5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add-On CD Player

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok kids, this question is for those of us who want to play CDs - I've already read through the threads where the thumb-drive/etc folks handed down their judgement, not looking for that input.

I found an add-on cd player on Amazon, wondering if anyone has used this or one like it:

taz2016

Reaction score
I can't speak to the one on Amazon but it appears to be the same as the two I bought from Ebay. My 2019 1500 came with a CD player so I haven't tried it in the Ram - yet. We bought them for a C7 Corvette and a 2018 Honda Crv that did not come with CD players. They are plug and play and work perfectly on both of those vehicles. The radio controls and the steering wheel controls work on both of the mentioned vehicles. They were much cheaper on Ebay but it appears the cheapest ones are now $250. You might try a more thorough web search and see if they can be found for less elsewhere.
When I get a chance I'll plug one into the Ram and see if it works.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I can't speak to the one on Amazon but it appears to be the same as the two I bought from Ebay. My 2019 1500 came with a CD player so I haven't tried it in the Ram - yet. We bought them for a C7 Corvette and a 2018 Honda Crv that did not come with CD players. They are plug and play and work perfectly on both of those vehicles. The radio controls and the steering wheel controls work on both of the mentioned vehicles. They were much cheaper on Ebay but it appears the cheapest ones are now $250. You might try a more thorough web search and see if they can be found for less elsewhere.
When I get a chance I'll plug one into the Ram and see if it works.
It seems a little pricey, but the fact that it is supposed to work with factory controls is what sealed my interest. I really wanted to find someone who had used one, just to confirm that it worked sufficiently. The only other concern I had was whether or not cd's would skip, but I think that probably depends as much on how you mount it and your driving patterns as much as anything else. Thanks for the input!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Well my 2019 Ram came with a cd player already in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you like to play cd's then you are one of the last lucky ones. 19 was the last year for cd players in Rams

whetrick1

Reaction score
If you like to play cd's then you are one of the last lucky ones. 19 was the last year for cd players in Rams

Yeah I like to play cds every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
good deal glad it was plug & play wonder if it will work on a 2021 with the 12"
I would say it is quite possible. Automotive Integrated Electronics is the brand name, on Amazon. You could certainly ask them

HemiDude

Reaction score
A couple points to be aware of if you are looking at this: One, it does not display any song or title information, other than track 1, 2 etc... I knew that going in so it doesn't bother me. Second, if you pop out a CD and insert another, the new CD begins on the track you left off in the first i.e. 1st cd was playing track 9, when you pop the new cd in it starts playing track 9. It has something to do with the indexing program. Again, no biggie to me, I've had my cd's long enough I know what tracks I want to listen to.

Last edited:

SSW

Reaction score
I think that I would be interested in this player because we have a number of books on cd that we would listen to on long road trips.

Svt40

Reaction score
My question is, can you retrofit the OEM CD player from a 19 into the newer trucks? Plug and play?

Users who are viewing this thread