5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add OEM remote start...?

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried searching the forums really quickly from my phone and didn’t find what I was looking for.

Has anyone added an OEM remote start to their truck? Is it something we can do? I wouldn’t mind doing this to mine as I would like to start it in the winter.

It’s just another thing I’d like to do to my truck, but I’m not sure if it’s doable.

Thank you!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

79 300

Reaction score
When I had my 2013 Ram I asked the dealer about it. You would need new key fobs, which for the 2019 would be pricey. I believe they quoted me around $500 back then, but the 2013 had a cheaper fob. That would have been parts and labor.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
My dealer said they'd charge me around $200 for a '17 fob back at the start of the year. I can manage the $200 for just one fob for now and then whatever it needs to get it to work. Perhaps I need to call my dealership and enquire. :D

I'm one of those guys that would rather have one key instead of two, and I'm willing to pay for it. :)

Thank you both for your reply!

Btdpi007

Reaction score
Not OEM but another 3rd party option and the install looks pretty straightforward. I already have remote start from the fob, but I miss the iPhone app remote start I had in my prior Chevy. I've thought about adding this so I can also add iPhone remote start from anywhere.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
What is a Fobiks key exactly? Is that another fob that needs to be programmed, or is it something that goes into your existing key?

KRField

Reaction score
What is a Fobiks key exactly? Is that another fob that needs to be programmed, or is it something that goes into your existing key?

The fobiks are the key fobs. It comes with 2 new ones that get programmed to the truck. The instructions point out that the dealer needs to make sure to return new and old fobiks to the customer as the old fobiks remained programmed to the truck. This does require a dealer to flash the bcm to activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I would go with the aftermarket kit linked above. I have remote start on mine but kinda miss the smartphone capabilities that i had on my GMC and Chevy.

deanfx

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mopar accessory page has OEM for around 300. Install yourself and have the dealer program it.

Moniter1

Reaction score
I just spoke to the dealer yesterday. The mopar remote start kit runs about 300 bucks. It's another 250 to install and program. I'm not sure how complex the install is, or how much installing it yourself will cut off the total price, but $550 plus compared to 300 bucks for the aftermarket kit seems like a no brainer to me.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Installing it yourself is super easy, just take your time. I’ll be undergoing the install in the summer.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Yep! Anything I do is Mopar. I don’t use anything but OEM unless it’s the only item for the job. Just a personal thing, I guess. That way I know it is guaranteed to work if/when installed.

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Yep! Anything I do is Mopar. I don’t use anything but OEM unless it’s the only item for the job. Just a personal thing, I guess. That way I know it is guaranteed to work if/when installed.
Hate to break it to you, OEM equipment fails just as much of the time as aftermarket parts can fail. If he has the level 1 group, he cant add the uconnect smartphone capability and thats one thing i wish I would’ve done, get my level 1 truck with the remote start and add the kit i linked above so i can have the smartphone capability. So much nicer.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’m not talking about parts breaking, I’m well aware of the failure rates. :)

Cliffy

Reaction score
I just spoke to the dealer yesterday. The mopar remote start kit runs about 300 bucks. It's another 250 to install and program. I'm not sure how complex the install is, or how much installing it yourself will cut off the total price, but $550 plus compared to 300 bucks for the aftermarket kit seems like a no brainer to me.
Man wtf kind of dealer do I have haha...my dealer quoted me $1300 for everything adding to a bighorn with push button start. What a joke. I'd install myself if I knew the programming was not excessive cost.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Programming involves them flipping a switch in software in the BCM, I believe. My dealer charges me $50 for the privilege.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Sadly not. I moved into my new house with a heated garage if I really wanted to warm it up before going out. :)

I may still do it in the future, but I haven’t got much reason for it at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread