it to the red power lead at the video jack.
- I connected the ground in the engine compartment.
- The sockets for '22s are different than earlier MYs.

I got all the easy stuff done with the wiring and cable routing in the cab, now I have to mount the camera and route the cable under the hood.

The picture with the front-camera below is just a powered test with it hanging over the grill. It's not mounted yet.

I have 90+ sockets left. If any one wants a few, just message me and I can send some your way.

View attachment 146853 View attachment 146854 View attachment 146855 View attachment 146856 View attachment 146857 View attachment 146858
Everything you need to know is in those two post from Fusion and cskindt post. Depin the two plugs and repin the new ones in those spots. I wrapped mine and tucked them to the side. Then in AlfaOBD use the Auxiliary Cameras not the CHSML option when you enable the setting.

Users who are viewing this thread