5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding blinks to turn signal

Tones1975

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's possible to change the amount of flashes from the turn signal from the default of 3 to a higher number? I find that I'm barely starting my lane change by the time the signal hits the 3rd flash.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot recall if it was here or on another forum, but this was brought up before. Some think 4 flashes would be a better number, or user-programmable to some extent.

I am not sure if Tazer or other programmers/modifiers allow this, but I know the FCA mothership doesn't allow this to be changed (even by dealers).

Jeff B

Reaction score
Wait ..im supposed to use turn signals ?? Huh

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in 1964, in high school driver education, I was taught to use hand signals. Left arm straight out for a left hand turn. Left arm up for a right hand turn. Except for my eyes, no blinking was involved. :D It was also important to have the window rolled down. Other hand gestures were learned later in life.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
What makes me wonder, is how little commonality there is in the speed the signals flash/blink/turn-on/off

When I'm sitting at a stop light there doesn't seem to be two cycling at the same frequency out of the entire line of vehicles. It would be cool if the vehicles sync'd up and did the wave or something to make waiting at stop lights more interesting.

Grouper

Reaction score
Maybe I'm completely missing the intent of the question but I can only infer that the discussion is about a quick, momentary tap-and-release of the turn signal lever?

If so, I'm not really sure how this is a problem. I was taught 35 years ago that turn signal stalks are spring loaded and when changing lanes, to simply hold pressure on the stalk until the lane change is complete (without fully placing the lever into the hands-free detent).

Something tells me I'm stating the obvious and I must be missing the intent of the original post.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha...not really sure how else you would interpret the question. Yes, that's what he's asking about...quick tap and release. Your method is what I used to do before they started including the easier tap and release method. You can color me lazy I guess :D

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah 3 blinks does suck.

On some trucks the signal blinks 5 times if the truck detects that a trailer is connected. I wonder if connecting something to the 4-pin at the rear bumper would trick it into blinking 5 times always? Hmmm

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah 3 blinks does suck.

On some trucks the signal blinks 5 times if the truck detects that a trailer is connected. I wonder if connecting something to the 4-pin at the rear bumper would trick it into blinking 5 times always? Hmmm
I haven't towed anything so I haven't seen this. Maybe enabling tow/haul mode enables it? Easier for me to test that since I don't have anything to tow LOL. 5 blinks would make more sense I think.

johnehr

Reaction score
I haven't towed anything so I haven't seen this. Maybe enabling tow/haul mode enables it? Easier for me to test that since I don't have anything to tow LOL. 5 blinks would make more sense I think.

On my Gen 4 2014 Laramie, enabling Tow/Haul caused the blink count to change to 6. Without Tow/Haul on it was 3. Not sure if it is the same on the 5th Gen trucks though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
On my Gen 4 2014 Laramie, enabling Tow/Haul caused the blink count to change to 6. Without Tow/Haul on it was 3. Not sure if it is the same on the 5th Gen trucks though.

Crap, I forgot to test that on my way home from work yesterday. Drove the Audi today so I'll have to wait until the next time I drive my truck. With my memory lately I probably won't remember then either LOL.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On Fords you can change it in Forscan. I don't think you can change it on Rams. But I've only had my truck 1 day, lol.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Maybe I'm completely missing the intent of the question but I can only infer that the discussion is about a quick, momentary tap-and-release of the turn signal lever?

If so, I'm not really sure how this is a problem. I was taught 35 years ago that turn signal stalks are spring loaded and when changing lanes, to simply hold pressure on the stalk until the lane change is complete (without fully placing the lever into the hands-free detent).

Something tells me I'm stating the obvious and I must be missing the intent of the original post.
I was just looking to see if the tap feature on the signal stalk could be programmed to have an extra blink or two. It's not a big deal; was just wondering. I definitely have my answer at this point. It's not and enabling tow/haul mode doesn't add any flashes. Also the spring load only shuts it off after turning a corner and not after a lane change.

Tones1975

Reaction score

Doesn't change the number of flashes; just tried it.

Just tried enabling tow/haul mode and it didn't add any flashes

Grouper

Reaction score
Also the spring load only shuts it off after turning a corner and not after a lane change.
No, you're conflating the difference between the spring loaded position and the detent position.

The detent does as you describe. In other words, you can place the turn signal lever in the detent, take your hands off the stalk and the turn signal will stay on forever if driving straight or it will self cancel after completing a hard turn (like a corner).

The spring loaded position is achieved by simply holding slight, constant pressure on the turn signal stalk, without pushing it all the way into the hands off detent. You are simply holding slight pressure against the spring and the turn signal will remain on as long as you keep your finger/pressure on the stalk. As soon as you remove your finger/pressure, the stalk returns to the neutral (off) position.

This is how I have been changing lanes for 35+ years. I honestly thought this was common knowledge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online