5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory Inverter to Ram 1500 Lone Star

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I recently flew from Florida to Texas to purchase a new Lone Star Edition Ram 1500. I got a great price, and love the truck. I do search and rescue, and was bummed when I got to the dealership and there were not power outlets in the truck. Evidently the truck I THOUGHT was coming with Package 2 came with Package one. But the almost $20k I saved off sticker made it something I decided to overlook. Katzkin interior went in immediately, and I put on running boards. So the truck looks great, but the gas mileage semi sucks the big one. That is my only complaint. I purchased a factory inverter and have a shop who will put it in for me. My question is this......

How much of a PITA is this going to be to have it wired in so I can have my emergency lights, laptop, etc when I am out in the field. One 12v power point on top of the center console is not going to cut it. I need the multiple AC plugs that Package 2 has. I have heard mixed responses regarding the wiring harnesses of the truck. Some people have said at the dealer that the plugs are in the harness but just not connected to anything. And other have said I need a completely new wiring harness and that is not not worth putting in factory power outlets. They have also said that if I put aftermarket in that I will void my warranty. That is the last thing I want to do with a truck that only has 2k miles on it. Other then a leak in the rear window by the sliding glass panel, I love the truck.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I have not been able to find any answers on this forum for the issue.

Thank you

Phil
Central Florida......

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the wiring diagrams since I believe some things are prewired on all trim levels, while other things are not. You also don’t have to worry about voiding a warranty because you put in an aftermarket inverter. The only time a warranty claim can be disclaimed, is if the item that failed can be tied directly back to what you did. For example, you put in an aftermarket inverter and your tranny blows, they can’t disclaim that. But if your power inverter causes an electrical failure and they can point to your inverter as the cause, that’s a different story. If it were me, I wouldn’t worry about putting in an inverter, it’s not a supercharger.

Depending on how much gear you have, one thing to consider while you’re doing this project, is to install an auxiliary battery. You can tie that auxiliary battery into your alternator so it charges and then run all your emergency gear, lights, outlets, etc, off of that battery. Just run a master wiring harness out to that battery from the cab, tap into that harness for all your gear. This way you don’t put a drain on your main battery and you also further reduce any chances of messing with your main electrical system.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I recently flew from Florida to Texas to purchase a new Lone Star Edition Ram 1500. I got a great price, and love the truck. I do search and rescue, and was bummed when I got to the dealership and there were not power outlets in the truck. Evidently the truck I THOUGHT was coming with Package 2 came with Package one. But the almost $20k I saved off sticker made it something I decided to overlook. Katzkin interior went in immediately, and I put on running boards. So the truck looks great, but the gas mileage semi sucks the big one. That is my only complaint. I purchased a factory inverter and have a shop who will put it in for me. My question is this......

How much of a PITA is this going to be to have it wired in so I can have my emergency lights, laptop, etc when I am out in the field. One 12v power point on top of the center console is not going to cut it. I need the multiple AC plugs that Package 2 has. I have heard mixed responses regarding the wiring harnesses of the truck. Some people have said at the dealer that the plugs are in the harness but just not connected to anything. And other have said I need a completely new wiring harness and that is not not worth putting in factory power outlets. They have also said that if I put aftermarket in that I will void my warranty. That is the last thing I want to do with a truck that only has 2k miles on it. Other then a leak in the rear window by the sliding glass panel, I love the truck.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I have not been able to find any answers on this forum for the issue.

Thank you

Phil
Central Florida......
Hey I have 19' Big Horn and I feel your pain! Did you ever figure out how to install A/C outlets? I do have usb ports in the rear but no outlet go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread