5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding low profile reverse lights! (Write up)

colo-pr

Reaction score
my luck, Amazon is showing it as "Currently unavailable". :-(

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is just me(IMHO),,i just to it to a "Car Installer"done!....but thats just me(IMHO)!

Boa24

Reaction score
This will be a write up for how I added my lights to help with visibility when backing up at night.

If you feel like I do, then one of the down falls of these trucks is they have very poor visibility at night when backing up. I wanted to add some lights but i didn't want some big eye-sore of led cubes hanging off the back of my truck. So after days of research I came up with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KC6D3MC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 16538

After receiving the lights I inspected them and they are very solid, especially for the price!

I started by popping out my 7 way trailer plug and removed the tape back approx 4". I made sure to leave the wrap by the plug so that the grey plastic piece would stay under the original wrap.
After the wrap was stripped back I identified the BLACK WIRE as the 12v Reverse light power and the WHITE WIRE is the ground wire. I then cut the wires on the lights i bought down to approximately 3' and stripped them back to connect them. Now, I hate using the quick tap wire splicers but with my time constraint it was my only choice.
View attachment 16539

Now that I had a good connection I re-wrapped the 7 pin harness with 3m black electrical tape.

View attachment 16540

Once the tape was re wrapped I reconnected the 7 pin harness to the trailer connector and clipped it back in the hole.
Underneath the truck I used a zip tie to hold what little excess wire i had to the factory harness.

View attachment 16541

The lights were placed right by my hitch on the bottom of the bumper with the supplied 3M tape. They do not interfere with the hitch or the hitch pin.

View attachment 16542
View attachment 16543

The light output is VERY impressive for the size of these lights!

View attachment 16544
I have a set of these lights brand new in the box for sale if anyone is interested. I purchased them but ended up going the license place light route. Send me a PM if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread