5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

dwengerram

Reaction score
If anyone could answer this that would be great!
Here are the parts that I bought from oempartsinc.com
I installed everything myself and had the dealership update the VIN and add trailer brake option for 1/2hr labor. BTW I ordered an extra nut (clip) and screw just in case I dropped either item during the install. We went camping the following weekend and the system worked great!
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68277136AF​
Module-Trailer Tow​
$79.09​
1​
$79.09​
6510468AA​
Nut​
$0.58​
4​
$2.32​
6101946​
Door Trim Panel Screw​
$0.52​
4​
$2.08​
68309259AC​
Switch-Instrument Panel​
$28.69​
1​
$28.69​
68346572AB​
Bracket-Module​
$1.32​
1​
$1.32​
Subtotal: $113.50​

dwengerram

Reaction score
Ordered the brake control parts from OEM Parts Inc. Fed Ex delivery is scheduled for Sunday. My appointment to update the display software to fix the radio signal is Monday afternoon. Hopefully I can talk them into flashing the trailer brake control at the same time for free. Towing a 23' hybrid camper next Friday so I need the brake controls.
Everything installed and works great! Dealership only charged 1/2 hr labor. I had to leave the truck there overnight so that the slow software upload could be completed.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I've actually already installed a Prodigy P3, but wouldn't mind the nicer cleaner install of the factory unit still. So I'm curious, does anyone know if the factory unit is progressive or time based controlled? The prodigy is fantastic, so I'll gladly keep it for being progressive rate. But if the factory one is also progressive then it gives me something to consider with how much nicer it looks.

downsjh

Reaction score
Factory uses your actual truck braking to determine how much trailer braking so closer to proportional/progressive but I would expect more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knelso4

Reaction score
Here are the parts that I bought from oempartsinc.com
I installed everything myself and had the dealership update the VIN and add trailer brake option for 1/2hr labor. BTW I ordered an extra nut (clip) and screw just in case I dropped either item during the install. We went camping the following weekend and the system worked great!
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68277136AF​
Module-Trailer Tow​
$79.09​
1​
$79.09​
6510468AA​
Nut​
$0.58​
4​
$2.32​
6101946​
Door Trim Panel Screw​
$0.52​
4​
$2.08​
68309259AC​
Switch-Instrument Panel​
$28.69​
1​
$28.69​
68346572AB​
Bracket-Module​
$1.32​
1​
$1.32​

Subtotal: $113.50​
Sites that support verifying that a part is compatible with with my truck (2019 Laramie Crew 5.7 with 8.4" screen) say the switch doesn't fit. I like the confidence that you have already done this -- was it on a similar truck?

Last edited:

travissmithoh

Reaction score
My dealer says they need to check for actual wiring harness plugs before installing the TBC. I thought all new 1500's had the same wiring harness and the plugs were just taped up or not. Can anyone tell me if there is an actual difference in the wiring?

downsjh

Reaction score
I believe all trucks have the wiring. I can say specifically, Bighorn level 1 equipment with no towing options, had the wiring.

Farrel

Reaction score
Looks like everybody is having fun with this brake controller!
Here is my story: brand new 2019 Laramie 4x4 V8 did not come with the trailer brake controller so when I bought it the truck the dealer agreed to get one (back ordered, of course) and pay my local dealer to install it.
It finally came in last week so I made an appointment with my local dealer and they installed it.
Here are my problems:
The settings look right on dash display showing light elect, heavy elect, etc and the displays changes as expected with the application of brakes or the “squeezy” knob on the controller. The gain changes just fine with pressing the + and - buttons. This is without a trailer attached.
BUT, when I hook up the trailer (known good wiring from years of towing) the dash displays “trailer brakes disconnect” “check trailer wiring.”
IN ADDITION, the + and - symbols DO NOT ILLUMINATE with all the other dash lights!
So what have I got here? A bad installation or bad hardware?
Has anyone seen this?
I even bought the Curt wireless trailer brake controller prior to the installation of the factory hardware and it worked PERFECTLY with my trailer!
IDEAS?

deanfx

Reaction score
Looks like everybody is having fun with this brake controller!
Here is my story: brand new 2019 Laramie 4x4 V8 did not come with the trailer brake controller so when I bought it the truck the dealer agreed to get one (back ordered, of course) and pay my local dealer to install it.
It finally came in last week so I made an appointment with my local dealer and they installed it.
Here are my problems:
The settings look right on dash display showing light elect, heavy elect, etc and the displays changes as expected with the application of brakes or the “squeezy” knob on the controller. The gain changes just fine with pressing the + and - buttons. This is without a trailer attached.
BUT, when I hook up the trailer (known good wiring from years of towing) the dash displays “trailer brakes disconnect” “check trailer wiring.”
IN ADDITION, the + and - symbols DO NOT ILLUMINATE with all the other dash lights!
So what have I got here? A bad installation or bad hardware?
Has anyone seen this?
I even bought the Curt wireless trailer brake controller prior to the installation of the factory hardware and it worked PERFECTLY with my trailer!
IDEAS?
Did they flash for the new hardware?

Farrel

Reaction score
The hardware was installed by my local dealer. I cannot know for sure. What would be the symptoms if they had not?

deanfx

Reaction score
The hardware was installed by my local dealer. I cannot know for sure. What would be the symptoms if they had not?
I had read that the lights on the controller didn't work. But, I'm no mechanic. I would just take it back and ask.

downsjh

Reaction score
Two items will tell if it’s flashed.

Do you have the Tow display screen on the instrument cluster? Cycle thru the displays, one should be towing.

Do you have the Tow settings menu on the radio truck settings menu, allowing to set a type and name?

Also, When a trailer with brakes is plugged in, I get a message on the instrument cluster that a trailer is attached.

Farrel

Reaction score
Two items will tell if it’s flashed.

Do you have the Tow display screen on the instrument cluster? Cycle thru the displays, one should be towing.

Do you have the Tow settings menu on the radio truck settings menu, allowing to set a type and name?

Also, When a trailer with brakes is plugged in, I get a message on the instrument cluster that a trailer is attached.

I get all of the items on the list. However, when I pull forward about 5 feet, I immediately get “check trailer brake wiring’ and no action on the trailer brakes.
I have a Curt wireless trailer brake controller that proves my trailer brake wiring is just fine. Brakes work perfectly.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I get all of the items on the list. However, when I pull forward about 5 feet, I immediately get “check trailer brake wiring’ and no action on the trailer brakes.
I have a Curt wireless trailer brake controller that proves my trailer brake wiring is just fine. Brakes work perfectly.
View attachment 33371
Based on all described symptoms I would suspect that one of the wiring harnesses either was not connected properly or got loose. Brake Controller installation involves installing two modules and connecting two harnesses. One thing you can do is to buy 7-pin tester, around $9, and see if you get voltage reading on the 7-pin end while pressing brake pedal or manual lever. If no voltages detected either DIY check harnesses to modules or take it to dealer and use 7-pin tester as a proof of a problem.

Farrel

Reaction score
I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!
The problem was the intermittent nature of the “short” in the system. I had a short to ground that didn’t always look like a short. Sometimes the short has enough resistance to allow the brakes to briefly operate.
Stupid me, a couple of months ago I replaced all the brake backing plates and drums with new ones. One of the backing plates had a hot wire pinched under it (see pic) that didn’t alway conduct to ground.
Bottom 7A117D9E-9522-416D-B0FE-638B3F1F674B.png line: all is working now!

brotharon

Reaction score
I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!
The problem was the intermittent nature of the “short” in the system. I had a short to ground that didn’t always look like a short. Sometimes the short has enough resistance to allow the brakes to briefly operate.
Stupid me, a couple of months ago I replaced all the brake backing plates and drums with new ones. One of the backing plates had a hot wire pinched under it (see pic) that didn’t alway conduct to ground.
Bottom View attachment 33794 line: all is working now!
Wow, glad you tracked that down. Grounded out wires can be a real challenge to track down sometimes. Now get out there and enjoy your working trailer brake controller!

Users who are viewing this thread