5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

19pearl

Reaction score
just got mine back from dealer today 180.00 flash fee , took the truck straight to camper to plug in . toggled thru dash option's and saw the trailer brake menu , to rest mile or set show brake gain.
no just waiting on sound to come back from disconnecting battery...

acat

Reaction score
Drove to dealer today, they did the software program once again, now the menu shows up.

acat

Reaction score
just got mine back from dealer today 180.00 flash fee , took the truck straight to camper to plug in . toggled thru dash option's and saw the trailer brake menu , to rest mile or set show brake gain.
I paid $89, haha

Magredvet

Reaction score
The prices quoted to get this flash are all over the map. $180 the highest and $35 the lowest. Apparently the "flash" takes less than 15 minutes...............some of these dealers are making out like bandits !
I may just run mine without the flash, I only use one trailer, and once I set the gain, I should be good to go. Just really irks me to pay these highway robbers over $150 for 15 minutes work !
Rant over...................

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
The prices quoted to get this flash are all over the map. $180 the highest and $35 the lowest. Apparently the "flash" takes less than 15 minutes...............some of these dealers are making out like bandits !
I may just run mine without the flash, I only use one trailer, and once I set the gain, I should be good to go. Just really irks me to pay these highway robbers over $150 for 15 minutes work !
Rant over...................
I know you should not have to do this.....but--call one of the dealerships that you know will do it for $89 and ask them to email you the quote. Take it to your "local stealership" and see if they will price match. Then explain that you would like to keep the business local its just that you can get a better deal if you drive a little bit farther. I had luck doing this with a BMW stealership's parts department. Maybe escalate it up to higher management at stealership if said person initially does not price match.

Magredvet

Reaction score
I know you should not have to do this.....but--call one of the dealerships that you know will do it for $89 and ask them to email you the quote. Take it to your "local stealership" and see if they will price match. Then explain that you would like to keep the business local its just that you can get a better deal if you drive a little bit farther. I had luck doing this with a BMW stealership's parts department. Maybe escalate it up to higher management at stealership if said person initially does not price match.
Well, I tried 3 dealers in Houston, and took the work order (the $35 flash) posted on here with me.
One quoted $165, the other, $150, and the third agreed to do it for $90 when I took it in for the recalls.
Dropped the truck off for the recall, and lo and behold, they can't remember the conversation we had (regarding the $90), and I should take it back to the selling dealer (the one that wanted $165), not only that, but they then said they didn't have the parts for the recall.
Getting cheaper rates in smaller cities may be possible, but it seems that here in Houston, NONE of them care about getting repeat service, and the online reviews of service are all terrible. One guy on here recommended a good dealer in a smaller town, but it's a 100 mile roundtrip.....I just may have to take that route.... sad but true.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Mine charged me $56 for the flash if I remember correctly. I told them there's no way it takes longer than 30 minutes and when I came back to pick it up that's about what they charged me for.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I am going in for a flash this Saturday, was quoted $89 as well, 1/2 hour.
Finally took truck to a dealer to perform 3 recalls and flash brake controller. In the end they charged me $75.
At First, when I called, I was given one hour quote or $150. Then when I came in person for scheduled appointment they quated me 1/2 hour $89 and said that they charge 190 an hour for 5th gen. Also told me that it will take longer then one day to do the work BS.
So I did not agree, and re-schedule for today and everything was done in 2 hours.
Also service rep (lady) was going to put one hour in the work order, when I mentioned about 1/2 hour she agreed to put 1/2 and asked me how much is that. I told her that what ever you charge , half of that, so she put $75 and I happy signed.

Now I am all set to plan one week TT rental sometime and go to Yosemite.

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
I know this isn't a bitching thread. But, this is my first Ram. I always drove Fords before and the dealerships were way easier to deal with after purchase and parts were not MSRP. Even oil changes at the dealerships were almost half the cost.

Fanman01

Reaction score
Just got my factory trailer brake installed for 419.00 plus tax. The dealership I bought my truck from didn't have any in stock and said they were on backorder. Second dealership I called had them in stock.

downsjh

Reaction score
An alternative to the dealer flashing the sales code, is to use AlphaOBD software to enable to settings.
AlphaOBD

dwengerram

Reaction score
Ordered the brake control parts from OEM Parts Inc. Fed Ex delivery is scheduled for Sunday. My appointment to update the display software to fix the radio signal is Monday afternoon. Hopefully I can talk them into flashing the trailer brake control at the same time for free. Towing a 23' hybrid camper next Friday so I need the brake controls.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I installed all the hardware myself and the dealership charged me $64 to flash it, seems very reasonable to me.

mbi777

Reaction score
Just called the dealership where I bought my truck on the tow brake. They quoted me $299 for the parts and $219 labor to install. Was going to buy some aftermarket tow brake controllers, but for the money I paid for the truck and the camper I better go with factory installed product.

Raydar

Reaction score
Just got my controller (and rear wheelwell liners) today.
I've been calling around for prices to get the controller programmed. Everyone is quoting between $129 and $179. 1 hour. (One dealer quoted $250, but that's not a surprise. They're one of those "bend you over" stealerships. Always have been.)

Edit - Just had another dealer to call me back. Said he could do it in a half hour. Didn't even need an appointment - just call ahead and clear it with him. $75. :D
(Based upon other things I've heard about this dealer, I'm also not surprised.)

Regarding AlphaOBD... I don't have any problem doing that. As a matter of fact, it sounds like it might be fun. :D
However...
I wonder if it will conflict with their system, if I ever have to take it into the stealership for service. It would chap my azz if they deleted the programming, since it's not in their system. It would REALLY chap my azz to have them try to void my warranty, even though I figure that's probably illegal.

Last edited:

steveo436

Reaction score
I had my brake controller installed yesterday on my new 2019 Rebel. It was $299 for the parts and about $130 labor. I was able to apply this coupon that I found on the Mopar site and they took 15% off both parts and installation cost, so it wasn't too bad. I'll attach the coupon here in case anyone else can use it at their dealer.

Senior Chief

Reaction score
Part # 82215278AE is the correct controller for the DT, i got my on EBAY from these guys https://www.ebay.com/usr/fallsmoparcity?_trksid=p2047675.l2559.
I tried my local dealerships and they all told me that at $184.00 was at of below their cost.
Installed my self, bought the plastic interior tools at Harbor freight.
the dealer wanted $150.00 to flash. I wen to the finance manager and told him since i juste bought the truck a few weeks ago to hook me up, slipped the tech $40 and on my way.

brotharon

Reaction score
Just got my controller (and rear wheelwell liners) today.
I've been calling around for prices to get the controller programmed. Everyone is quoting between $129 and $179. 1 hour. (One dealer quoted $250, but that's not a surprise. They're one of those "bend you over" stealerships. Always have been.)

Edit - Just had another dealer to call me back. Said he could do it in a half hour. Didn't even need an appointment - just call ahead and clear it with him. $75. :D
(Based upon other things I've heard about this dealer, I'm also not surprised.)

Regarding AlphaOBD... I don't have any problem doing that. As a matter of fact, it sounds like it might be fun. :D
However...
I wonder if it will conflict with their system, if I ever have to take it into the stealership for service. It would chap my azz if they deleted the programming, since it's not in their system. It would REALLY chap my azz to have them try to void my warranty, even though I figure that's probably illegal.
I know people are going to disagree with me, but I assure you that is not how computers work. If you use alfaobd you are just changing set bits in the system to tell it that features have been installed. Even if they reflashed your ECU and it cleared those bits you would be able to reset it back to operational in 5 minutes.
I will only speak to the warranty to say that if they refuse to warranty repair it the parts were so cheap that I will just put new ones on...and would probably anyways since i would rather fix it myself for 50 bucks than spend a whole day at the dealership. A day of my time is worth more than 50 bucks to me.

Users who are viewing this thread