5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding low profile reverse lights! (Write up)

Livinfast85

Reaction score
This will be a write up for how I added my lights to help with visibility when backing up at night.

If you feel like I do, then one of the down falls of these trucks is they have very poor visibility at night when backing up. I wanted to add some lights but i didn't want some big eye-sore of led cubes hanging off the back of my truck. So after days of research I came up with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KC6D3MC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Untitled.jpg

After receiving the lights I inspected them and they are very solid, especially for the price!

I started by popping out my 7 way trailer plug and removed the tape back approx 4". I made sure to leave the wrap by the plug so that the grey plastic piece would stay under the original wrap.
After the wrap was stripped back I identified the BLACK WIRE as the 12v Reverse light power and the WHITE WIRE is the ground wire. I then cut the wires on the lights i bought down to approximately 3' and stripped them back to connect them. Now, I hate using the quick tap wire splicers but with my time constraint it was my only choice.
20190217_234407.jpg

Now that I had a good connection I re-wrapped the 7 pin harness with 3m black electrical tape.

20190217_234523.jpg

Once the tape was re wrapped I reconnected the 7 pin harness to the trailer connector and clipped it back in the hole.
Underneath the truck I used a zip tie to hold what little excess wire i had to the factory harness.

20190217_234736.jpg

The lights were placed right by my hitch on the bottom of the bumper with the supplied 3M tape. They do not interfere with the hitch or the hitch pin.

20190217_234800.jpg
back.jpg

The light output is VERY impressive for the size of these lights!

20190218_013855.jpg

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
Nice y didn't u just buy a cheap hit connector that way they could have been plug and play

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nicely done! Been wanting to do something like this myself. On my trucks in the past I have drilled holes in the bumper and added reverse lights that way, didn’t really want to do that to this ‘19. May have to try these. I agree also with hard wiring, that’s what I do for everything. Leave the trailer plug for the trailer and for whatever reason I don’t like to see something plugged in when a trailer isn’t hooked on anyway.:)

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Does the truck think a trailer has been connected since you're drawing power from the trailer harness?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you @Livinfast85, did the exact same. Ordered mine after reading your thread here and installed them this evening. Really impressed with the amount of light these put out for their size. I’m going to thread bomb and add a couple pictures!:D Pictures aren’t the best but you get the idea. E21A96D1-B152-44A5-BB62-7AA558C502B9.jpeg FA8972E9-B23F-456B-92C9-0DC4099D0718.jpeg 00A39944-06DC-4331-ABF7-F3D1469A7CE8.jpeg 15DEB726-2738-47C9-9B5A-C06BFF3123C9.jpeg 7D6BB941-E617-4061-95E1-339A9E9DA574.jpeg FA990313-0ACD-4E91-BF03-1AAF36BF73C2.jpeg

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Thank you @Livinfast85, did the exact same. Ordered mine after reading your thread here and installed them this evening. Really impressed with the amount of light these put out for their size. I’m going to thread bomb and add a couple pictures!:D Pictures aren’t the best but you get the idea. View attachment 16771 View attachment 16772 View attachment 16773 View attachment 16774 View attachment 16775 View attachment 16776
Man, I'm really glad they worked out for you as well! Looks good!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent write up. I’m about to do the same, but with a double pole switch so I can run them on acc or reverse.

But this would eliminate a lot of wiring and switch mounting.

I agree with not using a trailer plug, that’s hacky and then you have to unplug it to use the actual trailer harness if applicable. But I guess most people don’t tow.

I kind of like these lights more than the ones I got. I might have to switch!

wwalljr

Reaction score
This will be a write up for how I added my lights to help with visibility when backing up at night.

If you feel like I do, then one of the down falls of these trucks is they have very poor visibility at night when backing up. I wanted to add some lights but i didn't want some big eye-sore of led cubes hanging off the back of my truck. So after days of research I came up with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KC6D3MC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 16538

After receiving the lights I inspected them and they are very solid, especially for the price!

I started by popping out my 7 way trailer plug and removed the tape back approx 4". I made sure to leave the wrap by the plug so that the grey plastic piece would stay under the original wrap.
After the wrap was stripped back I identified the BLACK WIRE as the 12v Reverse light power and the WHITE WIRE is the ground wire. I then cut the wires on the lights i bought down to approximately 3' and stripped them back to connect them. Now, I hate using the quick tap wire splicers but with my time constraint it was my only choice.
View attachment 16539

Now that I had a good connection I re-wrapped the 7 pin harness with 3m black electrical tape.

View attachment 16540

Once the tape was re wrapped I reconnected the 7 pin harness to the trailer connector and clipped it back in the hole.
Underneath the truck I used a zip tie to hold what little excess wire i had to the factory harness.

View attachment 16541

The lights were placed right by my hitch on the bottom of the bumper with the supplied 3M tape. They do not interfere with the hitch or the hitch pin.

View attachment 16542
View attachment 16543

The light output is VERY impressive for the size of these lights!

View attachment 16544

This is excellent.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Thinking about this some more...do you anticipate the lights staying stuck in place long term? Through rain, snow, car washes, etc?

I really like this idea.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thinking about this some more...do you anticipate the lights staying stuck in place long term? Through rain, snow, car washes, etc?

I really like this idea.
Not to thread steal from @Livinfast85, but imo, the lights “stick’ very well. You have to want to remove them for them to come off. I know they haven’t been on long but I have power washed the truck and we have had a couple rounds of rain/snow and no problem.

Mechaero19

Reaction score
Nice y didn't u just buy a cheap hit connector that way they could have been plug and play

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Can you show me the harness you are talking about?

macallien

Reaction score

mike12193

Reaction score
so unplug the harness from back of existing connector and jumper in this one and then use the flat one for the wiring of the light?

Yes, you are installing this inline just as you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread